• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
1608 replies to this topic | 6,128 praises

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:51 PM

Miles
  • Miles
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

at least C-class has it

Tried on my wife's X156, yes... it now works on the new version of cruise control. I guess your C should be W205,.. because my W204 didnt work the same way.

Angcheek praised this

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:16 PM

MrHello
  • MrHello
    Neutral Newbie
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Thanks Mercury1, Ngbernie and 7hm for replying.

I would take the newer car, unless your an avid bmw fan. Also you are willing to risk buying and driving the car to assess issues before renewing because it might need a lot of parts replacing.

Friend e90 also going scrap soon recently AC broke down quoted 800 to replace, he decided to trade in instead

Mercury1 - Which car models will recommend to me? I always love coupe/cabriolet/convertible; hence Peugeot 308cc or Lexus IS250C (For me its Design Interior/Exterior < Reliability < Comfort < Performance) 

With 5 year COE your depreciation is 11-12k/year without maintenance. You should consider a brand new car if the 50% down is not an issue.

Ngbernie - I understand that some carshop allows 10-20% down-payment with their in-house loans (2.8%)? and any idea is there any requirements and documentations necessary for their in-house loan?

On my side, I'm considering for the latter (new car) but just wondering about their cost $ factor.

Cars are what is known as "depreciating asset". Car never increases in value, you will lose money on a car every year.

Buy a new car, you lose a few grand driving out of the showroom because the car has become "pre-owned" and people will not want to buy a car that has been fettered for the same price as a new one, even if only for 5km.

And then there's the fact that COE is always depreciating at flat 10% a year so every car available today has a min depreciation of $6~7k/year just on COE alone.

On the other hand, second hand market now is high demand so prices of second hand cars are high. You will never be able to sell a second hand car for more $$$ than a new one, but lots of sellers are minimizing their loss - someone sold their Mazda 3 for just $5,000 less than new price despite having it for a few months.
That's a far cry from the conventional wisdom that you "lose 15k driving out of the showroom".

7hm - Could you breakdown or give a $ example for that?

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:20 PM

Angcheek
  • Premium member
    Angcheek
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

anyone tried the BMW car cam ? possible to add in a additional batt to let it run longer when stationary ?

樹多總有枯枝,人多總有白痴

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:33 AM

7hm
  • Premium member
    7hm
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

7hm - Could you breakdown or give a $ example for that?

MrHello - what kind of breakdown example are you looking for?

Edited by 7hm, 28 June 2015 - 12:33 AM.

Driving car, not funny, bid for car with COE, ERP, road tax, PARF until you want to barf

Dabbler in digital graphics, computer assembly, tech and photography.
「さぁ、今、手を伸ばして 」

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:07 AM

Miles
  • Miles
    5th Gear
    Author Image

anyone tried the BMW car cam ? possible to add in a additional batt to let it run longer when stationary ?

Its installed in my car as part of purchase package from PML. Didnt ask for additional batt to let it run longer when stationary. But i doubt it is possible. Maybe you should change to higher amp car 12V battery to sustain the camera. 

Angcheek praised this

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:22 AM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I did not use BMW/Mini car cam. I hooked it to external battery which I'd charged via ciggy.
Angcheek praised this

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:34 AM

Laohu
  • Premium member
    Laohu
    Clutched
    Author Image

The BMW car cam had built-in battery for up to 6 hours of recording plus motion detection. Should be sufficient for usually parking unless u park at high traffic area.

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:59 PM

Mercury1
  • Mercury1
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Hey Bro, you're totally right. Actually I checked an old thread on Bmw Sg from one of site sponsors and saw the rough pricing then I realize the thread was from 2011! I emailed another site sponsor will see what they come back with.

Still undecided anyway not sure how much an impact in ride quality will 19's have vs my 18's with rft  [confused] Not to mention the cost involved and my tyres still quite new  :wacko:

That can't be right, I asked for another model VFF101 in 19" and was quoted just under $1k each rim by O** W**. Even if you air freight in direct from US, it will be just over 4k for the whole set w/o rubbers.

MrHello, on 27 Jun 2015 - 04:20 AM, said:snapback.png

With 5 year COE your depreciation is 11-12k/year without maintenance. You should consider a brand new car if the 50% down is not an issue.

For a cab I will prefer the Peugeot styling (reliability depends on how well any car is maintined), but in  Singapore have to work with budget. I,e how much are you depre you can live with vs minimum age of of the car to purchase. 

Mercury1 - Which car models will recommend to me? I always love coupe/cabriolet/convertible; hence Peugeot 308cc or Lexus IS250C (For me its Design Interior/Exterior < Reliability < Comfort < Performance) 

Can you provide us a link confirming that? The camera doesn't look big enough to contain anything other than a normal capacitor much less a battery that can last 6 hours.

The BMW car cam had built-in battery for up to 6 hours of recording plus motion detection. Should be sufficient for usually parking unless u park at high traffic area.

Easiest Way is to connect it like this

Cig Lighter -> Cellink B (Battery brand) -> Camera

41.jpg

Angcheek and 1 Anonymous member praised this
My F30 review

Mitsubishi Lancer Coupe (Gone) -> Mazda Astina (Gone) -> E46 3.18 M Sports (Gone) -> Renault Clio (Gone) -> Mini Cooper S -> BMW 3.28i M Sport

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:16 PM

Angcheek
  • Premium member
    Angcheek
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thanks miles .

Its installed in my car as part of purchase package from PML. Didnt ask for additional batt to let it run longer when stationary. But i doubt it is possible. Maybe you should change to higher amp car 12V battery to sustain the camera. 

