Singapore Is Cracking Down on Tiger Moms

Enye

Hypersonic
(edited)

The day i see lhl son working in service line at macdonald or old chang kee would i truly believe

Edited by Staff69
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 12

Wait later waiter also need degree then how?

Wait only study Owl level or Air level, CVs also kenna trash binned and cannot get waiter job then regret not going for that degree? :D

If that happens then we are there liao [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

you tiger mum fans is it? :D

Yup one the light and entertaining series, simple story line, dun hv the famous 阿哥阿姐 make it a pleasant to watch.

If there's an urgent need for a degree/MBA, just google for Southern Pacific University.

Filling in the application form is easy, and within a month, you would have graduated and get the degree right to your doorstep.

Proves to be Faster, Cheaper and Better than wasting your 4 years at NUS, NTU or whatever U in sg.

And that degree is already proven to be accepted by IDA (gov dept).

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Please tell that to my wife [laugh] [laugh]

No crackdown in HK

Please continue to chase paper and pile tuition onto your kids

😄

The day i see lhl son working in service line at macdonald or old chang kee would i truly believe

His children jobless also won't take up this type of work

Hypersonic

No crackdown in HK

Please continue to chase paper and pile tuition onto your kids

😄

That's why I sometimes pity my 2 boys. So much work. The paper chase in HK is much much more insane than Singapore.

All of them want to 赢在起跑线 (win at the starting line) [shakehead] [shakehead]

• Praise 2

Twincharged

If degree not essential. .

Wtf is he downing so much of our money on free uni schooling and living for FT students? ?

And why does his own children need to be sent oversea at tax payers expense? ?

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

If degree not essential. .

Wtf is he downing so much of our money on free uni schooling and living for FT students? ?

And why does his own children need to be sent oversea at tax payers expense? ?

His father already said they have the elite genes

Supersonic
(edited)

In a televised address last August, Singapore’s Lee celebrated two employees at Keppel Corp Ltd., the world’s biggest builder of offshore oil rigs, who had risen through the ranks without a graduate diploma.

“They may not have degrees, but they are working hard and trying to improve themselves,” Lee said. “So long as you work hard, you can always hope for a brighter future here in Singapore.”

Why they all like to talk cork ?

When that 2 employees are eventually laid off...you know what happens when they go look for jobs ?

1. They have no degree. FTs have plenty, even fake ones

2. They are too highly paid

3. They are too old

Bright future indeed, if someone pities them and offer them a job at half their last drawn pay.

Or they can join the growing ranks of ex-PMET taxi drivers.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

Why they all like to talk cork ?

When that 2 employees are eventually laid off...you know what happens when they go look for jobs ?

1. They have no degree. FTs have plenty, even fake ones

2. They are too highly paid

3. They are too old

Bright future indeed, if someone pities them and offer them a job at half their last drawn pay.

Or they can join the growing ranks of ex-PMET taxi drivers.

They can't be complacent by just doing what they do day in day out, I'm sure they get a lot of opportunities for upgrades in various aspects within their profession and industry, that is what make them more valuable in term of skills and knowledge.

Always enhance your employment value and marketability. On the other hand, I would think because they didn't start with a degree and straight into a higher position, they can adapt better if retrenched , better than degree holder who cannot get out of the situation.

Turbocharged
(edited)

I wonder why the angst over whether should go for degree or not. The student's own ability will determine that, IMHO.

If a child is quick to learn in school, with the intelligence and attitude to match, then by all means, go for the degree route and even higher qualifications.

If the child is not so good in school, why must parents force him or her to go for the degree route? Which would involve lots of tuition and extra classes to beef up the child's weakness in studies.

Having said that, I don't think the SkillsFuture is a good idea... it's a big BS job IMHO and a way of flowing subsidies to companies - without outrightly saying it's a subsidy.

Paying students to go on earn-and-learn programmes is a bad idea as it attracts students with the wrong motivation... they may not like the job or the skill it involves, but just sign up for the quick cash. All this will result in problems down the road - for the company that takes them in and also for the training institution.

What the govt avoids tackling is the mindset change in society, which is something more long-term and takes a longer time-frame to see the results. As usual, the short-term solution by throwing $ (our tax money by the way) is preferred for faster effect on KPI.

