Need advise on first conti car

Ralliart99

Hi everyone, have shortlisted to a few models

1. Audi A6

2. Mercedes E class

3. BMW 5 Series

4. BMW 3 Series GT

4. Jaguar XF

we are not bias against any branding and these models fit our budget. have test driven the XF and yet to test the remaining

appreciate if you could give your views especially ex and current owners.

I am only narrowing down to these few models only

Have a terrific Monday !

I suppose reliability and maintainence cost are the list of your concern judging from the brands you shortlisted. I generally buy cars based on best value. Since conti cars is being refreshed after 3-4 years, it is best to buy something new. If I buy a conti car near its facelift, I will feel like shit when the faceliftee version is out as I would have to drive the 'old' car for the next few years.

Here is my take.

1. Audi A6 (new facelift with new headlights coming in a few months time)

2. Mercedes E class (new model coming early 2016)

3. BMW 5 Series (new model coming late 2016)

4. BMW 3 Series GT (why pay a mid sized sedan money for a compact car)

4. Jaguar XF (new model just released)

If you can wait, audi would be good. If not, bmw or Merc then.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

(edited)

1. Audi A6 - Haven't driven one before but the current one looks uninspiring on the road. Doesn't make me want to steal second glances.

2. Mercedes E class - This is FL model, outgoing already, new model coming soon. Current gen one doesn't drive well, noisy drivetrain.

3. BMW 5 Series - Also EOL soon, new model soon. Handsome car, engines are better now with force induction.

4. BMW 3 Series GT - Don't like the exterior shape and proportions.

5. Jaguar XF - This is also another outgoing model.

I prefer driving current gen car.. instead of driving old model or non current gen, but that is just me. Also, at this budget, you have other options too.

6. Lexus GS350

7. Infiniti Q50

8. BMW 4 Series Grancoupe (The 4 door version)

9. Audi A7 Sportback (Recently FL IIRC)

My 2cents.

Edited by Nissan833
  • Praise 1

driven the new e class brand new, damn shiok, no strains, it is E250

BMW heard it is not so reliable,

Q50 is good, merc engine and GB, from the E25, basically, I would go for E250 or Q50, Lexus GS 350 also can consider

Supercharged

1. Audi A6 - looks the same like its sibling, no identity. my experience says bad reliability

2. Mercedes E class - looks nice but feel small and like on road taxi. yet to own one but heard better reliability among all

3. BMW 5 Series - my experience says good handling and size but build quality not good unless 7series or 5GT onwards

4. BMW 3 Series GT - ugly

4. Jaguar XF - best looking but no comment yet to own one but my experience say service from wearnes is good.

Q50 yes indeed a steal but not in the same league

conclusion I will go for the new XF.

TS, u mentioned that the short listed cars fit your budget, but have you factored in the maintenance costs? Whatever the brand you ultimately choose, it also depends on your luck.......eg., certain brands known for reliability but it may still has issues, may it be major or minor.

TS, u mentioned that the short listed cars fit your budget, but have you factored in the maintenance costs? Whatever the brand you ultimately choose, it also depends on your luck.......eg., certain brands known for reliability but it may still has issues, may it be major or minor.

Agree etter reliability doesnt mean u wont tio lemon car. It all depends on luck as well. For sure that all th 5 brands mentioned by TS has high maintenance fee

I suppose reliability and maintainence cost are the list of your concern judging from the brands you shortlisted. I generally buy cars based on best value. Since conti cars is being refreshed after 3-4 years, it is best to buy something new. If I buy a conti car near its facelift, I will feel like shit when the faceliftee version is out as I would have to drive the 'old' car for the next few years.

Here is my take.

1. Audi A6 (new facelift with new headlights coming in a few months time)

2. Mercedes E class (new model coming early 2016)

3. BMW 5 Series (new model coming late 2016)

4. BMW 3 Series GT (why pay a mid sized sedan money for a compact car)

4. Jaguar XF (new model just released)

If you can wait, audi would be good. If not, bmw or Merc then.

totally agree on this

sucks if you get a new car only to find out the face lift is coming out in a few months time. of course face lift cars will definitely be more ex than the outgoing model

yes, I understand it will no longer be the low maintenance costs like japanese B&B cars and I am prepared for it but not to the extend I have to pay an arm and leg over the first few years and everything starts breaking before the normal wear and tear period

If you're going to stump up the money for one of those, you should choose the one your heart tells you to go for (after test driving, of course!). There may be some differing degrees of reliability among the cars but I don't think, for the models you've shortlisted, that it's a show-stopping consideration.

• Praise 1

5 series for me.

I feel that A6 should only be there because of the price.

Nice interior but why pay so much for a Conti for a CVT transmission (which is going to be phased out for Audi) and FWD.

