Stop-Start Systems

Ake109

I had to rescue one guy who stop his car at a traffic light.

He shut off engine to save fuel and when he tried to crank, the battery is dead.

Not nice to be stuck in the centre lane of a busy road.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

It's not harmful because the engine and battery are specially designed to accomodate the system.

Start/Stop systems means you must use a compatible Start/Stop specialized battery that is capable of withstanding the greatly increased number of cycles.

And for the engine itself, start-stop system is not the same as a full stop, it usually uses things such as leaving unburnt fuel in the cylinder to be rapidly ignited with minimal spark from the battery, allowing for fast restart.

If the car is designed with Start/Stop and equipped with the appropriate battery, you should not worry about it. Decide more whether you like the fuel saving over the inconvenience. That's my opinion

• Praise 1

It's not harmful because the engine and battery are specially designed to accomodate the system.

Start/Stop systems means you must use a compatible Start/Stop specialized battery that is capable of withstanding the greatly increased number of cycles.

And for the engine itself, start-stop system is not the same as a full stop, it usually uses things such as leaving unburnt fuel in the cylinder to be rapidly ignited with minimal spark from the battery, allowing for fast restart.

If the car is designed with Start/Stop and equipped with the appropriate battery, you should not worry about it. Decide more whether you like the fuel saving over the inconvenience. That's my opinion

The joke is the fuel saving is so little, killing the expensive battery is quite oxymoron... Hehe...

• Praise 3

I find it irritating 

drove my dad's car yesterday with this feature. Bloody hell, I stopped to reverse also cut engine...  [laugh] Turn off and drive

Correct.  Its no ordinary battery.  The ones found on conti cars usually cost more than $600 per unit, but can last very long.

Correct.  Its no ordinary battery.  The ones found on conti cars usually cost more than $600 per unit, but can last very long.

Yah, test drived the CLA and they had this S/S thingy. Don't really like it. 

Any info how long is long? Can last 3 years or 5 years or more? at $600 per unit, it is easily 4 to 6 times the normal batt price.

Hi bros,

Just a quick question if I should disable the start stop function at stationary as I have read a few articles that it's bad for the battery/engine in the long run.

Many thanks for your inputs...

Can post what you have read here?

If the batteries, starters and alternators are not design to endure the stresses in the start/stop system why put them there to punish ppl?

Is it a placebo effect? Like it's all in the old mindset of traditional usage of batteries and starters? Everytime the start/stop system kicks in the old mindset of the driver also kick in?

Prease. I'm curious to know where the articles come from and what are they saying. Kindly post it here.

What I read from leading start/stop system manufacturers like Bosch they explain their tech on how to make these parts more reliable for the system.

http://de.bosch-automotive.com/en/parts_and_accessories/motor_and_sytems/start_stop_system/functionality_start_stop_system/functionality_start_stop_system

So what did you read that explain otherwise?

Edited by Watwheels

I find it irritating

drove my dad's car yesterday with this feature. Bloody hell, I stopped to reverse also cut engine... [laugh] Turn off and drive

Lol.

With auto start stop how to chiong for parking lot?

Not a must have in next car, I hope manufacturers do not start introducing this as standard build. Already too many elec functions, MUX kaput car kaput.

When engine is idling, it uses only a little fuel.

You try to save this.

And then when the light goes green, you step on it and blow away any little fuel savings you just had and more.

If you want real fuel saving, modify your driving habit instead.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I am controlling the start stop activation with the amount of pressure on the brake pedals. I do not like to switch the function off as i feel it makes my ride judders during stop.

I disabled mine, my personal preference.

not a believer of this start stop thingy.

I am not a believer as well.

I prefer the physical switching on of the engine. Feels more like a car.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Yah, test drived the CLA and they had this S/S thingy. Don't really like it. 

Any info how long is long? Can last 3 years or 5 years or more? at $600 per unit, it is easily 4 to 6 times the normal batt price.

Newer generation systems should be based on AGM or maybe lithium ion batteries. I know for sure lithium ion batteries can last ages - mobile phones already use lithium ion.

Problem is I cannot find any real study of AGM lifespan in start/stop cars. But they are definitely longer lasting than regular flooded cells:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

Newer generation systems should be based on AGM or maybe lithium ion batteries. I know for sure lithium ion batteries can last ages - mobile phones already use lithium ion.

Problem is I cannot find any real study of AGM lifespan in start/stop cars. But they are definitely longer lasting than regular flooded cells:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

All start stop system to use AGM battery as it could withstand the drain.

In addition, alternator & starter motor is also larger.

If you like start stop, should consider a hybrid vehicle as it is more effective. From stop you can use the electric motor to do the heavy work of accelerating, then auto switch to petrol engine after you're already moving. I think it's more efficient than start stop on petrol engine. 

Or, if you are driving a Mazda and have their i-stop technology. This one looks like it will really save fuel as well as your battery and starter as the starter is not used to reignite the engine.

http://www2.mazda.com/en/technology/env/i-stop/

• Praise 1

Hi bros,

Just a quick question if I should disable the start stop function at stationary as I have read a few articles that it's bad for the battery/engine in the long run.

Many thanks for your inputs...

The SS function primarily was designed to save the earth. In Switzerland and Germany .. cars is suppose to turn off their engine at traffic lights junctions. 

My guess is that SS function development is the result of this requirements.

If you like start stop, should consider a hybrid vehicle as it is more effective. From stop you can use the electric motor to do the heavy work of accelerating, then auto switch to petrol engine after you're already moving. I think it's more efficient than start stop on petrol engine.

Or, if you are driving a Mazda and have their i-stop technology. This one looks like it will really save fuel as well as your battery and starter as the starter is not used to reignite the engine.

http://www2.mazda.com/en/technology/env/i-stop/

How about for conti cars ? U think it's more pro than cons to use it ? I disabled it n so far my mileage dropped from 14 to 11.5

How about for conti cars ? U think it's more pro than cons to use it ? I disabled it n so far my mileage dropped from 14 to 11.5

It's just my guess that it's not very useful, I might be wrong. I imagine it's quite annoying when trying to park. Are you sure it affected your fc from 14 to 11.5? That is a huge difference...

If it boils down to your personal preference just say so. Don't need to justify that it "makes no difference" as though you are smarter than the collective engineering and car-building knowledge of billion-dollar automobile corporations. 

↡ Advertisement