RS Chip Tuning

azaouogh

I think there might have been some misunderstanding. I'm questioning RS Chip's ability to improve a car's performance not so much piggybacks in general. Race Chip seems to have their own wiring harness to plug into the various snesors in the car and not just tapping 4 wires from the OBD 2 port. Now that's legit. Don't get me wrong, I am aware of the gains a piggyback can give. I remember doing research on JuiceBox4 meant for the N54 engine when I was contemplating getting an E92 335i. At least that showed significant power gains and made sense.

Thanks for clearing that up, and sorry for the misunderstanding. I think it's fair to say that while both of us know a reasonable amount about tuning options, neither of us has any experience with this particular product. For my part, I will reserve judgement till more objective data is presented.

↡ Advertisement

In this world, everything needs black and white to prove that it has improved hp and torque. Someone please show some before and after results. i also interested.

the racechip sales staff at straits times car expo told me that racechip are only meant for turbo cars. is this correct?

how does unichip compare to rs chip?

the racechip sales staff at straits times car expo told me that racechip are only meant for turbo cars. is this correct?

how does unichip compare to rs chip?

That's probably true. Look at their show car. It's an RCZ which has a 1.6l turbocharged engine.

Hypersonic

Is it generic though? Don't you have to put in your car make and model before they take you to the right page? If it's generic, I share your concerns. The RaceChip is anything but generic - the module you get is highly specific to your make and model. The module for my F10 M5 is worlds apart in configuration from the one I used for my F20 M135i.

So, having no experience with the RS chip in particular, I cannot speak for or against it. But my point was that at least some piggybacks can work well and increase HP/torque, they're not snake oil.

hmm...i always thought that the chip is the same but just different settings on the 2 little knobs on the chipset inside for different cars and of course the different wiring plugs for different cars

in fact i understand 1 of the knobs is not even in use for TC petrol engines.

what do you mean when you say the module is highly specific for your make and model?

Edited by Enye

hmm...i always thought that the chip is the same but just different settings on the 2 little knobs on the chipset inside for different cars and of course the different wiring plugs for different cars

in fact i understand 1 of the knobs is not even in use for TC petrol engines.

what do you mean when you say the module is highly specific for your make and model?

Note that I am talking about the Racechip Ultimate. I am familiar with the modules for two cars, and they're really different. The M135i module has a single cable and single wiring harness, whereas the M5 module has two cables and two harnesses (for 2 different cylinder banks). Even the exterior configuration is wildly diffrent between modules for different models of the same make (both BMWs), and I'm assuming the "insides" are vastly different too.

Please don't advise people to do that. In the first place, modding for sound is a real ricer-ish thing to do. Secondly, an open pod kills the low end, which is a big part of the joy of street driving. Thirdly, an open pod often causes the car to run rich especially if the ECU is running off MAF. Running rich wastes fuel, fouls plugs and can cause backfires if you're catless. Finally, the open pod is much more sensitive to both heat soak and actual soak (from rains and floods) than the standard air filter box.

You don't need an open pod unless you've got a really big project planned, i.e. a top end monster. But in even a moderately modded car, the open pod does more harm than good.

I second this!

I had an open pod (Apexi) on my TC'd car. Not interested in the induction sound it gave. And with scangauge 2 equipped to show intake air-temp, I noticed that compared to stock, the open pod gave temps up to 10-15 deg C _higher_ in hot traffic conditions.

I put back the stock airbox with paper filter and felt that the low end improved and of course, intake temps went down.

Stick to stock box unless you are making an extreme drag/track car with all emphasis on top end power.

Note that I am talking about the Racechip Ultimate. I am familiar with the modules for two cars, and they're really different. The M135i module has a single cable and single wiring harness, whereas the M5 module has two cables and two harnesses (for 2 different cylinder banks). Even the exterior configuration is wildly diffrent between modules for different models of the same make (both BMWs), and I'm assuming the "insides" are vastly different too.

Boss, what can the N55 M135i be reasonably chipped to ah (keep stock turbine)? This is my potential next car.

Disregarding the warranty is easy when it's as sh!tty as the ones you get at Ah-Bengs-R-Us...I'm sorry, I meant MotorImage,

This one I super agree with four limbs up! Warranty my flaming arse. I don't even trust these MonkeyIdiots with an oil change.

Edited by Ake109

Boss, what can the N55 M135i be reasonably chipped to ah (keep stock turbine)? This is my potential next car.

Well, bro, I've never dyno-ed either of my M cars, but you can see the figures from the RaceChip website lah: http://www.racechip.com/chiptuning/bmw/1er/f20/m-135i-235/index.php

Look under the last column (for ultimate). "Serial" condition is stock output.

I had no trouble (no error codes, etc.) on the max setting so those figures are supposed to be what I was getting. Butt dyno feel - car flies even more than stock. You'll have *no* difficulty absolutely stomping the previous gen M3 (the N/A V8) into the ground from both a standstill and a rolling drag (even up to 200km/h - this has been tried and proven multiple times in the M convoy drives). You still cannot smoke the new M3, but you'll very comfortably be able to keep up.

This one I super agree with four limbs up! Warranty my flaming arse. I don't even trust these MonkeyIdiots with an oil change.

