Will used car price drop after 33% increment of COE in May?

Guanleng

should I hold back my purchase till may ?

if the coe drop to 50k ...might considered buying new car ...

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

Everybody for that period. Don't bet on getting the COE cheap.

• Praise 5

No. In fact will increase if coe drop cause 2nd hand dealer will say.... Best buy while waiting for coe to drop further. If coe stays, still best buy cos they say quantum low and can loan, blow balloon etc. If coe goes up, lagi best buy cos they know people buying goes to them cos they could not afford the high down payment for new.

Edited by Hosaybo
  • Praise 9

As good as asking will I strike 4D [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1

Agreed. I just spent $10 to buy toto. If tio toto big time then it does not matter if coe up or down.

Agreed. I just spent $10 to buy toto. If tio toto big time then it does not matter if coe up or down. Perhaps it is easier to calculate the possibility of one tioing toto than to predict coe prices.

Used car price won't drop much because there is a demand for used cars. After observing and talking to people in the industry, I realized the used car market is able to sell at such high depn per annum (as high as new cars or even higher than new cars in some instances), because:

1)50% down payment for new cars by AD which many still unable to afford or do not to fork out so much DP upfront

2)for resale market, the dealers are able to offer higher loan to customers, as high as 70% or even 80% (there is a catch of cos) and from what I heard, this is attractive to quite a sizeable portion of the market

As long as 50% and 5 yrs rule remain, the price for resale car will remain high.

• Praise 6

Used car price won't drop much because there is a demand for used cars. After observing and talking to people in the industry, I realized the used car market is able to sell at such high depn per annum (as high as new cars or even higher than new cars in some instances), because:

1)50% down payment for new cars by AD which many still unable to afford or do not to fork out so much DP upfront

2)for resale market, the dealers are able to offer higher loan to customers, as high as 70% or even 80% (there is a catch of cos) and from what I heard, this is attractive to quite a sizeable portion of the market

As long as 50% and 5 yrs rule remain, the price for resale car will remain high.

The government should tied the maximum loan for used car to the Scrap Value / Paper Value of the used cars. Then the price of used cars will drop.

• Praise 1

coe may be increase 33% but coe price decrease 10% only ... lol

may be stay put and worse cheong because those who scrap car also need to buy ... lol

Thats a million dollar question

good idea ... govt cry papa cry mama that sporean debt is alarming but do nothing to stop it

The government should tied the maximum loan for used car to the Scrap Value / Paper Value of the used cars. Then the price of used cars will drop.

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Went to view used cars and in one of the shops counted >35-40 used cars for sale

Asked dealer an innocent question, sure u can sell all of these cars?

Dealer responded, friend, spore is so tiny with limited roads, go count how many people living here and how many more people there will be in the next 10 years, then go do a survey how many aspire to own a car. When u get the answers, u will know that coe will never be cheap and if it happens to be cheap it is usually due to some unnatural/unusual events

Dealer confidently said, all my cars will find a buyer, it is a matter of time. Not everyone can afford 50% DP for new cars and some like to buy 8-10 yrd old cars to time coe price.

wow, if it is true, lets say if 8-10k profit per car, that's easily 400k profit over a few months

Unless current rules change, hard for used cars prices to drop much

• Praise 1

You mean at the expo ?

Market good then no need to waste money join exhibition lor ....

Went to view used cars and in one of the shops counted >35-40 used cars for sale

Dealer responded, friend, spore is so tiny with limited roads, go count how many people living here and how many more people there will be in the next 10 years, then go do a survey how many aspire to own a car. When u get the answers, u will know that coe will never be cheap and if it happens to be cheap it is usually due to some unnatural/unusual events

Dealer confidently said, all my cars will find a buyer, it is a matter of time. Not everyone can afford 50% DP for new cars and some like to buy 8-10 yrd old cars to time coe price.

wow, if it is true, lets say if 8-10k profit per car, that's easily 400k profit over a few months

• Praise 3

I used to think the same too (wondered how they could sell by pricing so high). But as I started talking to people in the industry and observe the people around me who bought their cars, I realised they are confident to price at such a level for a good reason. Yes, they can sell. Even a 3yr old Wish at 14k depreciation or a 3yr old 328 at 19k depn.

I can consperm that used car selling price will not drop a cent, but used car "eat in" price by dealers will drop.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

COE won't drop as economy still strong, unemployment is so low, so with more deregistrations coming, more people also looking to buy car

• Praise 1

if don't need a car now, just wait for it to drop.

join the queue and stay on the sideline.

be prepared to wait long long and coe may not drop.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3