Thanks David for the feedback

I did not use BMW/Mini car cam. I hooked it to external battery which I'd charged via ciggy.

Thanks lauho .. motion detection will be useful .

Thanks mercury ... yes im looking for something like this if car batt is insufficient.

Easiest Way is to connect it like this

Cig Lighter -> Cellink B (Battery brand) -> Camera

attachicon.gif41.jpg

Edited by Angcheek, 28 June 2015 - 10:17 PM.

樹多總有枯枝,人多總有白痴

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:04 AM

Rayoflight
  • Rayoflight
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Im using iroad v7 2ch wifi

So far so good. No need to use any external battery as it has voltage cutoff internally.

If the device sense that battery voltage decreased to desired voltage eg 12V, it will autoshutdown.

Motion sensor, shock detection

Edited by Rayoflight, 29 June 2015 - 01:05 AM.

Angcheek and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:08 AM

Angcheek
  • Premium member
    Angcheek
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thanks Ray . Got shock detection somemore .. best sia. You come across any that will also send alert e.g.sms to owner ?

Im using iroad v7 2ch wifi

So far so good. No need to use any external battery as it has voltage cutoff internally.

If the device sense that battery voltage decreased to desired voltage eg 12V, it will autoshutdown.

Motion sensor, shock detection

Edited by Angcheek, 29 June 2015 - 06:09 AM.

Mercs, Spring, Byteslurve, FourZero, Pinobii, 2BDriver, Sunny and 1 other member praised this
樹多總有枯枝,人多總有白痴

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

Rayoflight
  • Rayoflight
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks Ray . Got shock detection somemore .. best sia. You come across any that will also send alert e.g.sms to owner ?

Lol no? How to? Unless u got wifi 24/7 in the car with cctv kind of camera in my house. Haha

Edited by Rayoflight, 29 June 2015 - 11:57 AM.

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:44 PM

Miles
  • Miles
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Lol no? How to? Unless u got wifi 24/7 in the car with cctv kind of camera in my house. Haha

If connected to BMW ConnectedDrive, it is possible. ConnectedDrive comes with BMW SIM card preinstalled. So, if they want to use it to send data to your phone via BMW Connected app, they can.

ConnectedDrive has huge potential BMW have not explored... now the system is rather passive and slow. 

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:10 PM

Mercury1
  • Mercury1
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

My F30 328 Review and write up

I finally finished my long review on the F30 328i, this is my first review on a car so pardon the poor grammar and lack of flow. Also these are my views from my own driving style so may differ from others drastically.

I thought to do this write-up on the options that are available with the F30 and how they will help change your ride day to day (many reviews just review the F30 itself). I did a fair bit of online research to get details of them most of which came from overseas forums, I hope this provides some insight to the various tech items to enhance the driving pleasure of the F30. Needless to say PML charges an arm and a leg for them and I wouldn’t have added these if I didn’t intend to keep the car till scrap (near scrap). I got a quotation on some of the options if installed locally and it was almost a good 30% more. BMW will actually subtract the cost of the original parts from the upgraded parts for end tally at the factory so this is always more cost efficient.

On hindsight some of these options may not be necessary in Singapore roads, so this might help if you too are looking to add some options or retrofit some kit on your F30 but can’t decide which ones and need to prioritize.

I will put down my opinions on each ranging from the below. Note some can be retrofitted and some can’t.

(Note: most of these come standard on a 335i)

Opinions ranging from the below factoring cost and usage from day to day (and ease of installation)

-        Not necessary

-        Good to have

-        Must have

For those I’m not 100% on it will be a mix of opinions

You will need to decide if the cost of retrofitting certain options will weigh in over the cost of indenting the car (extremely little discounts and hardly any overtrade), the good news is most of the options can be retrofitted.

The car itself.

I ordered the car July 2014, I always wanted another 3 series since my E46 and I thought since I had the chance I would built it the way I intended it to be. Not being the type who like to mod I decided on a 328 which was a fantastic balance of power and maintenance (road tax, petrol consumption, car cost, insurance etc). Color was Melbourne red since it looked gorgeous on the F30. The car was finally delivered around Dec 2014 (5 months).

Petrol Consumption: I measured average petrol consumption and it about 8.7 – 8.9 Km per litre (75% City / 25% Hwy)

Pic 1.JPG

Pricing

Overall I felt I got a decent deal given the COE had come down quite a lot bit since 2013 when I was on the lookout, some extra discounts were thrown in during the BMW world expo. In addition the 328 came with M sports kit at no extra cost plus it also had HUD as standard which earlier 328 didn’t.

Engine & Gearbox

The N20 .28 engine itself is incredibly responsive for a 2 liter even in comfort mode it seems to be raring to go. I don’t drive aggressively day to day but in Singapore context the power delivery is more than sufficient to meet most needs. The only place it might be lacking is perhaps on the NSHW if I was cruising at 160ish and wanted to push it harder. Together with the ZF 8 speed transmission the overall package was superb. I have not had a car with a smoother or more responsive auto transmission compared to the 8 speed ZF.

One annoying thing is during heavy stop and go traffic in comfort mode the gearbox would at times select a lower gear which makes the whole car shudder and jolt to the next lowest gear which can be unexpected or (scary that the back car might rear end you).

Driving Experience Control (Standard)

This button handles the various drive settings, the mains ones are Eco Pro, Comfort, Sports, Sports +, the main ones I user are Eco Pro (during traffic) & Comfort mode.