Haha. :D

PS: If you *do* get an M135i, you can check if I still have my Race Chip for sale. Give you cheap cheap if I still have it. :D

Edited by Turboflat4

Haha. :D

PS: If you *do* get an M135i, you can check if I still have my Race Chip for sale. Give you cheap cheap if I still have it. :D

Wei dont tempt me leh. Quarter million bucks leh...

The E92 M3, 100-200 quite kilat already leh, can 'stomp into the ground' still ah?

BTW, the 8HP450, can tahan that addition 20% torque hor? Any issues with yours or you didnt have it that long?

Wei dont tempt me leh. Quarter million bucks leh...

I found it a bargain for the performance I got. :D

The E92 M3, 100-200 quite kilat already leh, can 'stomp into the ground' still ah?

Yes. Assuming the M3 is stock and you're at least a fair driver. Nothing fancy needed, no need manual shifting, just put it in Sport+, stomp that pedal and stomp the other car into the ground. You'll be ahead up to about 150km/h, after which the M3 will catch up and be more or less even up to 200, but he will never be able to cleanly pass you even at that speed. The baby bimmer (M-power edition) really flies, especially with the chip in.

BTW, the 8HP450, can tahan that addition 20% torque hor? Any issues with yours or you didnt have it that long?

The 8-speed ZF is a good and strong auto trans. It can handle the torque. Just be sensible and don't max it out all the time (frequent brief sprints from the lights up to 70+ are fine). Given that you're driving in Singapore at least 90% of the time, it should be OK. Just stretch it out up North.

Edited by Turboflat4

I found it a bargain for the performance I got. :D

Yes. Assuming the M3 is stock and you're at least a fair driver. Nothing fancy needed, no need manual shifting, just put it in Sport+, stomp that pedal and stomp the other car into the ground. You'll be ahead up to about 150km/h, after which the M3 will catch up and be more or less even up to 200, but he will never be able to cleanly pass you even at that speed. The baby bimmer (M-power edition) really flies, especially with the chip in.

The 8-speed ZF is a good and strong auto trans. It can handle the torque. Just be sensible and don't max it out all the time (frequent brief sprints from the lights up to 70+ are fine). Given that you're driving in Singapore at least 90% of the time, it should be OK. Just stretch it out up North.

Dammit , bad influence you! I waiting for the F20 LCI later and see how. Sigh... at least quarter million....

Not many used M135i on sale leh.

The coming B58 engine, I wondering if they will nerf it to stop these non-M cars chasing the real M cars too close.

Edited by Ake109

Hi guys! This is my first post even though I've been a member of this forum for awhile.

I have the RS Chip in my 370Z and it has been slightly over a week and definitely more than 200km of driving since installation. This is my personal observation.....

There's an immediate improvement in throttle response as the RS Chip also alters the throttle position signals from the pedal. Don't think there's any actual BHP or Torque improvement at this point.

After driving close to 200km, I noticed an improvement in acceleration. I'm able to "redline" through the gears with ease. Prior to the addition of the product, my car was a little hesitant to pull all the way through to the rev limit from 3rd gear onwards but this is no longer a problem. Unfortunately, I don't have any before and after dyno results to show actual power gains.

I believe this product works especially if you have the usual bolt on mods for NA tuning like a free flowing intake and exhaust system. However, don't expect great power gains as the improvements in performance for NA engines are only marginal at best.

Don't flame me if it doesn't quite work well for your ride. [:)]

Hi guys! This is my first post even though I've been a member of this forum for awhile.

I have the RS Chip in my 370Z and it has been slightly over a week and definitely more than 200km of driving since installation. This is my personal observation.....

There's an immediate improvement in throttle response as the RS Chip also alters the throttle position signals from the pedal. Don't think there's any actual BHP or Torque improvement at this point.

After driving close to 200km, I noticed an improvement in acceleration. I'm able to "redline" through the gears with ease. Prior to the addition of the product, my car was a little hesitant to pull all the way through to the rev limit from 3rd gear onwards but this is no longer a problem. Unfortunately, I don't have any before and after dyno results to show actual power gains.

I believe this product works especially if you have the usual bolt on mods for NA tuning like a free flowing intake and exhaust system. However, don't expect great power gains as the improvements in performance for NA engines are only marginal at best.

Bro any improvement on fc?

Just wondering, isn't the chip designed for a stock car and not custom tuned? Does that mean that if you have a car with say modded intake and exhaust, the stock chip actually might not 'compensate' for those?

Twincharged

Hi,do you want to join our Fairlady "WhatApps" group.?

if my car has been remapped before, can RSCHIP work on the remap? since it is altering signals only?

Hi Pandaeyes!

If your car has been remapped, there's no point in getting this RS Chip thingy.

I got it as a "shortcut" to a full remap which I believe is still the ultimate solution to NA tuning. [scholar]

Bro any improvement on fc?

I haven't really monitored my FC as it's too early to tell. However, I doubt there would be any improvements in FC with the way I "normally" drive!

Just wondering, isn't the chip designed for a stock car and not custom tuned? Does that mean that if you have a car with say modded intake and exhaust, the stock chip actually might not 'compensate' for those?

Not sure about that... I do have a pair of Blitz Open Pods and Akrapovic Exhaust System and this RS Chip seems to add a few more horses to my car.

Hi,do you want to join our Fairlady "WhatApps" group.?

Yes! How do I get added to the group chat?!!! [bounce2]

Twincharged

Message me your number,i will ask Admin to add you,currently our group got 17 members,about 12 are 370z.

↡ Advertisement