Audi A3 Sedan/Sportsback Owners - Check In

zerobim08

All entry level mercs throttle response are "tuned" the same way it seems? My SLK250 also like this. Not to mention the retarded gearbox.

Not that well versed in cars but is your SLK using a DCT gearbox?

I don't have experience driving other cars with DCT but I can say it is night and day difference in terms of response of the A3 compared to previous AT cars I had. But sometimes the quick witted response is also too clever for its own good. For example, the usual instinct is to lift foot off the throttle going down a slope, but a lot of times the car will drop gear resulting in engine braking and roar. I know this is to assist with hilly terrain driving but having this "feature" going down the many flyover inclines that we have on our e-way can sometimes be irritating.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Have.. doesn't improve much, just hold the gears in high rpm longer for instant power during acceleration. And I don't like driving in Singapore stop start traffic with S mode on. Engine roars with the high rpm, not cool at all. Prefer relaxed and comfortable driving.. but with better throttle response.

Gonna install a throttle controller next week for the SLK. See how [drivingcar]

It is your driving style that causes slow throttle response. Whack it 2 straight days as if this is not your car. Immediately, it will be a mustang.

3rd Gear

Dear TS,

Just wondering .... u have made a good decision with the A3 and I am sure that you are loving your ride.

If the CLA180, A3 Sedan and 1 series sedan are the same price, which one would you go for ?

i dun own any of them and i am not the TS but i would go for the facelifted 2015 1-series... but the A3 sportback has always been a car i will look at when i see one on the roads...

To TS, nice list, good for a quick review and congrats on your new ride, seeing more A3 sedans on the road nowadays.

• Praise 2

3rd Gear

It is your driving style that causes slow throttle response. Whack it 2 straight days as if this is not your car. Immediately, it will be a mustang.

That's funny. lol

But seriously, not every TCU is adaptive lah. And even if it is, a dedicated sports mode is still better and more flexible to use than your prescription.

That's funny. lol

But seriously, not every TCU is adaptive lah. And even if it is, a dedicated sports mode is still better and more flexible to use than your prescription.

I believe SLK TCU is adaptive. Dedicated sports mode is too sensitive for turbo car. My way is the in between.

Neutral Newbie

Just to share my FC since some are interested.

I would first share that 20km/L readout from the DIS is easily achievable on this car once you hit the highways... Not joking..

My best was around 22km/L cruising 80km/h on MCE-KPE.

Based on personal calculation, on average, 48L can go 700KM. So its around 14.5KM/L. But my daily commute is always like less then 5KM to work and sometimes at night my foot will get a little bit heavier. So really i think the fuel consumption is damn good...

Another thing i like about this A3 (or any conti car actually..) is that the backseats can fold down. Very useful when i am transporting my road bike.. Can fit a roadbike with the front wheel out if anybody is wondering.

One thing though, my A3 radio reception really not that good. Like sometimes the volume will decrease when the reception is bad... didn't happen on my Camry and Picnic before..zerobim08 bro got experience this problem?

• Praise 1

Another more comprehensive feast of numbers, figures and comparison ratios for A3 owners and/or people interested in this car.

Basic Car Specs

post-155163-0-50743600-1431066909_thumb.png

Dollar and Sense

post-155163-0-42179600-1431066931_thumb.png

Another more comprehensive feast of numbers, figures and comparison ratios for A3 owners and/or people interested in this car.

Basic Car Specs

attachicon.gifCar Compare Ratio.PNG

Dollar and Sense

attachicon.gifCar Dollar Ratio.PNG

wah! appreciate your contribution,

these data really comprehensive and useful for existing and potential buyers, I have saved it as my buy car's reference,

one thing don't understand, why did you believe engine capacity big is better? actually if small engine can do same job and consume less road tax, should be better than big engine

• Praise 1

these data really comprehensive and useful for existing and potential buyers, I have saved it as my buy car's reference,

one thing don't understand, why did you believe engine capacity big is better? actually if small engine can do same job and consume less road tax, should be better than big engine

Glad you find it useful.

I am just going with conventional wisdom that bigger cc is better. Of course like you say engine type can make a different. Looking at the small turbo engine of A3 can give a much bigger punch than all the bigger NA engine. Most of the comparison ratios are in A3 favor.

For small engine to produce the same output as bigger engine, wouldn't it put more stress on the smaller engine?

With more stress, wouldn't the car breakdown easier?

For small engine to produce the same output as bigger engine, wouldn't it put more stress on the smaller engine?

With more stress, wouldn't the car breakdown easier?

meanwhile would put more technology and better material on smaller engine, so smaller engine is more expensive :D

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Since got mention of comparison to CLA-class, I gotta ask; it seems CLA-class & A-class don't come with dual-zone auto aircon... is that true?