Eco pro the car becomes sluggish on the throttle (perfect for heavy traffic when people reaction time seems to falter).

Comfort mode everything remains tame but the engine is very much responsive sometimes too responsive in heavy traffic.

Sports mode once activated the throttle response becomes way more responsive and the chassis becomes firmer (Both Steering & Suspension “only if you have active damping”) one of the great features is you can configure the idrive to have either have a better throttle response / firmer suspension & steering or both. (Sports+ not covered)

idrive.jpg

I believe this is a main selling point of the 3 series going forward, a family sports saloon configurable for various occasions to keep everyone happy. Great for the inner child

Modes

1.      Eco pro mode (reduce throttle + normal gear)

2.      Comfort mode (Normal throttle + normal gear)

3.      Sports Mode (Normal throttle + firm chassis & steering)

4.      Sports Mode (Sports throttle mapping + firm chassis & steering)

5.      Sports +  (Sports throttle mapping + firm chassis & steering + traction control off *not fully disengaged)

Note in any of these modes you can shift the gear stick to the left which allows for higher rec upshift which is still auto up/down shift, using paddles at this point the car will pass gear upshift/downshift to driver control.

BMW Remote App (Unsure if can retrofit/or if standard)

This is interesting, it allows you to perform task on your car from your phone. I am not sure how the car communicates independently but some other forums mention there is a sim card embedded in the idrive. Using this you can

-        Locate your car on google map (useful for tracking husbands )

-        Lock/unlock the car

-        Flash headlights/beep the horn

-        Vent the car  (Fan only) during hot days

Personal Opinion – Not necessary

Options Review

M Sport Interior (Retrofit possible)

I’m quite fond of the simplicity of the F30 interior, it does lack certain sophistication but everything is so well laid out. Compared to the previous model (E90) it seems Bmw has improved on the cockpit feeling very much like the E46 except with way more tech

M sports – The M sports option enhances the original interior by firstly covering everything in a hexagonal aluminum trim, the trim itself is solid no gaps and feels fantastic. Best of all would be the M Sports steering, the thick and soft steering wheel literally makes it hard to take your hands off after a drive on the road.

Personal Opinion – M Body kit / Interior (Good to have), M Steering Wheel (Must Have)

Buttons and function I Drive NBT (For NBT Retrofit possible)

Everything is so ergonomically positioned you can literally take command of most of the functions without having to take your eyes of the road. Below are the main buttons you need but rarely use and everything else would be on the steering wheel (assuming multi option wheel). The other one is the numbers 1 – 8 above the Air Con where you can allocate speed dial numbers. The display itself is bright but not effected by glare; it blends well with the overall dash compared to other makes.

Pic 1.1.jpgPic 1.2.jpg

Personal Opinion – Must Have

Variable sport steering – Cannot be retrofitted

This is where the car adjust the steering ratio to make it easier to steer during certain circumstances (i.e slow speeds carpark), but to me the steering feels quite natural and since I did not drive an F30 without VSS much I can’t tell how much difference the car is with or without this feature.

Personal Opinion – Undecided / Not necessary

Comfort Access (comes standard)

The comfort access feature is very elegant, assuming the key is detected the system unlocks the car once a hand curls around the door handles (no touching) which I guess saves on scratches behind the handle. There is also a light under each door handle which lights up when the car is unlock which gives a welcoming feeling especially at night

Surround view parking – Can be retrofitted

To add the surround view you have to add 3 options which is as below, this options I would be well at home with a larger car like the F10, on a F30 it fantastic since it small enough it ensures the car is always parked proper or close enough to walls and pillars without any risk of damaging the car.

The only gripe here BMW did not integrate a front camera to use with the surround view and the lack of ability to split the screens to use surround view and the rear camera at the side time (Rear camera shows more when reversing), another gripe is no option for the driver to turn the system on perpetually when driving. 30 secs before turning off unless in reverse gear.

Options needed: Rear View camera, Park Distance Control (Front sensor), Surround view (adds 4 camera mirror & bumper)

Pic 2.1.JPG

Personal Opinion – Must have (coupled with NBT Idrive)

M Performance Brakes – Can be retrofitted

Not much on this for normal driving it’s as good as regular stock brakes. However I do feel a lot more bite when I brake hard by upgrading this option you basically get the Brakes (4 pistons) and the dimpled / slotted rotors which is a lot larger than the stock brakes. Point to note is this option is dealer installed which is different from the M Sports brakes if ordered from factory (blue brakes), this does not come with the dimpled/slotted rotors just regular ones.

(Update- the brakes were so effective I did an emergency braking and got whack behind by someone on the PIE)

Personal Opinion – Good to have / Must Have (safety)

Sports Seats (comes standard with sports/msports) – Hard to retrofit

The sports seats are really comfortable, besides the usual adjustment features on a normal electric seat you can also adjust the side support to the width of your body frame (not lumbar support). This feature is available on both the driver and front passenger. I would have to say this really gives holds you to your seat during cornering, and if set right it’s a really molds around the driver.

Personal Opinion – Good to have/Must have

M Sports Exhaust – Can be retrofitted

I had this installed after the car arrived, unlike a typical performance exhaust it is considered much quieter as compared to say an akrapovic exhaust. But if you floor it the car lets out this drone which is music to the ears, it also has a popping sound if you step off the gas. Reminds me so much of my mini exhausts especially in sports mode.

