2016 Honda Civic Patent Leaked

SeriousGuy

Few questions which come to my mind on this leak:

1) Is this the Asian version or the American one?

2) This concept sketch if true looks rather oversized for a 1.5l car, more suited to 2l?

3) Abit sad that Honda now goes the turbo route as they do make some of the best NA engines

previously (this strictly my personal opinion only)

We shall see but definitely an upgrade on the poorly received current model which lacks the appeal of the previous FD series.

If it is turbo, I don't see any problem...a 1.5L tubo engine can easily push out more torque than a 2.0L NA engine.

↡ Advertisement

simi patent? before you know it ... PRC car maker already release the similar design ... lol

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Cat B COE liao.

FDs were all Cat B cars anyway. And please our SG market only R16A 1.6 Civic is NOT counted hor. It was funded by KM back in 2006 for Honda to specially prepared a destroked R18A to 1.6L just for SG market. Although the engine was eventually adopted by Honda itself for a few other markets, it was NEVER meant to be a global engine nor a mainstream engine for Honda to use and market.

US market certainly didn't have it. Euro Civics were either diesels, 1.5L hybrids, or the good old R18A 1.8, JDM itself also don't have the R16A in ANY of their JDM Hondas. Our Asean markets FDs and even the current CMI FB Civics, were all R18A and K20Z... Only SG got the specially prep R16 for tax evasion purpose... which makes the Civic a even more slower boring machine than it was designed for. The FB Civic drive is a boring one, but our R16A engine makes the FB even slower and more boring. sigh.

Well that's what the honda city is for.

Or Jazz, HRV, or the JDM Fit Shuttle

Or better yet, jump ship to Korean makes for much better designed and equipped options :)

Kia Forte SX anyone?

I loved my FD3. It was a great car till the IMA battery started to deteriorate.
Regret not getting a FD2 then as they weren't far apart in price in 2007. When it was time to change car, I went straight back to KM but was totally put off by what seemed to be totally uncompetitive pricing.

FB Civic I've grown used to - see more on the roads now. Pity about the terrible KM pricing.

I've posted on KM's Facebook page that they really need to bring in models with better equipment, specifically don't bring in bare bones 2 airbag models esp when the cars are priced at a premium compared to rivals.

Perhaps if more people start posting on their FB page we can get through to them... (since they would not want the public to see the grouses of car lovers)....

The Honda I like now is the Vezel which seems to be far better value than the HRV.

• Praise 1

FDs were all Cat B cars anyway. And please our SG market only R16A 1.6 Civic is NOT counted hor. It was funded by KM back in 2006 for Honda to specially prepared a destroked R18A to 1.6L just for SG market. Although the engine was eventually adopted by Honda itself for a few other markets, it was NEVER meant to be a global engine nor a mainstream engine for Honda to use and market.

US market certainly didn't have it. Euro Civics were either diesels, 1.5L hybrids, or the good old R18A 1.8, JDM itself also don't have the R16A in ANY of their JDM Hondas. Our Asean markets FDs and even the current CMI FB Civics, were all R18A and K20Z... Only SG got the specially prep R16 for tax evasion purpose... which makes the Civic a even more slower boring machine than it was designed for. The FB Civic drive is a boring one, but our R16A engine makes the FB even slower and more boring. sigh.

True to some extent. If you want to compare FD to FB series it's obviously a downgrade for ppl who know the specs.

FD - launched as 1.8L or 2.0L, mated to a 5speed gb, long wheelbase of 2700mm for its category, it's also quite wide in width coz the turning circle is quite big.

FB - launch as 1.6L, 1.8L on indent only. mated to a cvt gb, shorten wheelbase less dan 2700mm, narrower in width. But the marketing ppl will tell you more roomy interior.

Most ppl would look at the overall car on what is being offered. If it's worse dan the predecessor what's the point?

True to some extent. If you want to compare FD to FB series it's obviously a downgrade for ppl who know the specs.

FD - launched as 1.8L or 2.0L, mated to a 5speed gb, long wheelbase of 2700mm for its category, it's also quite wide in width coz the turning circle is quite big.