Seems strange because it's so pricey but its main competitors like A3 & BMW 1-series or Golf/Jetta all have dual-zone auto.

4th Gear
(edited)

Maybe I'll just share the full comparison I have since some of you find them useful (not just for A3 comparison but you can refer to them for other cars too)

Basic Car Specs

attachicon.gifCar Compare.PNG

Features (mostly taken from sgcarmart)

attachicon.gifCar Feat.PNG

Car Cost/Ownership

Note: The selling prices are from Jan 2015 Singapore Car Show. I got those prices from negotiating with SE. Prices are final outlay after deducting overtrade (i.e. value above scrap for expiring car) and finance discount. (freebies values not factored in). I think you can use this to give indication of how prices are now by factoring in difference in COE.

attachicon.gifCar Dollar.PNG

bro. i see you took effort to make the comparison. I drive the CLA180. i think you got the feature list wrong. CLA180 got most of the features. Just to name a few, CLA has Auto headlights, rain sensing wipers, electric side mirrors, paddle shifters, navigation (throw in by SE), Reverse camera (thrown in by SE), Driver's and passenger memory seats.

I went to view the A3 sedan during the recent car show. While i like the interior , dash and console very much , i am surprised to find out that the rear head room is worse than CLA. this is base on me siting in both car.

A3 and CLA are both nice car. but the price diff is quite abit.

The throttle response of CLA180 sucks to the max. but after installing a throttle response kit, it is more drive-able.

And i am very surprised that A3 could give such good fuel consumption. CLA180 is around 9 to 10km/l based on my driving from Angmokio to Clementi every morning and evening thru the jam-ed lornie road.

Since got mention of comparison to CLA-class, I gotta ask; it seems CLA-class & A-class don't come with dual-zone auto aircon... is that true?

Seems strange because it's so pricey but its main competitors like A3 & BMW 1-series or Golf/Jetta all have dual-zone auto.

yup, CLA 180 doesnt come with the dual-zone auto aircon. If i am not wrong , only CLA 200 or CLA 250 and above carry that.

But CLA 180 comes with alot of other features. Auto park and Collision Prevention assist are 2 features which i am not sure if A3, BMW 1 series or Golf/jetta have.

Edited by Soho
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
yup, CLA 180 doesnt come with the dual-zone auto aircon. If i am not wrong , only CLA 200 or CLA 250 and above carry that.

But CLA 180 comes with alot of other features. Auto park and Collision Prevention assist are 2 features which i am not sure if A3, BMW 1 series or Golf/jetta have.

CLA-180 come with ILS? Or only higher models?

Or is it only optional add-on?

(edited)

bro. i see you took effort to make the comparison. I drive the CLA180. i think you got the feature list wrong. CLA180 got most of the features. Just to name a few, CLA has Auto headlights, rain sensing wipers, electric side mirrors, paddle shifters, navigation (throw in by SE), Reverse camera (thrown in by SE), Driver's and passenger memory seats.

I went to view the A3 sedan during the recent car show. While i like the interior , dash and console very much , i am surprised to find out that the rear head room is worse than CLA. this is base on me siting in both car.

The throttle response of CLA180 sucks to the max. but after installing a throttle response kit, it is more drive-able.

And i am very surprised that A3 could give such good fuel consumption. CLA180 is around 9 to 10km/l based on my driving from Angmokio to Clementi every morning and evening thru the jam-ed lornie road.

Sorry about the CLA180 in feature list. I just pulled those off from sgcarmart. I kind of suspected the data to be wrong. Just went and check sgcarmart again just now and it seems those data has been corrected.

Auto park/collision detection/assistant package are "option" in A3. If I remember correctly, around $5-6K.

What's the cla180 price like now? At the singapore car show, the final price I got from SE was like $27K more than the A3. Pretty high profit margin for this merc.

I am getting like 17km/l on my A3 driving from east coast on ECP to west coast (drop off wife) then to serangoon in the morning and vice versa in evening.

Edited by zerobim08

Whack the car for 2 straight day & you have a sharp responsive throttle.

Turbocharged

Sorry about the CLA180 in feature list. I just pulled those off from sgcarmart. I kind of suspected the data to be wrong. Just went and check sgcarmart again just now and it seems those data has been corrected.

SGCM tends to be wrong or non-comprehensive when it comes to feature lists...

For Mercedes-Benz best to get a specs card from the showroom. However for Audi, Premium just gives the 100+ pages international brochure. Doesn't say much about local units' specs list...

4th Gear
(edited)

CLA-180 come with ILS? Or only higher models?

Or is it only optional add-on?

ILS = iltelligent light system?

if so, i do not think my CLA180 comes with it. Mine is Bi-Xenon. my light do go up and down when it is switched on but frankly i do not think it turn when my car turn . or rather i have never seen the light turn b4.

Edited by Soho
↡ Advertisement