Car not moving with engaged gear

Dumb

4th Gear
(edited)

Lately and quite frequently, after parking overnite or long hours, my car don't move when I engaged D gear.

But R gear it can move backward. Even with 1 gear it doesn't move. Revving doesn't help. I discovered that with 2 gear, it moves. Then I change to D again, then it OK. What's is happening?

My Nissan 8.5 years encounter first time encounter this problem. Last week, also first time, when on air-con, it doesn't work. Noticed fan not turning. After shaking a cable leading to the fan, air-con now ok. TG.

Edited by Dumb
↡ Advertisement

Lately and quite frequently, after parking overnite or long hours, my car don't move when I engaged D gear.

But R gear it can move backward. Even with 1 gear it doesn't move. Revving doesn't help. I discovered that with 2 gear, it moves. Then I change to D again, then it OK. What's is happening?

My Nissan 8.5 years encounter first time encounter this problem. Last week, also first time, when on air-con, it doesn't work. Noticed fan not turning. After shaking a cable leading to the fan, air-con now ok. TG.

What fan are you talking about? The aircon fan is hidden behind the dashboard it cannot be seen. If you are talking about the big fan under the hood that's the radiator fan. When you start your engine cold in the morning the radiator fan will not move until the engine reaches its optimum temperature.

4th Gear

What fan are you talking about? The aircon fan is hidden behind the dashboard it cannot be seen. If you are talking about the big fan under the hood that's the radiator fan. When you start your engine cold in the morning the radiator fan will not move until the engine reaches its optimum temperature.

There are 2 fans. So 1 radiator fan and the other, I think, must be air-con fan. Wrong?

The same happened to me. Ended up, it's gearbox problem. You may want to send your car for a check.

Since car can still move, can I live with it cause coe expiring Jul next year?

Neutral Newbie

I think depending on your mileage, ie how long you drive every day. Probably your trusted mechanic can better advise you.

As for me, I am always on the road. After I got 2 quotes for the repair (around 3k with 1 week downtime and a guarantee different driving experience after repair), I sold it off before situation worsen.

I would like to know if there is anyone who chiong all the way w/o repair too!

4th Gear

I did.

Mine was diagnosed as gearbox problem. Managed to survive until scrap! 😊

Mileage coming 260k. Can last till scrap in July next year? Got this problem recently after overnite parking. Engaged gear 2 to move then change to gear D before moving off. Other time if day, no problem.

Mileage coming 260k. Can last till scrap in July next year? Got this problem recently after overnite parking. Engaged gear 2 to move then change to gear D before moving off. Other time if day, no problem.

Looks like your auto gearbox is on it's last leg, i suggest you change your ATF see if it can prolong till scrap.

• Praise 2

One method that worked on my ex ody.

Use Lucas transmission oil to top up after a flush.

It work!!!!!! Since its a almost dead horse, no harm trying.

• Praise 2

I have the same problem before...I was told is the solenoid valves.

What model is your Nissan? Conventional auto transmission or CVT?

One of my family's company cars, a 9 year old Hyundai Trajet, had this same problem. Except that it happened at traffic lights if the car was left in N for a while. After shifting to D, it just wouldn't move even if the pedal was floored. After shifting to 2 or L first, however, it would creep forward as usual, and would then behave normally after shifting back to D. My guess was that the gearbox was on its way out and would cost a lot to repair or replace, but the problem was surprisingly simple, unexpected and cheap to deal with (free of charge in fact). Turned out that one of the transmission wire harnesses was loose. Workshop secured it with cable ties, and the car runs fine up till now.

Ask your regular workshop to check for this. Sorry I can't help with exactly which wire harness it was as I'm not familiar with the wiring and electrical bits. Could also be the solenoid valves like someone mentioned. Either way, these will be far cheaper to fix than if the gearbox is really near gone.

• Praise 1

(edited)

There are 2 fans. So 1 radiator fan and the other, I think, must be air-con fan. Wrong?

Since car can still move, can I live with it cause coe expiring Jul next year?

That's the aircon condenser fan. It will not always run. Once your cabin reaches the desired temp. it will cut off. Kick in only when it's needed.

It might not be gearbox. If the fluid pump in the torque converter is faulty it would seem like the 1st gear didn't engage. The torque converter fluid acts like the clutch, the lack of it when the pump is faulty means no contact.

Edited by Watwheels

4th Gear

That's the aircon condenser fan. It will not always run. Once your cabin reaches the desired temp. it will cut off. Kick in only when it's needed.

It might not be gearbox. If the fluid pump in the torque converter is faulty it would seem like the 1st gear didn't engage. The torque converter fluid acts like the clutch, the lack of it when the pump is faulty means no contact.

Thanks. So the other fan is aircon condenser fan and not aircon fan [blush] . As you said, the aircon condenser fan will cut off and kick in according to temp setting. But my aircon condenser fan was not turning when I on the air-con.

You must have your car a lot judging 260k km within 8.5 yrs.

I know someone driving a Nissan with a transmission problem quickly sold off and buy a brand new VW.

But I think a used example would be sufficient. You still get back your PARF and COE rebate for the next ride. By fixing a costly gearbox does not add value to it.

4th Gear

My Nissan sunny is more than 8 yrs 9 mths and done 260k mileage.

Last Sat, the aircon decided not to work again. But it worked the whole week from Sun. Today, Fri nite, it decided to stop working when going out for dinner. Was sweating like hell. After dinner, it was late and dark but I decided to remove the glove compartment and a casing and saw the aircon filter.

Removed the filter and put my hand in the hollow below the filter to feel what's inside. Suddenly, something start to spin (must be the aircon fan) and the aircon starts working! [bounce2]

Hopefully, it works tomorrow. Else got to dismantle in the daytime and see what's wrong.

4th Gear

You must have your car a lot judging 260k km within 8.5 yrs.

I know someone driving a Nissan with a transmission problem quickly sold off and buy a brand new VW.

But I think a used example would be sufficient. You still get back your PARF and COE rebate for the next ride. By fixing a costly gearbox does not add value to it.

First 6 years was averaging 32k mileage per month. Now average about 22k per month. My also Nissan sunny. Hopefully, the gear will last till I scrap my car in Jul 2016. Now and then, after parking overnite, I must wait a little longer after starting the engine before the car can move. If don't wait, I must engage the lowest gear to move the car before changing to D gear.

It's a gearbox problem. Not enough pressure inside. If during cold start you hold it in R for a while, let it warm up a bit, it should engage forward gear 1 properly after that.

Maybe an ATF change might help.

Of course the permanent fix is to get the gearbox repaired.

↡ Advertisement