Brake pedal very hard to step when cold

bellboy

Hi guys, my car has a keyless start that requires me to step on the brake pedal before the engine starts.

Recently, I noticed that when my car is cold, eg in the morning, the brake pedal is very hard to step.

I can barely compress it.

Many a times, I need to stomp the brakes a 2nd time to start my car as my 1st attempt is too weak.

Anything wrong? Or its something I can just ignore?

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

as long as it stationary & starts, ignore.

if on the move, pray.

[laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Hi guys, my car has a keyless start that requires me to step on the brake pedal before the engine starts.

Recently, I noticed that when my car is cold, eg in the morning, the brake pedal is very hard to step.

Many a times, I need to stomp the brakes a 2nd time to start my car as my 1st attempt is too weak.

When was this last time u flush ur brakes?

My ride do not have this keyless start, but like to offer some opinions as follows :

- my ride brake pedal is "hard" as well when the engine is not running. The brake system need the engine to run to operate the brake booster. Therefore this is normal.

- I believe the keyless "interlock switch" at the brake pedal is activated as long as you step on the brake pedal, even though the brake pedal did not move fully down.

- therefore, should be normal. Anyway, check out your car manual for more information.

NOT normal for sure. it has not been this way, that's why you had to post here. my ride (also push-start) experiencing this. but it's intermittent.

only some mornings after parking overnight. and not regular too.. maybe just once in a every 2 weeks? or never at all.

googled and visited some workshops about it and all returned with a list of "could be this, could be this..". [shakehead]

but since brakes still fine and car working perfectly normal... didn't do anything more.

AD also not be able to diagnose if they cant replicate the symptom. must leave car there, then they check..blablabla. in the end advise to change this change that trial and error. waste of time and $$.

I suspect it is the beginning symptom of a failing something. haha

I suggest just continue to drive and monitor. if braking seems more difficult (safety) then quickly send it in.

Apologies to TS for hijacking this thread. How about when you come to a complete stop at you de-press the brake there is a "croaking" sound? Is that normal? :ph34r:

Try to step the brake after you stop engine for a while, let's make that 1 minute.

If it feels hard, that means there is a vacumn leak in your brake booster.

Get it checked.

If not, then it could be normal for your car after it sits there for a long time.

Compare with the same model in that case.

• Praise 1

4th Gear

The system that assist brake depress is call brake servo or brake booster or vacuum servo.

The brake servo works only when the engine start... because the vacuum, that assist pedal to depress more, is created by a small tubing connecting to the engine exhaust. Therefore, when the servo crack or the tubing leak, it will create less vacuum, so the driver need to use more strength to depress it (only for those jialat leaking). Normal small leakage will not feel anything cos vacuum is continuously created .

In normal circumstances, after you stop your engine, the brake servo will still remained vacuum and able you to assist you to have not more that 2 depress of the brake pedal, before it start to hard...

So once the engine successfully start, the brake servo will become vacuum again.

For TS, if you did not depress the brake after you stop the engine and having this issue, I suspect there is a small leakage.

My 2 cents worth...

• Praise 4

(edited)

Still no answer? Alamak.

If I'm not wrong TS accidentally lock his steering wheel after he/she off the ignition. That's you accidentally turn or moved slightly (that there's a click sound) the steering wheel after you had off the iginition. Or simply what ppl calls steering wheel lock.

Usually for key start turn to ACC and turn the steering wheel slightly you will be able to depress the brakes fully. For keyless I guess should be pressing the start button once for ACC.

So press once for ACC, dan turn the steering wheel slightly and the brake pedal should be freed. You use brute strength to go depress? Later spoil, how? :D

Or are you those kayu who get into the car grab the steering wheel for leverage to depress the brake pedal. That could accidentally click the steering wheel lock and you have difficulty depressing the brake pedal. I think this is what you did, right?

Edited by Watwheels

Apologies to TS for hijacking this thread. How about when you come to a complete stop at you de-press the brake there is a "croaking" sound? Is that normal? :ph34r:

Your driving instructor never teach you meh? When you about to come to a complete stop release the brake pedal slightly before depressing it almost fully again. If you still find it noisy ask your mechanic to apply some grease on the brake pads, he will know what to do.

It is normal, just work on your leg muscles. Unless you have a warm engine and the brakes are still so hard to compress then you have a problem.

The system that assist brake depress is call brake servo or brake booster or vacuum servo.

The brake servo works only when the engine start... because the vacuum, that assist pedal to depress more, is created by a small tubing connecting to the engine exhaust. Therefore, when the servo crack or the tubing leak, it will create less vacuum, so the driver need to use more strength to depress it (only for those jialat leaking). Normal small leakage will not feel anything cos vacuum is continuously created .

In normal circumstances, after you stop your engine, the brake servo will still remained vacuum and able you to assist you to have not more that 2 depress of the brake pedal, before it start to hard...

So once the engine successfully start, the brake servo will become vacuum again.

For TS, if you did not depress the brake after you stop the engine and having this issue, I suspect there is a small leakage.

My 2 cents worth...

Thanks for the concise and insightful response.

Sounds like I can wait till the next servicing then ask the mechanic to check.

Car old already, many small problems come up. Don't want to keep on going to the workshop to waste time.