Tower Transit clinches first tendered bus contract

Camrysfa

Supercharged

Yes, I do take it daily, every morning and night if you must know... and its not getting any better, even tho the bus company say otherwise.. i dun believe in all the horse talk about improving transport service quality every time the govt opens its mouth... enough of the daily mess i see in the mrt.. duckduck already provided an article of the tower strike and there should be no smoke without fire... a long long time ago, SG had many private bus operators and the reason for consolidating all of them into SBS was to improve efficiency and cut down on wastage due to duplication.. well,, are we not peddling back to the same ol days after 50 years?? The proof is in the pudding and I'll reserve my scepticism to be proven otherwise by this new operator...

At the time of independence, Singapore’s bus services were provided by multiple small operators. The market was highly fragmented, and both service and safety standards were low. The cut-throat competition by the private bus companies led to poor service (due to cherrypicking of profitable routes), a lack of integration and network economies eventually resulting in the near bankruptcy of many of these companies. The government moved in a team of civil servants, nationalised the fragmented companies and put together a tight outfit, making reasonable profits. The new entity, SBS Transit, was eventually privatised.

It is the PRIVATIZATION of Public Transport System that leads to the trouble that we faced now. Not because of too many bus companies. When bus companies need to answer to SHAREHOLDERS, they will be PROFIT-DRIVEN. So how does a fixed revenue for 5-years equals to going back to same old days of many bus companies?

I would say that the gov are peddling back to the period of NATIONALIZATION of Public Transport. I would support the move, whether to SMRT, SBS Transit or even a third transport company. We complaint so much about SMRT and SBS Transit, so if LTA were to award them, someone will still cry father cry mother about "kelong".

Whether good or bad, I will wait and see...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

At the time of independence, Singapore’s bus services were provided by multiple small operators. The market was highly fragmented, and both service and safety standards were low. The cut-throat competition by the private bus companies led to poor service (due to cherrypicking of profitable routes), a lack of integration and network economies eventually resulting in the near bankruptcy of many of these companies. The government moved in a team of civil servants, nationalised the fragmented companies and put together a tight outfit, making reasonable profits. The new entity, SBS Transit, was eventually privatised.

It is the PRIVATIZATION of Public Transport System that leads to the trouble that we faced now. Not because of too many bus companies. When bus companies need to answer to SHAREHOLDERS, they will be PROFIT-DRIVEN. So how does a fixed revenue for 5-years equals to going back to same old days of many bus companies?

I would say that the gov are peddling back to the period of NATIONALIZATION of Public Transport. I would support the move, whether to SMRT, SBS Transit or even a third transport company. We complaint so much about SMRT and SBS Transit, so if LTA were to award them, someone will still cry father cry mother about "kelong".

Whether good or bad, I will wait and see...

Well bro.. we are not called Singapore Inc. for nothing... the profit motive was cited to improve service and yet like you said, they answer to the shareholders, be damned the public.. likewise, if they nationalised these essential public transport systems, i would (like you) support them; remove the profit motive and serve the public good first.. alas, the same ol wayang is still going on here.. profit first, people second.. I too will wait and see how the people will benefit from this move...

Article says, existing bus company reassure their staff.... will help them on job placement. can choose to stay or transfer over....

I say, if they are steady, they should retrench excess staff due to redundancy and offer a severance package. Then, assist them on job placement......

Win-Win! Retrenched staff got new uniform to wear, got payouts....., got new jobs

Existing bus company downsize staff due to "no more" business for the bidded routes; save costs, no more headache over "cannot find drivers in Singapore" syndrome which they always comprain.

Thanks for the translation summary bro..

Turbocharged

I hope the companies can recruit enough bus drivers. 26 services, that's easily 100 drivers and more?

I think one of the major problems with these transport companies is staffing.

Especially when considering bus services have to run 365 days a week year. (Maybe on Venus can get 365 days a week)

Yes, I do take it daily, every morning and night if you must know... and its not getting any better, even tho the bus company say otherwise.. i dun believe in all the horse talk about improving transport service quality every time the govt opens its mouth... enough of the daily mess i see in the mrt.. duckduck already provided an article of the tower strike and there should be no smoke without fire... a long long time ago, SG had many private bus operators and the reason for consolidating all of them into SBS was to improve efficiency and cut down on wastage due to duplication.. well,, are we not peddling back to the same ol days after 50 years?? The proof is in the pudding and I'll reserve my scepticism to be proven otherwise by this new operator...

