5 injured after gas can exploded at steamboat restaurant

Yamapi

Twincharged
(edited)

Many would have expected such gas canister's safety-standard have been improved greatly over the last decade. Looks like it is still not so safe.

It is the people handling the equipment. As I read the news article it was mentioned that they complaint to the staff that the stove keep giving click sound and cause the stove not being able to fire completely as it click the fire distinguished. So the staff put a paper to the gap to stop clicking sound. So perhaps it's a telltale sign that the equipment is faulty but they never change a not faulty one. So cannot because of this ban the use of gas can stove leh?

If ban this later they go on the electric one. Then same thing equipment faulty but never change and then someone tio electric shock how? Also ban the electric stove?

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

It is the people handling the equipment. As I read the news article it was mentioned that they complaint to the staff that the stove keep giving click sound and cause the stove not being able to fire completely as it click the fire distinguished. So the staff put a paper to the gap to stop clicking sound. So perhaps it's a telltale sign that the equipment is faulty but they never change a not faulty one. So cannot because of this ban the use of stove leh?

If ban this later they go on the electric one. Then same thing equipment faulty but never change and then someone tio electric shock how? Also ban the electric stove?

Thanks for pointing to the possible cause. I tot this was like previous incidents.

Supercharged

It is the people handling the equipment. As I read the news article it was mentioned that they complaint to the staff that the stove keep giving click sound and cause the stove not being able to fire completely as it click the fire distinguished. So the staff put a paper to the gap to stop clicking sound. So perhaps it's a telltale sign that the equipment is faulty but they never change a not faulty one. So cannot because of this ban the use of gas can stove leh?

Wah.... sry but I must say "see...I told u guys so.....svc staff treatment of the stove ".

My personal observations when I go n hv my traditional steamboat near old airport mkt, I see prc svc staff handle charcoal stove also same manner until I tell to be careful cos they could hurt themselves. If they do, no amount of $$ can compensate the pain n agony they will go thru.

Sometimes, we need to jot others not to put themselves in jeopardy.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

So how is business at that shop now? I foresee lawsuits coming at them..not sure whether they will run road...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I have never wanted to eat steamboat outside because of such possible danger. So every time I walked past steamboat restaurant, I always wonder why people are so crazy about it. I mean, didn't anyone thought about the danger sitting above some gas tanks or gas hoses which is designed based on profitability reasons?

Infact, I am so phobia about this that I use induction cooker at home. My built-in gas stove is still brand new after 10 years.

• Praise 3

Sinkieland become China liao lah... these type of incidents very common in China... operators (100% PRC) flaunting safety rules... boh chup...

next time won't be surprise whole shop explodes... better stay clear...

• Praise 1

Sinkieland become China liao lah... these type of incidents very common in China... operators (100% PRC) flaunting safety rules... boh chup...

next time won't be surprise whole shop sexplodes... better stay clear...

[grin]

Supercharged

Using a piece of paper as a makeshift solution on a device that burns would have set off all the safety alarms.

If I'm the customer, I would have insist they change another burner.

So how is business at that shop now? I foresee lawsuits coming at them..not sure whether they will run road...

business as usual :D

20150323n_cha03.jpg

Probably they will run back to ChongChing to continue their chong ching hotpot ...

Anyway, hopefully this can be a lesson for the rest of the hotpot restaurants here to beef up safety for their customers as well as their own waiter/waitress staffs...

And hopefully the 5 injured can get well soon, and get some compensation from this shop ...

Personally I'm quite paranoid. I'm always uncomfortable handling LPG items. even the small gas stoves we use outfield.

this is quite common in the past since the 80s, out in restaurants or even home used.

Now even get more common with korean bbq, sichuan steamboat, fish head steamboat, thai steamboat, etc....

singapore so hot but steamboat has become so popular [laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2

For restaurants I think it's safer to use electric or induction stove. Portable gas stoves still have its dangers. But it's cheap.

For restaurants I think it's safer to use electric or induction stove. Portable gas stoves still have its dangers. But it's cheap.

all about cost, electricity is expensive, period!

alternatively i has been visiting a sichuan steamboat that use gas pipe throughout the restaurant.

• Praise 1

I was abt to think of that :D

That's why they ganna burnt ....

Anyway, pls be careful when eating hotpot... the gas cylinder, the fire.. all these are fire hazards...

also, the food itself is a hazard... happened last time customers found tissue paper in the soup stock when served... seems like these shops recycle the soup stock from previous patrons... more flavor??? The raw food itself dun look hygienically stored...

Eat at your own risk in these kinda "budget" places... there's a reason for the food being cheap... something's gotta give.... [nosebleed]

• Praise 1

these going to be a long recovery for them. One of my gal got scalded last year...to enable her to have no scarring, doc need to remove all the dead skin and let the new skin grow while ensuring no infection sets in...its gonna be very costly...

Turbocharged

Hopefully the authorities come out with some new regulations to ensure fire safety at these steamboat establishments.

Maybe make it mandatory that all need to use induction cooker

Twincharged
(edited)

Hopefully the authorities come out with some new regulations to ensure fire safety at these steamboat establishments.

Maybe make it mandatory that all need to use induction cooker

I still feel that one or few accident do not justify the need to ban it. It is the person who handle the equipment that need to be taken to task. No matter what, there will surely have accidents, later use induction cooker also have accidents don't know what funny stories. Then also ban the use of induction cooker?

So sum up its not equipment fault it is human fault. They need to be able to identify telltale sign that the equipment is faulty and cannot be used.

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2