Personal Opinion – Good to have

HUD system (comes standard with 328/335) – Can be retrofitted

The HUD system is a great truly great setup. It really enhances the drivers experience thru the use of colors and information which makes it easy for absorption while driving. The video below is basically how it looks like with the various functions (it doesn’t blink like as per the video and looks a lot larger). Pity that Bmw did not integrate the Rev meter and gear position on it (only for M series)

·        Navigation

·        Speed,

·        Song Listing

·        Phone contacts

Personal Opinion – Must have

HK Audio – Can be retrofitted

I decided on this after enduring years the base sound system from my Mini, since I get stuck in traffic mon – fri this option is something I really enjoy, sound quality is crisp especially for songs with great vocals. It may not be the perfect setup for the discerning audiophile but for an average joe like me it’s like having a small orchestra in the car.

Multiple 12v ports (comes standard)

I really like that the new BMW’s come with so many 12v ports available, total up at 4 with 2 in the front, one in the rear and one more in the boot. Just makes it so much handier if you need to charge things or connect camera’s etc in today’s digital world

M Running Gear – Cannot be retrofitted

The M Running Gear (or variable suspension) allows the cars suspension to be firmed or softened pending on the setting within the driver experience control. Even during the rougher road sections the system is taking road conditions and making adjustments to the ride suspension for comfort setting. During sports the suspension becomes rigid transforming the car into a proper sports saloon. I tried to find some information on this but it’s really limited. Even the Bmw video didn’t say much I had to use an Audi video as part of the research.

https://www.youtube....h?v=iYO8ei0dd4o

Apparently BMW offers 4 types of suspension for F30, Normal, M Sports, M performance, Adaptive M. The M performance would the lowest and most rigid of the 4.

I tried to do a video compare between the two but even thru observation it hard to tell how firmed up the suspension is during sports (you can see slight variations), taking tight corners it does feel much more planted.

I have a mix opinion on this, I got it initially thinking I would have it on most of the time but turns out comfort is something I use 85% of the time. Singapore roads are so good I imagine a retrofitted M sport suspension would be good enough (assuming you have standard suspension). Unless of course your driving style is a mix of 60% hard cornering at high speed 40% leisurely and you need to switch around then this is for you. Also this feature can only be turned on with the sports steering, if the two can be de-coupled it would likely see more use but as they are coupled and I prefer the normal steering feel it’s rarely turned on unless I go on full sports mode.

Personal Opinion – Not necessary (given the cost vs actual usage)

Various other reviews

Tyres & Run Flats (Standard)

BMW has taken the route to insist run flats on all its cars but I have to say the newer run flats have improved a lot over the ones on my 2011 mini, generally the ride is very smooth but the comfort is still compromised somewhat, my back passengers still whine about the ride quality over rough areas and I can feel it too. When my tyres wear out I would probably change them to regular tyres, will keep and airman inflation kit for the odd emergency.

Boot space

The boot more than sufficient for a family of 4, it can fit two strollers if need be with bags or 2 regular size luggage’s for travel (or one large and small luggage), so far I have not run out of boot space for my day to day errands with the family or overseas visitors. Plus the car comes with knock down seats which makes it flexible for extra space if required.

Pic 2.3.JPG

Can be improved (all standard stuff)

Rear Seatbelts

The rear belt buckles are flushed with the seats themselves, this makes it very tricky if you are trying to buckle in your infant/toddler, I had to buy seat belt extensions to overcome this (please buy E4 certified extenders and not some china clone) *parents please note. Additionally if you have two kids and both seats are on isofix seating someone in the middle is not realistic.

Pic 4.JPGPic 5.JPG

The Middle seat belt requires the passenger to go thru a complex motion of unhooking the belt from the secure holder and fastening it to a special clip. Not fantastic but not a big issue if the middle seat is not used often

Steering

Steering feels a lot lighter than my previous E46 series, this is probably what a lot of other users reported with BMW replacing the hydraulic steering with electric steering. At first I wasn’t used to it and longed for the heavier feel of my mini. But once I got used to it I have to admit BMW did a really great job with the electric steering. However it would be great if they could strike a better balance which I believe is coming up in the LCI edition.

http://www.caranddri...on-test-feature

One thing to note is during hard cornering the sports steering can be unusually weighted, i.e it feels more weighted than how the hydraulic would be. Too much programmed feedback IMO, sometimes if feels like the wheel if fighting the driver especially during hard cornering.

Back Seats

I got complaints that the back seats were hard and uncomfortable and they weren’t kidding, for some reason the leather is not as soft as I expected but maybe this might not be the case for a luxury version of the F30? But apparently this leather is supposed to last much longer as compared to Napa leather. Time will tell if this is really the case.

The backseat will fit two adults comfortably although 3 will be a squeeze; the hump in the middle also makes it pretty uncomfortable for the center seated person.

Front sport seat Head Rest

For the sports seats the Headrest could be better ergonomic fit. I can’t seem to find a way to adjust the headrest for my neck to be flushed with the seat, there is always a gap around the base of the neck. In the end I resorted to getting a neck pillow from Autobacs to resolve this issue.

Pic 6.JPG

Metal & Side protector (door molding)

The newer BMW which is a lot softer compared to the E46 models and the irony is they no longer have the side plastic molding which almost all the 3 series had till the E90, I always found them useful protecting the car from would be dents. Thankfully I found a company that does this and had them fitted myself, on washing the car recently I counted about 5/6 gashes in the plastic which would be likely door dings have I not installed them.

Creakiness

This seems to be a complaint for many F30 owners, the car creaks like a squeaky mousetrap especially when going over humps or rough patches, friction tape solves this but I’ve yet to get round to this.

