Kia Carens 2015: all new 7-seater arrives

yo2020

Turbocharged
(edited)

Simply because it is a Toyota? And it is common knowledge that Toyota fans can't see beyond the badge, so I shall not waste any time.

I know someone who will disregard any Hyundai because they're Korean. When I told him KIA was Korean they immediately changed their mind about KIAs even though they thought they were nice looking before. [hur]

And people wonder why the Japanese marques are advancing sort of slowly lately...

But that aside, I've never liked the Wish at all for some reason. No matter how often I saw it ever since it first arrived here, I just never liked it, whether being inside one of the taxis or what not. I understand it's popular for being a car-like mini-MPV, but still, it's just one of those things I just don't like.

Edited by 7hm
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Simply because it is a Toyota? And it is common knowledge that Toyota fans can't see beyond the badge, so I shall not waste any time.

If 1 or 2 person then we may think they can't see beyond..... but now is majority. Can not be so many gu gu right?

Singapore car is not cheap, all know how to get the best of it and find they most value for money.

• Praise 1

Now I look at the video, I think the look is better than Caren.

My friend booked a Caren without looking at WISH first. Now regret already. Hopefully the Caren don't give him too many problems.

If I may ask, what is the reason(s) for your friend's regret? If it's looks, it's largely subjective but if he's regretting something else, it would be interesting to know.

• Praise 1

Before I settled on my replacement car, I considered both the Carens and Wish.

Caren key likes:

- individual second row seats

- cruise control (I think they have it- recalling from memory)

- DRL

Caren key dislikes:

- old school AV system

- driver seating area is very cramp/low

- 3rd row seating space is almost non-existent.

- all black interior

- SE's monotonous droning - like he knows nobody will buy the Carens.

Wish key likes:

- very spacious

- proven quality and reliability

Wish key dislikes:

- boring exterior, equally boring dashboard design

- folding 2nd row seats can be troublesome (thought they fold lower than simply dropping the seatback)

The Carens is a more 'interesting' car. But if I have to decide between the two, it will be the Wish for me (even if it costs more). Just a decision driven by practical concerns. You can be a fanboy of a $1000 phone but being a fanboy involving a 6-digit guaranteed-to-lose-money purchase is something else altogether.

Now I look at the video, I think the look is better than Caren.

My friend booked a Caren without looking at WISH first. Now regret already. Hopefully the Caren don't give him too many problems.

Why your friend regret?

But honesty,this carens 3rd row space totally lose out to wish.Is not like wish 7-seater,is more like 5+2.The car length lose out to wish quite alot.But design wise,i think carens is better.

Why your friend regret?

But honesty,this carens 3rd row space totally lose out to wish.Is not like wish 7-seater,is more like 5+2.The car length lose out to wish quite alot.But design wise,i think carens is better.

If you are looking for a MPV, then 3rd row space is the most important. Exterior styling and interior design maybe secondary.

I guess majority brought the WISH as it has good 3rd row space among the mid size MPV.

I think the new Caren design is copy old picnic in certain view. Even the old Wish look better than Caren. The front of the Wish is very Aerodynamic. Caren is more boxy.

The price of Wish is more expensive than Caren and yet more people buying Wish than Caren. I couldn't find any reason why people choose Wish and not caren.

I believe people choose Wish rather than Caren based on the following points:

1) Wish is more spacious

2) Wish third row can seat 2 or 3 Adult

3) Wish is 1.8 cc and so road tax lower

4) FC for Wish is better than Caren

5) Wish's luggage space is also much bigger

Therefore based on practically, most people will choose Wish.

For me, I never like Wish as Wish does not have sliding door. I always believe MPV needs to have sliding door so that the second and back row passengers can come out of car park easily, especially in the tight squeeze car park.

I believe people choose Wish rather than Caren based on the following points:

1) Wish is more spacious

2) Wish third row can seat 2 or 3 Adult

3) Wish is 1.8 cc and so road tax lower

4) FC for Wish is better than Caren

5) Wish's luggage space is also much bigger

Therefore based on practically, most people will choose Wish.

For me, I never like Wish as Wish does not have sliding door. I always believe MPV needs to have sliding door so that the second and back row passengers can come out of car park easily, especially in the tight squeeze car park.

Actually what Wish win over Carens is mainly the 3rd leg room. Every family has priority when choosing a ride, and if that is the main criteria, then no fight. Else, Carens win handsdown at least in the look and quality department. Latest Wish is really utilitarian based on the rental ride I encountered recently. Road tax difference btw 1.8L and 2L is peanuts lah. Younger people would give Carens a chance, else easy to kill it off using 3rd row legroom excuse which btw is valid if you need that extra space over everything else.

I was in Toyota showroom yesterday, to test drive the WISH. Yup 3rd row seats was very impressive as compare to Caren. What fail for me is the price. at $150K it fails to justify the price. If it was at abt $130K range it would be worth the consideration. Pick up was average, Caren more responsive, and interiors Wish is really "JADED". Caren is quiter.

That all been said, I decided to go with Mazda 5, at $129k, best value for the bucks!! Nice interiors, responsive drive. Cabin insualtion not too bad, better than Wish, price just right, infact demo unit only selling at $125k++ Guarantee 2 bids. They have to give me the car before 30th june due to the CEV rebate for this car. Will miss the keyless entry and Drive !!

Sales person in Toyota could be better. I dont really feel welcome at Toyata as compare to Nissan, Kia, Mazda, Chevrolet, Honda, Hyundai.