FB - launch as 1.6L, 1.8L on indent only. mated to a cvt gb, shorten wheelbase less dan 2700mm, narrower in width. But the marketing ppl will tell you more roomy interior.

Most ppl would look at the overall car on what is being offered. If it's worse dan the predecessor what's the point?

The FB Civic is a prime example of how much Honda designers and corp itself has lost the plot in the name of cost cutting. In just one model change it went from super Civic to WTH-is-that Civic...

The FB still comes in 1.8L and 2L in most part of SE Asia and Taiwan. But the 2L is a R20A!, not the DOHC K20Z as found in the FD. Like that also can downgrade.... sigh...

this is why FB Civics are not even sold in JDM anymore. In JDM if u want a Honda sedan, you go for City, Accord, Legend... no more liao

The FB Civic drive is a boring one, but our R16A engine makes the FB even slower and more boring. sigh.

I drive a FD4. Not sure if the FB Civic has the same engine as the FD4 but IMO, the 1.6l FD4 engine is very responsive and amongst the best compared to other Jap 1.6l cars as I've driven quite a few including Mz3, Lancer, Sunny and Altis.

If your comparison is against the bigger 1.8l engines then I'm not sure.

Edited by Spring
  • Praise 9

Few questions which come to my mind on this leak:

1) Is this the Asian version or the American one?

2) This concept sketch if true looks rather oversized for a 1.5l car, more suited to 2l?

3) Abit sad that Honda now goes the turbo route as they do make some of the best NA engines

previously (this strictly my personal opinion only)

We shall see but definitely an upgrade on the poorly received current model which lacks the appeal of the previous FD series.

My answer:

1) if 1.5T, sure Asian version, American normally 2.0 or 2.4 NA,

3) because China favor TC, so Honda doesn't want to lose the world biggest market,

• Praise 1

My answer:

3) because China favor TC, so Honda doesn't want to lose the world biggest market,

US market only like big capacity big block V8 engines. TC engines are usually downsized which they do not like. If they want a power upgrade they just bolt on a supercharger. So you see their engine mods are usually a supercharged big capacity V8 engine. Old school.

TC are more for UK and Euro markets. As they are tax according to CO2 emission. Small capacity TC engines are seen as efficient and "green".

Little Japanese brand won't interest the Chinese.

• Praise 1

My answer:

Ah no, this time round, North American market will get the 1.5T engine as well. Becos this engine can pull close to 200hp straight off the factory, something the current K24Z 2.4L from the Accord can't even do. And it meets Euro 6 just fine.

The 1.5T will be the new global engine for Honda.

I don't know la. KM may continue to be stuck in the old mindset and have Honda to install the current R16A in this new Civic... just to keep it in Cat A... @#$%^&^

SG will then be the only country in the world to receive the new Civic without the new high tech 1.5T... !@#$%^ :(

Well if it do happened, you know which showroom I will end up in lor.. LOL

Ah no, this time round, North American market will get the 1.5T engine as well. Becos this engine can pull close to 200hp straight off the factory, something the current K24Z 2.4L from the Accord can't even do. And it meets Euro 6 just fine.

The 1.5T will be the new global engine for Honda.

I don't know la. KM may continue to be stuck in the old mindset and have Honda to install the current R16A in this new Civic... just to keep it in Cat A... @#$%^&^

SG will then be the only country in the world to receive the new Civic without the new high tech 1.5T... !@#$%^ :(

Well if it do happened, you know which showroom I will end up in lor.. LOL

expect KM can import both, see which one got good sell,

no doubt I will go for 1.5T, as long as it's price lower or close to Jetta 1.4T

• Praise 1

expect KM can import both, see which one got good sell,

no doubt I will go for 1.5T, as long as it's price lower or close to Jetta 1.4T

I will also need to see what kind of gearbox Honda is offering us this time round...

200hp with a CVT?! Ewwww.... its like driving with handbrake on.

Its either 6MT or 7DCT for the new Civic.

↡ Advertisement