Interior Noise

Lots of complains on this, seems the interior noise of the car is a lot worse than competitor cars (Merc/Audi). This is a valid point one of which may only be fixed thru soundproofing

Start Stop

The start stop feature on the car is quite annoying, what is more annoying is the car turns it back on every time you restart the car. You can request PML add in the memory feature for the system to recall if the start/stop was last done but this should be a mandatory feature and not on request. Plus I was told BMW now has stopped allowing new cars to have the memory function.

328 Engine sound

The 328 engine when running idle run pretty loud if you’re outside the car, some akin this to a diesel engine sound and I have to say it’s pretty close. Then again I’m hardly ever outside when the car is running.

Power Steering Motor

The power steering motor sits in the front of the car unprotected; someone pointed out if that gets damage by a rock on the road it may cause some serious issues on the steering front. Might be rare but still worth some thought

Pic 7.1.JPG

Other Bits added

I added other bits to the car just for my driving pleasure, these are simple add ons which can be done for almost any car, I highly recommend Clicon phone mounts if they have one for your car.

Clicon/Brodit Phone Mount – This is a company which customs phone mounts for various makes, the BMW one happens to sit fantastically at the door frame.

Pic 8.JPG

Bluetooth OBD  – This is a ODB Bluetooth connector coupled with a android phone running torque/race meter to provide shift points and gear in which the car is in. The ODB port on the F30 is easily located but tricky to place a reader (reader sticks out too much), I had a OBD cable extender ordered and hide the main unit under the seat.

Pic 9.JPG ,Pic 10.JPG ,Pic 11.JPG , Pic 11.1.JPG

So this completes the final view of the car, I love tech stuff hence the various bits added. Personal preference of course

Pic 12.JPG

So to sum it all up, I glad I choose the F30 for my family car. I truly enjoy the daily drive it gives me and the ability to switch modes around never fails to make me smile. Even in traffic I find ways to keep myself occupied by fiddling around with the idrive system (car stationery)/HUD/Sound system. As I intend the keep the car for some time to come keeping my fingers crossed that the car’s maintenance will be reasonable on my wallet.  It will be interesting to see how Bmw intends to enhance this already great car with the new F30 Lci.

Anyway I hope you guys enjoyed the review.

Edited by Mercury1, 29 June 2015 - 01:12 PM.

Mason016, Lala81, Vid, tyco_kia, flashbang, Columbian78, Thaiyotakamli and 5 other members praised this
My F30 review

Mitsubishi Lancer Coupe (Gone) -> Mazda Astina (Gone) -> E46 3.18 M Sports (Gone) -> Renault Clio (Gone) -> Mini Cooper S -> BMW 3.28i M Sport

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

Majordan
  • Majordan
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I was told C-class local units from C&C no DISTRONIC... but they do have speed-regulating cruise control

stock units do not come with distronic plus but they have limiter and collision prevention assist....

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

Mason016
  • Mason016
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I finally finished my long review on the F30 328i, this is my first review on a car so pardon the poor grammar and lack of flow. Also these are my views from my own driving style so may differ from others drastically.

I thought to do this write-up on the options that are available with the F30 and how they will help change your ride day to day (many reviews just review the F30 itself). I did a fair bit of online research to get details of them most of which came from overseas forums, I hope this provides some insight to the various tech items to enhance the driving pleasure of the F30. Needless to say PML charges an arm and a leg for them and I wouldn’t have added these if I didn’t intend to keep the car till scrap (near scrap). I got a quotation on some of the options if installed locally and it was almost a good 30% more. BMW will actually subtract the cost of the original parts from the upgraded parts for end tally at the factory so this is always more cost efficient.

On hindsight some of these options may not be necessary in Singapore roads, so this might help if you too are looking to add some options or retrofit some kit on your F30 but can’t decide which ones and need to prioritize.

I will put down my opinions on each ranging from the below. Note some can be retrofitted and some can’t.

(Note: most of these come standard on a 335i)

Opinions ranging from the below factoring cost and usage from day to day (and ease of installation)

-        Not necessary

-        Good to have

-        Must have

For those I’m not 100% on it will be a mix of opinions

You will need to decide if the cost of retrofitting certain options will weigh in over the cost of indenting the car (extremely little discounts and hardly any overtrade), the good news is most of the options can be retrofitted.

The car itself.

I ordered the car July 2014, I always wanted another 3 series since my E46 and I thought since I had the chance I would built it the way I intended it to be. Not being the type who like to mod I decided on a 328 which was a fantastic balance of power and maintenance (road tax, petrol consumption, car cost, insurance etc). Color was Melbourne red since it looked gorgeous on the F30. The car was finally delivered around Dec 2014 (5 months).

Petrol Consumption: I measured average petrol consumption and it about 8.7 – 8.9 Km per litre (75% City / 25% Hwy)

attachicon.gifPic 1.JPG

Pricing

Overall I felt I got a decent deal given the COE had come down quite a lot bit since 2013 when I was on the lookout, some extra discounts were thrown in during the BMW world expo. In addition the 328 came with M sports kit at no extra cost plus it also had HUD as standard which earlier 328 didn’t.

Engine & Gearbox

The N20 .28 engine itself is incredibly responsive for a 2 liter even in comfort mode it seems to be raring to go. I don’t drive aggressively day to day but in Singapore context the power delivery is more than sufficient to meet most needs. The only place it might be lacking is perhaps on the NSHW if I was cruising at 160ish and wanted to push it harder. Together with the ZF 8 speed transmission the overall package was superb. I have not had a car with a smoother or more responsive auto transmission compared to the 8 speed ZF.