Sure they have good sales ,,,, you can't sell your product if you believe only TOYOTA is "PREMIUM JAPANESE BRAND"(as per the salesman exact words). First contact with customer is key to you getting the sale !! Service with a smile is the premium not just your brand !!

I was in Toyota showroom yesterday, to test drive the WISH. Yup 3rd row seats was very impressive as compare to Caren. What fail for me is the price. at $150K it fails to justify the price. If it was at abt $130K range it would be worth the consideration. Pick up was average, Caren more responsive, and interiors Wish is really "JADED". Caren is quiter.

That all been said, I decided to go with Mazda 5, at $129k, best value for the bucks!! Nice interiors, responsive drive. Cabin insualtion not too bad, better than Wish, price just right, infact demo unit only selling at $125k++ Guarantee 2 bids. They have to give me the car before 30th june due to the CEV rebate for this car. Will miss the keyless entry and Drive !!

Sales person in Toyota could be better. I dont really feel welcome at Toyata as compare to Nissan, Kia, Mazda, Chevrolet, Honda, Hyundai.

Sure they have good sales ,,,, you can't sell your product if you believe only TOYOTA is "PREMIUM JAPANESE BRAND"(as per the salesman exact words). First contact with customer is key to you getting the sale !! Service with a smile is the premium not just your brand !!

Same cold feeling that Ive experienced when I was at BM. Maybe its my attire of shorts, flip flops & casio watch.

Which is why I will never consider any Toyotas in future. But Im still drooling at the NX200t though.

Congrats on getting M5. 10 years ago I also chosen M5 instead of Wish. You will sure happy with the drive as I have been happy for 10 year. But due to the current price way above my budget and so I downgraded to a 1.6 car. However when I went to Toyota show car I did encounter very friendly sales person who is very eager to sell me the Altis and even offer me discounts. So maybe the sales person you met was having bad mood on the day.

Hypersonic

If 1 or 2 person then we may think they can't see beyond..... but now is majority. Can not be so many gu gu right?

Singapore car is not cheap, all know how to get the best of it and find they most value for money.

You will surprise to see more Korea car than Japan on Germany road.

Back to local, my office already had a few example of hear said that Korea car not good. But they never own one. All this hear said was because Korean car really not good 10 to 15 years ago. But now is different.

• Praise 2

If you are looking for a MPV, then 3rd row space is the most important. Exterior styling and interior design maybe secondary.

I guess majority brought the WISH as it has good 3rd row space among the mid size MPV.

Yes,for me 3rd row space n powerful air-con is important so my family can sit in comfort.

Styling n gadget is secondary to me cos my family wont use all this.

Many years back i try the wish 3rd row in BM showroom.I m 1.82m n surpisingly able to fit in nicely.

Also try before the second generation carens(2005/06).3rd row totally cant fit-in at all even freed 3rd row still better.Colleage stream 3rd row is the same as carens(08) which i m driving now but my boot space no flight with stream,Totally cant put anything without cargo net cos things can drop-out very easily when open boot if no cargo net.

The new carens overall dimensions is smaller than the old carens so this is the weak point if space is concern.

After all these comparsion,I also find that wish is still a better choice,Full 7-seaters with a good boot.At least things wont drop-out when open boot unlike my carens,the boot is just to narrow.

As for reliability,korean is just as good as japan or thailand.Colleage 08 altis (same mileage as mine),more than 120k,air-con compressor changed 3mths ago.Mine still good.

You will surprise to see more Korea car than Japan on Germany road.

Back to local, my office already had a few example of hear said that Korea car not good. But they never own one. All this hear said was because Korean car really not good 10 to 15 years ago. But now is different.

Since you talk about Germany. You may go to taiwan car reviews channel to hear what they mention.

"Wish is the no. 1 selling in taiwan".

"Kia K5 selling price is not too far from other same cat competitors, it should be a big gap to win over sales."

I do not know why they must think that Kia have to sell much lower price than others? May be you can explain.

Congrats on getting M5. 10 years ago I also chosen M5 instead of Wish. You will sure happy with the drive as I have been happy for 10 year. But due to the current price way above my budget and so I downgraded to a 1.6 car. However when I went to Toyota show car I did encounter very friendly sales person who is very eager to sell me the Altis and even offer me discounts. So maybe the sales person you met was having bad mood on the day.

For M5, I think the look is quite similar to wish. The main different is sliding door.

I went to view the car with my wife and child. They walk out straight after sitting inside because the seat is so small.

Agreed with your comment on the sales person. It is very individual.

Hypersonic

Since you talk about Germany. You may go to taiwan car reviews channel to hear what they mention.

"Wish is the no. 1 selling in taiwan".

"Kia K5 selling price is not too far from other same cat competitors, it should be a big gap to win over sales."

I do not know why they must think that Kia have to sell much lower price than others? May be you can explain.

No point argue with you. Obviously you are Toyota die hard supporters like many others...

Why your friend regret?

My friend regretted because he book the caren without seeing other MPV. When he saw the wish, he find that the look is so much nicer than Kia. He find that Caren exterior is very dull and boring. Can not get attention at all.

My friend regretted because he book the caren without seeing other MPV. When he saw the wish, he find that the look is so much nicer than Kia. He find that Caren exterior is very dull and boring. Can not get attention at all.

Is your friend another die-hard Toyota fan? Console him by telling him not to worry as most people would find Carens more attractive unless they are die-hard Toyota fans.

• Praise 1

Chill guys! One man's meat is another man's poison. We will never be able to agree on whose car more chio or nicer etc one. :a-popcorn:

↡ Advertisement