So what do you suggest bro?

So what do you suggest bro?

well bro.. if I can suggest a viable answer or have a vision from my crystal ball, Lui FTuck You would already be packed and gone.. I'll wait to be proven wrong; that's all I can do now... Hindsight is such a great mirror.. [sunny]

This is an operator model and should inject more competition (6 bidders, IIRC) into the duopoly market long held by 2 Temasek owned companies which have been providing bad services and yet bleeding money on bus operation (so they claim).

When you run public transport with profit on your mind and with no competition. what do you get? Packed buses for good routes (to maximize profit) and 30 mins waiting time for bad routes (again to maximize profit). Now LTA will dictate the fares, routes and service frequencies based on profit plus non profit considerations.

This better works, otherwise tax payers may end up subsidizing public transport if the gains from increased competition (higher productivity) does not materialize.

• Praise 3

I hope the companies can recruit enough bus drivers. 26 services, that's easily 100 drivers and more?

I think one of the major problems with these transport companies is staffing.

Especially when considering bus services have to run 365 days a week.

The 2 existing players will need to axe people, you don't keep people around after losing 26 services. Overall, due to possibility higher service standard dictated by LTA, they may need to hire more than those who are given the pink slips.

• Praise 1

SBST and SMRT have behaved like they would be around forever, for too long. I don't think bringing in a foreign operator is just a wayang show. Government-linked as these companies may be, they would also want to learn from the best practices of overseas firms to see how they make money in the real world.

Waiting for MTR Corporation to take over one of our MRT lines... that'll show them. MTR Corporation has a farebox recovery rate of 186%, while SMRT needs its non-core business to support its train and bus businesses...

Why fare increase? The new model is that revenues have nothing to do with the fares.

They already bid 500 mil plus and that is what they will get. Fares up or down has nothing to do with them as the revenue collected goes to the government.

sounded more like a EPCM project. Highly dangerous for company to get involved in such contracts.

Just based on 700 employee with an average pay of 2500 + 1.5 month bonus per year will cos the company 120mills for 5 years. How about the executive and equipment? The depot rental and maintenance of vehicle...?!!

• Praise 1

So will the election be held after they start operations?

that will be Q2 of next year, can they wait till then ?

Supercharged
(edited)

sounded more like a EPCM project. Highly dangerous for company to get involved in such contracts.

Just based on 700 employee with an average pay of 2500 + 1.5 month bonus per year will cos the company 120mills for 5 years. How about the executive and equipment? The depot rental and maintenance of vehicle...?!!

• Bus operators will bid for bus route packages through a competitive tendering process, and be paid a fixed fee to operate the bus services. Running costs are considered separately and will be paid fully by the Government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYtJG_P_Yl0

Got to 0:43 where it is stated that gov collects the fares revenue and pays for the operating cost. I think we should be more objective than just simply hit out on something that is done correctly... Give credit where credit is due

Edited by Carnoob
  • Praise 3

Election held in 2Q16?

that is 1 year later leh, my MP is coming to my block tonight, i already have something to complain, coincidentally it was related to bus services [laugh][laugh]

Supercharged

This is an operator model and should inject more competition (6 bidders, IIRC) into the duopoly market long held by 2 Temasek owned companies which have been providing bad services and yet bleeding money on bus operation (so they claim).

When you run public transport with profit on your mind and with no competition. what do you get? Packed buses for good routes (to maximize profit) and 30 mins waiting time for bad routes (again to maximize profit). Now LTA will dictate the fares, routes and service frequencies based on profit plus non profit considerations.

This better works, otherwise tax payers may end up subsidizing public transport if the gains from increased competition (higher productivity) does not materialize.

I can never understand how a public service would be beneficial to the public if it is privatized..

Even though the govt calls the shots for the fares and frequency, the pressure from the private company to push the limits of fare prices is definitely there to drive for more profit..

End of the day, I believe the govt will have to also satisfy the co. by giving a "reasonable" amount of revenue.. No matter what, extra $ will still be spent on paying to attract the private co.. which wouldn't be effective isn't it?

to me.. its like saying outsourcing our cabinet to other country ministers to help us on running the country..

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Been to germany where the bus and transport drivers were really professional. Safety standards, training, etc.

It's really a profession, not just any job.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Been to germany where the bus and transport drivers were really professional. Safety standards, training, etc.

It's really a profession, not just any job.

how's the fare compared to here is the important point.

↡ Advertisement