One annoying thing is during heavy stop and go traffic in comfort mode the gearbox would at times select a lower gear which makes the whole car shudder and jolt to the next lowest gear which can be unexpected or (scary that the back car might rear end you).

Driving Experience Control (Standard)

This button handles the various drive settings, the mains ones are Eco Pro, Comfort, Sports, Sports +, the main ones I user are Eco Pro (during traffic) & Comfort mode.

Eco pro the car becomes sluggish on the throttle (perfect for heavy traffic when people reaction time seems to falter).

Comfort mode everything remains tame but the engine is very much responsive sometimes too responsive in heavy traffic.

Sports mode once activated the throttle response becomes way more responsive and the chassis becomes firmer (Both Steering & Suspension “only if you have active damping”) one of the great features is you can configure the idrive to have either have a better throttle response / firmer suspension & steering or both. (Sports+ not covered)

attachicon.gifidrive.jpg

I believe this is a main selling point of the 3 series going forward, a family sports saloon configurable for various occasions to keep everyone happy. Great for the inner child

Modes

1.      Eco pro mode (reduce throttle + normal gear)

2.      Comfort mode (Normal throttle + normal gear)

3.      Sports Mode (Normal throttle + firm chassis & steering)

4.      Sports Mode (Sports throttle mapping + firm chassis & steering)

5.      Sports +  (Sports throttle mapping + firm chassis & steering + traction control off *not fully disengaged)

Note in any of these modes you can shift the gear stick to the left which allows for higher rec upshift which is still auto up/down shift, using paddles at this point the car will pass gear upshift/downshift to driver control.

This is interesting, it allows you to perform task on your car from your phone. I am not sure how the car communicates independently but some other forums mention there is a sim card embedded in the idrive. Using this you can

Options Review

M Sport Interior (Retrofit possible)

I’m quite fond of the simplicity of the F30 interior, it does lack certain sophistication but everything is so well laid out. Compared to the previous model (E90) it seems Bmw has improved on the cockpit feeling very much like the E46 except with way more tech

M sports – The M sports option enhances the original interior by firstly covering everything in a hexagonal aluminum trim, the trim itself is solid no gaps and feels fantastic. Best of all would be the M Sports steering, the thick and soft steering wheel literally makes it hard to take your hands off after a drive on the road.

Personal Opinion – M Body kit / Interior (Good to have), M Steering Wheel (Must Have)

Buttons and function I Drive NBT (For NBT Retrofit possible)

Everything is so ergonomically positioned you can literally take command of most of the functions without having to take your eyes of the road. Below are the main buttons you need but rarely use and everything else would be on the steering wheel (assuming multi option wheel). The other one is the numbers 1 – 8 above the Air Con where you can allocate speed dial numbers. The display itself is bright but not effected by glare; it blends well with the overall dash compared to other makes.

attachicon.gifPic 1.1.jpgattachicon.gifPic 1.2.jpg

Personal Opinion – Must Have

Variable sport steering – Cannot be retrofitted

This is where the car adjust the steering ratio to make it easier to steer during certain circumstances (i.e slow speeds carpark), but to me the steering feels quite natural and since I did not drive an F30 without VSS much I can’t tell how much difference the car is with or without this feature.

Personal Opinion – Undecided / Not necessary

Comfort Access (comes standard)

The comfort access feature is very elegant, assuming the key is detected the system unlocks the car once a hand curls around the door handles (no touching) which I guess saves on scratches behind the handle. There is also a light under each door handle which lights up when the car is unlock which gives a welcoming feeling especially at night

Surround view parking – Can be retrofitted

To add the surround view you have to add 3 options which is as below, this options I would be well at home with a larger car like the F10, on a F30 it fantastic since it small enough it ensures the car is always parked proper or close enough to walls and pillars without any risk of damaging the car.

The only gripe here BMW did not integrate a front camera to use with the surround view and the lack of ability to split the screens to use surround view and the rear camera at the side time (Rear camera shows more when reversing), another gripe is no option for the driver to turn the system on perpetually when driving. 30 secs before turning off unless in reverse gear.

Options needed: Rear View camera, Park Distance Control (Front sensor), Surround view (adds 4 camera mirror & bumper)

attachicon.gifPic 2.1.JPG

Personal Opinion – Must have (coupled with NBT Idrive)

M Performance Brakes – Can be retrofitted

Not much on this for normal driving it’s as good as regular stock brakes. However I do feel a lot more bite when I brake hard by upgrading this option you basically get the Brakes (4 pistons) and the dimpled / slotted rotors which is a lot larger than the stock brakes. Point to note is this option is dealer installed which is different from the M Sports brakes if ordered from factory (blue brakes), this does not come with the dimpled/slotted rotors just regular ones.

(Update- the brakes were so effective I did an emergency braking and got whack behind by someone on the PIE)

Personal Opinion – Good to have / Must Have (safety)

Sports Seats (comes standard with sports/msports) – Hard to retrofit

The sports seats are really comfortable, besides the usual adjustment features on a normal electric seat you can also adjust the side support to the width of your body frame (not lumbar support). This feature is available on both the driver and front passenger. I would have to say this really gives holds you to your seat during cornering, and if set right it’s a really molds around the driver.

Personal Opinion – Good to have/Must have

M Sports Exhaust – Can be retrofitted

I had this installed after the car arrived, unlike a typical performance exhaust it is considered much quieter as compared to say an akrapovic exhaust. But if you floor it the car lets out this drone which is music to the ears, it also has a popping sound if you step off the gas. Reminds me so much of my mini exhausts especially in sports mode.

