Stop-Start Systems

Ake109

I think other than battery, the other parts of the whole engine cranking system needs to be uprated to handle the extra load from the more frequent start stopping.

↡ Advertisement

If the battery is not strong enough,it will not 'stop' the engine,usually a warning message will be show.

Just sidekick a bit,how you find your Golf.?Any problem so far.?Like DSG.?

driving it for almost 1.5 years. so far no problems except the flat battery but the vw recovery came in about 30 mins to replace the battery. would say its one of the best drive i ever had.

Supercharged

I hate start/stop. Disable when I drive.

Me too

SS system sounds irritating but if it really saves fuel and doesn't cause additional wear and tear, I am fine with it. 

i never trust SS system. if you are an engineer you will know that frequent on off is bad for the overall system although you may claim the design is carefully undertaken. cyclic stress loading is bad.

Me too

i never trust SS system. if you are an engineer you will know that frequent on off is bad for the overall system although you may claim the design is carefully undertaken. cyclic stress loading is bad.

Heard for some ss engines, if you off it, another can of worms. Car prone to unnecessary vibrations etc.

Heard for some ss engines, if you off it, another can of worms. Car prone to unnecessary vibrations etc.

hmmm vibration from heysho heysho? @mockngbrd say wan :grin:

pls be more specific hor... [laugh]

SS system sounds irritating but if it really saves fuel and doesn't cause additional wear and tear, I am fine with it. 

that's what it is intended for.  Dunno why ppl are so resistant to change.

My 5 series coming to 4 years, still no issues.....the paranoia amongst these 'old fuddies' is really befuddling

hmmm vibration from heysho heysho? @mockngbrd say wan :grin:

pls be more specific hor... [laugh]

that's what it is intended for. Dunno why ppl are so resistant to change.

My 5 series coming to 4 years, still no issues.....the paranoia amongst these 'old fuddies' is really befuddling

When no heysio, car vibrate ma chiam got heysio. Den complain why car will heysio by itself. Cos no ss lo, always start no stop whahahaha
  • Praise 1

Tt why my brake pads, 3.5 yrs still left 5mm... On first set summore. I use the brakes only when necessary

sounds like you are very adept at feathering your throttle ... well done ... [:p]

• Praise 1

Feathering @RadX throttle sounds great :D

I think it's important for peeps to start using for like 2 years at least and say if it causes engine breakdown or smth within the two years, else there's simply no evidence showing ss system is not the future or the system is flawed.

sounds like you are very adept at feathering your throttle ... well done ... [:p]

tel me abt it.  I never use brakes unnecessarily.  Most of time,  engine brake!

incidentally cos of this loong delay, felt uneasy and went to my friendly workshop and he verified that my brakes, 

Front 8mm left - still can go another 8k,

Rear, still 5mm left - can go another 5k.....kena suan by my friend say 'your driving style lah'  :grin:  :grin:

I want to change oso he say, 'no need lah'.  Follow his advise lor

oh well.  Guess goes to good driving habits

Feathering @RadX throttle sounds great :D

I think it's important for peeps to start using for like 2 years at least and say if it causes engine breakdown or smth within the two years, else there's simply no evidence showing ss system is not the future or the system is flawed.

nb...you stay away from my throttle....   :grin:  [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

tel me abt it.  I never use brakes unnecessarily.  Most of time,  engine brake!

incidentally cos of this loong delay, felt uneasy and went to my friendly workshop and he verified that my brakes, 

Front 8mm left - still can go another 8k,

Rear, still 5mm left - can go another 5k.....kena suan by my friend say 'your driving style lah'  :grin:  :grin:

I want to change oso he say, 'no need lah'.  Follow his advise lor

oh well.  Guess goes to good driving habits

nb...you stay away from my throttle....   :grin:  [thumbsup]

Read somewhere that engine brake means wear and tear on engine and gearbox whereas brake brake means wear on brake.

The author said cheaper to repair/replace brake than engine/transmission, and so he rather use brake brake unless in situations where you need engine brake - e.g. for downhill where brakes will get too hot and ineffective if brake too long, or for more effective cornering to go in and out the curve faster at high speeds. 

Don't know how true is above.

Any engineers can answer?

Edited by jg2000
  • Praise 2

Read somewhere that engine brake means wear and tear on engine and gearbox whereas brake brake means wear on brake.

The author said cheaper to repair/replace brake than engine/transmission, and so he rather use brake brake unless in situations where you need engine brake - e.g. for downhill where brakes will get too hot and ineffective if brake too long, or for more effective cornering to go in and out the curve faster at high speeds. 

also coupled with the fact that I do feather teh throttle and not aggresively accelerate and brake unnecessarily.  Highway driving too is most part of my routine.

Car coming to 4 years anyway, due for change :grin:  :grin:

Must b very lousy engine / gearbox

LOL...

btw bro, at R2d, there was an E30 and E34.  Any chance yours previously?  

Otaku, that 912 girl in PVC pants is gan pua hawt. You win :serious-business:

LOL...

btw bro, at R2d, there was an E30 and E34.  Any chance yours previously?  

If that E34 you saw is kim kim, then it's Otaku's. He just did a comprehensive grooming of his lao charbor. :grin:

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

More irritated by the shudder when the engine starts, think it's a matter of getting used to.

• Praise 1

All start stop system to use AGM battery as it could withstand the drain.

In addition, alternator & starter motor is also larger.

Any AGM battery to recommend? Difficult to find Panasonic AGM batteries locally.
↡ Advertisement