I have a friend that is involved in these training institutes and really he also thinks it's a joke that we can produce "skilled" workers just by logging in so-called training hours, pass an assessment (can re-sit also if fail) and get wsq certificate. Is the person really skilled? There are even inflated titles like "craftsman" etc. [rolleyes]

It's a big joke really, when, just giving a simple example, you consider how long it takes for a person to get really skilled at doing something. In countries like japan or germany, the title of craftsman is not something applied lightly... think of the years it takes to train a proper sushi chef... vs. couple of weeks training and wsq certificate in preparation of sushi?? [laugh] Don't make me laugh!!

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 7

I wonder why the angst over whether should go for degree or not. The student's own ability will determine that, IMHO.

If a child is quick to learn in school, with the intelligence and attitude to match, then by all means, go for the degree route and even higher qualifications.

If the child is not so good in school, why must parents force him or her to go for the degree route? Which would involve lots of tuition and extra classes to beef up the child's weakness in studies.

Having said that, I don't think the SkillsFuture is a good idea... it's a big BS job IMHO and a way of flowing subsidies to companies - without outrightly saying it's a subsidy.

Paying students to go on earn-and-learn programmes is a bad idea as it attracts students with the wrong motivation... they may not like the job or the skill it involves, but just sign up for the quick cash. All this will result in problems down the road - for the company that takes them in and also for the training institution.

What the govt avoids tackling is the mindset change in society, which is something more long-term and takes a longer time-frame to see the results. As usual, the short-term solution by throwing $ (our tax money by the way) is preferred for faster effect on KPI.

I have a friend that is involved in these training institutes and really he also thinks it's a joke that we can produce "skilled" workers just by logging in so-called training hours, pass an assessment (can re-sit also if fail) and get wsq certificate. Is the person really skilled? There are even inflated titles like "craftsman" etc. [rolleyes]

It's a big joke really, when, just giving a simple example, you consider how long it takes for a person to get really skilled at doing something. In countries like japan or germany, the title of craftsman is not something applied lightly... think of the years it takes to train a proper sushi chef... vs. couple of weeks training and wsq certificate in preparation of sushi?? [laugh] Don't make me laugh!!

Paying students on a learn and earn is another form of internship where say the poly students are paid reasonably than what they are getting now.

As for the job skill training, agree some of them are really for show and for companies to be subsidized with government grants or rebates. They may not get the real outcome but it sure is a good way to gather statistics.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Paying students on a learn and earn is another form of internship where say the poly students are paid reasonably than what they are getting now.

As for the job skill training, agree some of them are really for show and for companies to be subsidized with government grants or rebates. They may not get the real outcome but it sure is a good way to gather statistics.

That's what I think... it's just a paper exercise, doling out certificates with minimum requirement, to make good figures and statistics for somebody's KPI [rolleyes]

Bottomline is, people must realize a degree is no guarantee to career progression. It allows one to start off a little higher entry-level job than his peers without degrees, e.g. engineer vs. assistant engineer, etc. - but consider that this head-start is at the price of having to stay in school for couple more years to earn that degree.

Beyond that, even a degree holder will be stagnant if he or she shows no promise or exceptional ability.

Edited by Sosaria

That's what I think... it's just a paper exercise, doling out certificates with minimum requirement, to make good figures and statistics for somebody's KPI [rolleyes]

Having said, these training program actually kept many training companies alive and the trainer get paid for teaching what you called a joke. Anyway the current trend is fast, fast food, fast fashion, fast delivery of product & services, you want a real deal, only the old master can do so but he may not have an apprentice to pass them on.

Turbocharged

If that happens then we are there liao [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

Will be there when chicken also need at least a degree.... mamasan a master degree....okt 2nd upper honour.... [laugh]

• Praise 1

Will be there when chicken also need at least a degree.... mamasan a master degree....okt 2nd upper honour.... [laugh]

When McDonald's started hamburger university 30 years ago, I knew this day will come [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

If there's a certificate involved, I'm sure there'll be no shortage of "examiners" and "assessors"... [laugh]

Turbocharged

If there's a certificate involved, I'm sure there'll be no shortage of "examiners" and "assessors"... [laugh]

The right word is auditor lar... High pay one you know...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1