Personal Opinion – Good to have

HUD system (comes standard with 328/335) – Can be retrofitted

The HUD system is a great truly great setup. It really enhances the drivers experience thru the use of colors and information which makes it easy for absorption while driving. The video below is basically how it looks like with the various functions (it doesn’t blink like as per the video and looks a lot larger). Pity that Bmw did not integrate the Rev meter and gear position on it (only for M series)

·        Navigation

·        Speed,

·        Song Listing

·        Phone contacts

HK Audio – Can be retrofitted

I decided on this after enduring years the base sound system from my Mini, since I get stuck in traffic mon – fri this option is something I really enjoy, sound quality is crisp especially for songs with great vocals. It may not be the perfect setup for the discerning audiophile but for an average joe like me it’s like having a small orchestra in the car.

Multiple 12v ports (comes standard)

I really like that the new BMW’s come with so many 12v ports available, total up at 4 with 2 in the front, one in the rear and one more in the boot. Just makes it so much handier if you need to charge things or connect camera’s etc in today’s digital world

M Running Gear – Cannot be retrofitted

The M Running Gear (or variable suspension) allows the cars suspension to be firmed or softened pending on the setting within the driver experience control. Even during the rougher road sections the system is taking road conditions and making adjustments to the ride suspension for comfort setting. During sports the suspension becomes rigid transforming the car into a proper sports saloon. I tried to find some information on this but it’s really limited. Even the Bmw video didn’t say much I had to use an Audi video as part of the research.

https://www.youtube....h?v=iYO8ei0dd4o

Apparently BMW offers 4 types of suspension for F30, Normal, M Sports, M performance, Adaptive M. The M performance would the lowest and most rigid of the 4.

I tried to do a video compare between the two but even thru observation it hard to tell how firmed up the suspension is during sports (you can see slight variations), taking tight corners it does feel much more planted.

I have a mix opinion on this, I got it initially thinking I would have it on most of the time but turns out comfort is something I use 85% of the time. Singapore roads are so good I imagine a retrofitted M sport suspension would be good enough (assuming you have standard suspension). Unless of course your driving style is a mix of 60% hard cornering at high speed 40% leisurely and you need to switch around then this is for you. Also this feature can only be turned on with the sports steering, if the two can be de-coupled it would likely see more use but as they are coupled and I prefer the normal steering feel it’s rarely turned on unless I go on full sports mode.

Personal Opinion – Not necessary (given the cost vs actual usage)

Various other reviews

Tyres & Run Flats (Standard)

BMW has taken the route to insist run flats on all its cars but I have to say the newer run flats have improved a lot over the ones on my 2011 mini, generally the ride is very smooth but the comfort is still compromised somewhat, my back passengers still whine about the ride quality over rough areas and I can feel it too. When my tyres wear out I would probably change them to regular tyres, will keep and airman inflation kit for the odd emergency.

Boot space

The boot more than sufficient for a family of 4, it can fit two strollers if need be with bags or 2 regular size luggage’s for travel (or one large and small luggage), so far I have not run out of boot space for my day to day errands with the family or overseas visitors. Plus the car comes with knock down seats which makes it flexible for extra space if required.

attachicon.gifPic 2.3.JPG

Can be improved (all standard stuff)

Rear Seatbelts

The rear belt buckles are flushed with the seats themselves, this makes it very tricky if you are trying to buckle in your infant/toddler, I had to buy seat belt extensions to overcome this (please buy E4 certified extenders and not some china clone) *parents please note. Additionally if you have two kids and both seats are on isofix seating someone in the middle is not realistic.

attachicon.gifPic 4.JPGattachicon.gifPic 5.JPG

The Middle seat belt requires the passenger to go thru a complex motion of unhooking the belt from the secure holder and fastening it to a special clip. Not fantastic but not a big issue if the middle seat is not used often

Steering

Steering feels a lot lighter than my previous E46 series, this is probably what a lot of other users reported with BMW replacing the hydraulic steering with electric steering. At first I wasn’t used to it and longed for the heavier feel of my mini. But once I got used to it I have to admit BMW did a really great job with the electric steering. However it would be great if they could strike a better balance which I believe is coming up in the LCI edition.

http://www.caranddri...on-test-feature

One thing to note is during hard cornering the sports steering can be unusually weighted, i.e it feels more weighted than how the hydraulic would be. Too much programmed feedback IMO, sometimes if feels like the wheel if fighting the driver especially during hard cornering.

Back Seats

I got complaints that the back seats were hard and uncomfortable and they weren’t kidding, for some reason the leather is not as soft as I expected but maybe this might not be the case for a luxury version of the F30? But apparently this leather is supposed to last much longer as compared to Napa leather. Time will tell if this is really the case.

The backseat will fit two adults comfortably although 3 will be a squeeze; the hump in the middle also makes it pretty uncomfortable for the center seated person.

Front sport seat Head Rest

For the sports seats the Headrest could be better ergonomic fit. I can’t seem to find a way to adjust the headrest for my neck to be flushed with the seat, there is always a gap around the base of the neck. In the end I resorted to getting a neck pillow from Autobacs to resolve this issue.

attachicon.gifPic 6.JPG

Metal & Side protector (door molding)

The newer BMW which is a lot softer compared to the E46 models and the irony is they no longer have the side plastic molding which almost all the 3 series had till the E90, I always found them useful protecting the car from would be dents. Thankfully I found a company that does this and had them fitted myself, on washing the car recently I counted about 5/6 gashes in the plastic which would be likely door dings have I not installed them.