Also i remember (since its a FWD) they have a hump at the back seats (like a divider) - makes the 3rd person (if 3 persons sitting at the back) legs split uncomfortably.... I asked the SE why?? he malu malu says they are like that only , Also the car a little dated ... but its a good car ... it all depends on what your requirements finally are and life style too

• Praise 1

Also i remember (since its a FWD) they have a hump at the back seats (like a divider) - makes the 3rd person (if 3 persons sitting at the back) legs split uncomfortably.... I asked the SE why?? he malu malu says they are like that only , Also the car a little dated ... but its a good car ... it all depends on what your requirements finally are and life style too

Almost all of the german cars have this feature. Bo bian one not like Japanese cars.

(edited)

Hi everyone, have shortlisted to a few models

1. Audi A6

2. Mercedes E class

3. BMW 5 Series

4. BMW 3 Series GT

4. Jaguar XF

we are not bias against any branding and these models fit our budget. have test driven the XF and yet to test the remaining

appreciate if you could give your views especially ex and current owners.

I am only narrowing down to these few models only

Have a terrific Monday !

Went through a similar exercise, thought I will share my thoughts.

A6 drive is not that engaging (it is not TT or A5) and the branding is one notch below the Mercedes and BMW. Look wise also not quite there with the Jag, E and 5 (in that order).

Jag XJ is a beauty but cost at least 40k (OMV is 70k) more than the E and 5. (not in my shortlist, so never really check out the discount).

The design of BMW 3 GT is an acquired taste and does not quite fall in anywhere in the above equation. Drive should however be good but I would get the 5 over the 3 anytime.

So we are left with BMW 5 and E, which is easy to decide, performance/ drive versus comfort/ look/ reliability.

Some might not agree on reliability thingy but my last visit to a transmission workshop convinced me BMW GB may not last the full 10 years if you drive it like a BMW (I usually keep my car for 10 years). And if you drive like an Ah Pek, why get a BMW in the first place, my twisted logic.

So got money to burn and have a spare car at home, buy the BMW as the drive is noticeably better than the E.

Now you have to decide if it is the 520, 528, E200 or E250.

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

Almost all of the german cars have this feature. Bo bian one not like Japanese cars.

I would not call it a feature since there is no rear wheel axle below it so why have the hump??? It makes the leg space smaller - the Japs one is hardly no more than 2 inches high hump, so it frees up more space too

• Praise 1

Went through a similar exercise, thought I will share my thoughts.

A6 drive is not that engaging (it is not TT or A5) and the branding is one notch below the Mercedes and BMW. Look wise also not quite there with the Jag, E and 5 (in that order).

Jag is a beauty but cost at least 40k (OMV is 70k) more than the E and 5. (not in my shortlist, so never really check out the discount).

The design of BMW 3 GT is an acquired taste and does not quite fall in anywhere in the above equation. Drive should however be good but I would get the 5 over the 3 anytime.

So we are left with BMW 5 and E, which is easy to decide, performance/ drive versus comfort/ look/ reliability.

Some might not agree on reliability thingy but my last visit to a transmission workshop convinced me BMW GB may not last the full 10 years if you drive it like a BMW (I usually keep my car for 10 years). And if you drive like an Ah Pek, why get a BMW in the first place, my twisted logic.

So got money to burn and have a spare car at home, buy the BMW as the drive is noticeably better than the E.

Now you have to decide if it is the 520, 528, E200 or E250.

Very nice analysis and narrowing down for me :)

Btw just to share I test drove the jag 2.2 diesel, when I floor the pedal can feel the g force pull me backwards . The diesel torque is really shiok. Will test drive the 5 and e class before deciding . Really appreciate all your views guys

• Praise 1

(edited)

450nm of torque on the diesel XF... Song song. However new model XF launching soon and its a total change from interior to exterior so unless u really dont mind. In the end u will tell yourself that you should have waited.. Now u r stuck with old face..haha and u will dislike your car everyday.

What is your annual mileage like?

I clocked 10k km within 4mths ownership of my car.. Shag..im thinking of switching to xf 2.2d from a bmw 316i

Road tax almost x3.5 of current $650

Diesel is cheaper

Insurance should be about the same

Maintenance should be about the same (i do enjoy bmw free svcing for 3yrs/60k kmdue to citibank staff corporate tieup)

Yesterday i saw a Jag XJ on Nshw at road side with tow truck... Haha the chio bu passenger face sibeh sian when she standing along the road..somemore raining

Edited by Rayoflight

I would not call it a feature since there is no rear wheel axle below it so why have the hump??? It makes the leg space smaller - the Japs one is hardly no more than 2 inches high hump, so it frees up more space too

for their 4 wheel drive variant?

Reliability, then E is the best bet! Go for it!!

Most important is reliability amongst these brands and maintenance cost

of course if you talk about reliability, Toyota wins them all hands down but how about these brands in particular ?

↡ Advertisement