Creakiness

This seems to be a complaint for many F30 owners, the car creaks like a squeaky mousetrap especially when going over humps or rough patches, friction tape solves this but I’ve yet to get round to this.

Interior Noise

Lots of complains on this, seems the interior noise of the car is a lot worse than competitor cars (Merc/Audi). This is a valid point one of which may only be fixed thru soundproofing

Start Stop

The start stop feature on the car is quite annoying, what is more annoying is the car turns it back on every time you restart the car. You can request PML add in the memory feature for the system to recall if the start/stop was last done but this should be a mandatory feature and not on request. Plus I was told BMW now has stopped allowing new cars to have the memory function.

328 Engine sound

The 328 engine when running idle run pretty loud if you’re outside the car, some akin this to a diesel engine sound and I have to say it’s pretty close. Then again I’m hardly ever outside when the car is running.

Power Steering Motor

The power steering motor sits in the front of the car unprotected; someone pointed out if that gets damage by a rock on the road it may cause some serious issues on the steering front. Might be rare but still worth some thought

attachicon.gifPic 7.1.JPG

Other Bits added

I added other bits to the car just for my driving pleasure, these are simple add ons which can be done for almost any car, I highly recommend Clicon phone mounts if they have one for your car.

Clicon/Brodit Phone Mount – This is a company which customs phone mounts for various makes, the BMW one happens to sit fantastically at the door frame.

attachicon.gifPic 8.JPG

Bluetooth OBD  – This is a ODB Bluetooth connector coupled with a android phone running torque/race meter to provide shift points and gear in which the car is in. The ODB port on the F30 is easily located but tricky to place a reader (reader sticks out too much), I had a OBD cable extender ordered and hide the main unit under the seat.

attachicon.gifPic 9.JPG,attachicon.gifPic 10.JPG,attachicon.gifPic 11.JPG, attachicon.gifPic 11.1.JPG

So this completes the final view of the car, I love tech stuff hence the various bits added. Personal preference of course

attachicon.gifPic 12.JPG

So to sum it all up, I glad I choose the F30 for my family car. I truly enjoy the daily drive it gives me and the ability to switch modes around never fails to make me smile. Even in traffic I find ways to keep myself occupied by fiddling around with the idrive system (car stationery)/HUD/Sound system. As I intend the keep the car for some time to come keeping my fingers crossed that the car’s maintenance will be reasonable on my wallet.  It will be interesting to see how Bmw intends to enhance this already great car with the new F30 Lci.

Thanks! Very nice review! The last picture makes the cockpit look small? I assume it's the camera angle?

Mercury1 praised this

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:50 PM

Blacksnow
  • Blacksnow
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Very nice review. I will have a detailed read when I am more free later.

I am also looking at a used 328.

Did you have a chance to test drive the 335? I know what the specs say but how different did it feel?

Mercury1 praised this

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:08 PM

Mercury1
  • Mercury1
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Thanks Mason, I used a GoPro camera for that pic, it has a extreme fish eye lens which causes a lot of distortion but captures more details across the dash.

Thanks! Very nice review! The last picture makes the cockpit look small? I assume it's the camera angle?

Unfortunately not, I should have done so at the time but I was quite fixed on the 328 and didn't think about it till later  [dizzy]

If you can wait once the LCI hits PML's list I am sure the prices of the 328 will come down a fair bit. I can see a few on sgcarmart already likely in anticipation of the 330's arrival.

Very nice review. I will have a detailed read when I am more free later.

I am also looking at a used 328.

Did you have a chance to test drive the 335? I know what the specs say but how different did it feel?

My F30 review

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:35 PM

Wt_know
  • Wt_know
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

N20 2L turbo engine + ZF 8-speed gearbox = sweet [thumbsup]

Edited by Wt_know, 29 June 2015 - 02:47 PM.

Mercury1 and Angcheek praised this

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:13 PM

Miles
  • Miles
    5th Gear
    Author Image

BMW Remote App - not sure if you are aware of one useful feature. Go to the Google Map function in the app>search for an address you want to go to>once found, tap on the pin to display address> tap the (i) > tap send to vehicle 

This way, you save the hassle of inputting address in your car's GPS and retrieve this through messages received, and start guidance/navigation to the intended destination. 

I use this a lot as i need GPS direction when i drive across the causeway. It works across the causeway as well, meaning the SIM card preinstalled can roam overseas at their cost.

I also use this to track my vehicle in case it is being stolen across the causeway. I think it is useful. 

Edited by Miles, 29 June 2015 - 03:13 PM.

Mercury1 and Thaiyotakamli praised this

Back to Conti Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

BMW 3 Series Sedan 2012

BMW 3 Series Sedan 2012  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by andrealcolon  |  1st Gear

The Car With Dynamic Ability & Improved Comfort

BMW 3 Series that really caught on as a show stealer with its stellar headlights and sleek design. And when such a beauty is offered with two fuel options, we better be thanking the gods. BMW 3 Series is a sedan that is way beyond any ordinar... » Read More

BMW 3 Series Sedan

BMW 3 Series Sedan  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Weez911  |  2Fast2Furious

Fantastic 2 years with this car!

I have driven my F30 320i for more than 2 years before changing to a 528i. My previous car was a Jetta Sports. My 320i was the basic version and there was no navigation, poor sound system and normal seats. Other than these, this car was brill... » Read More

Related New Cars search on sgCarMart.com : BMW 3 Series Coupe, BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo, BMW 3 Series Sedan

Quick Reply

Tags: bmw, 3 series, all models, e21 and 5 more...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users