Kra canal affect Singapore Port

Fcw75

As for the pirates, I think they'll have a harder time haressing the passing ships as the PLAN already have naval bases in Pakistan, Myanmar, and also in the South China Sea.. so the PLAN will be able to secure the SLOC, and the Chinese are not shy to blast the shit out of anybody messing around with their boats...

As for the Thais, I think they are capable if they can get their politics straight, and this chess game is anybody's guess down the road.. many interests will be at stake once this canal is open...

I think can merge with tekong and coney island, thats it for NE side.. further south I think can merge with Jurong island if we really want to.. but for what? if this canal will have significant impact, then no need more shipping & supporting facilities liao..

Will we revert back to the 80s again? With less foreigners (since they'll cha bot with no jobs here) and assets prices will come down? Between a rock and a hard place if you ask me...

dont think priates wanna play china

those guys are for real

rather than blame PAP and FT.

shouldn't he reflect on why he was axed?

if he was doing well and being productive, would the coy get rid of him?

there is always 2 sides to a coin

not only him, the whole lot

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

The Thai canal is one problem we have to worry about. But there is another project by China that we should have bigger worries. Its the China-Pakistan Silk Road.

This Silk Road will take EU and Middle East trade and China market away from us.

From the way i see it, China wants to take the cake and eat it entirely by itself. They want to bao everything, and kick SEA out.

http://www.theneweconomy.com/business/china-plans-silk-road-to-pakistan

post-28957-0-48933900-1432005929_thumb.jpg

The Thai canal is one problem we have to worry about. But there is another project by China that we should have bigger worries. Its the China-Pakistan Silk Road.

This Silk Road will take EU and Middle East trade and China market away from us.

From the way i see it, China wants to take the cake and eat it entirely by itself. They want to bao everything, and kick SEA out.

from west china also need to go east china mah

then rail and truck tranposrt not the same cost as sea shipping

which one more exp, i dono

Not all that gloomy. My 2 cts worth

1. Indonesia and Australia are 2 big countries that are full of resources such as oil palm, oil, minerals etc. Hence, we shall see how we can help them to move these commodities around and hence our relevancy

2. The Kra canal is not going to be very big and very wide. Hence, based on the numbers of liners that are going to use the canal, liners could wait days before entering the canal. And when accident happen, the entire canal may become a major ship parking lot.

3. Building it is one thing, maintaining it is another black hole. Constant dredging maybe needed to ensure the depth and width are deep and big enough for liners to use.

4. Shipping companies are getting bigger and bigger ships in order to moves more load per trip. Just like A380. Hence, we use of the canal maybe limited.

Having said that, opening of canal cannot be constructed as no impact on us. Hence, we cannot rest on our laurel. Must 居安思危。

I am quite confident our country strategic planners would have thought thru such a scenario and probably already had a plan on hand. For all possibilities, the plan to counter this is being executed now. I would be very surprise if the isn't any plan from our country top scenario planners.

• Praise 1

Photo of the MOU signing between a Chinese enterprise and Thailand investment firm in Apr to work on the Kra project.

In case the seated elder on the right looks familiar to you, he is the former PM amd Army Chief of Thailand, Chavalit Yongchaiyudh.

The canal will be 102 km long, 400 meters wide and 25 meters deep and is expected to take 10 years.

Now the question is when the first dig of the soil will begin.

Sources:

http://www.stasiareport.com/the-big-story/asia-report/thailand/story/thailand%E2%80%99s-dreams-kra-20150409

http://www.sghardtruth.com/2015/05/18/netizens-response-to-kra-canal-memorandum-of-cooperation-signed-in-guangzhou/

9124676988831089448.jpg

12557353064476842654.jpg

Turbocharged

Instead of thinking how it will affect us negatively, why not consider how we can contribute and benefit from it?

We can go and contribute our expertise in maritime trade to the Thais, or even invest in the project to have a stake in it.

• Praise 2

they also starting the new asia bank, like it or not they gonna be the next big brother after US

we need more talented and capable people to join civil service to grow the country

People with foresight and commercial world experience with tenacity to take on strategic alliances, moves etc

Depending on scholars is out Liao, as singapore prospers, our neighbors are just as good and smart and have progressed as well probably at a greater rate and bigger quantum

The country has reached a stage where we need a breakthrough

Sometimes I wonder why we need to trade off gdp growth rate due to ft

Perhaps I don't know enough but I hope someone have some strategy in place to secure earnings in place of the anticipated loss arising from this new canal

they also starting the new asia bank, like it or not they gonna be the next big brother after US

I believe you are referring to Beijing-based AIIB ?

It is without doubt who will be funding the Kra project considering the entire project, like the High Speed Rail from Kunming to Singapore, are all driven by Chinese state enterprises and $ .

Interestingly, the Bank's founding members (including Singapore and Thailand) are now holding a meeting this week hosted by our Ministry of Finance.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102689065

SINGAPORE, May 19 (Reuters) - Founding members of the China-backed Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) will hold a three-day meeting in Singapore this week to discuss operational policies for the establishment of the institution.

The gathering, called the 5th chief negotiators' meeting, will also discuss the draft articles of agreement for the AIIB in Singapore from Wednesday to Friday, a Singapore Ministry of Finance statement said on Tuesday.

Turbocharged

It's always going to be cheaper to move volumes by sea than by rail. Especially true given that the proposed new silk road/rail is through hostile terrain (the land and the people).

example... despite having huge reserves of iron ore and coal, China still imports plenty by sea.

China also has another ambitious plan to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans by rail cutting through Brazil and Peru.

All of these massive infrastructure plans using their trillions in reserves looks like a good way to keep economic activity going on and have their factories chugging.

But shipping will remain relevant and so will SG.

S'pore isn't a maritime hub because of only the port... its the full package... the refining hub... the bunkering hub... the financial hub... and increasingly, an arbitration hub.

Photo of the MOU signing between a Chinese enterprise and Thailand investment firm in Apr to work on the Kra project.

In case the seated elder on the right looks familiar to you, he is the former PM amd Army Chief of Thailand, Chavalit Yongchaiyudh.

The canal will be 102 km long, 400 meters wide and 25 meters deep and is expected to take 10 years.

Now the question is when the first dig of the soil will begin.

I did a little research why the Kra canal has such specifications.

Llike the max depth of 25 m ?

Answer: Chinamax Ships.

Chinamax ships are very large bulk carrier which can't be longer than 360m (1,180 ft), wider than 65 m (213 ft) and her draft can't be more than 24 m (79 ft). The deadweight tonnage of these vessels is 380,000–400,000 DWT.

Ship's maximum measurements are defined by the Chinamax standars, allowing ports to determine whether they can accommodate ships in this class. As the name suggests, these ships are often used to move cargo to and from China along several trade routes, such as the iron ore route from Brazil to China.

Source: http://maritime-connector.com/wiki/ship-sizes/

chinamax.jpg

It's always going to be cheaper to move volumes by sea than by rail. Especially true given that the proposed new silk road/rail is through hostile terrain (the land and the people).

example... despite having huge reserves of iron ore and coal, China still imports plenty by sea.

China also has another ambitious plan to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans by rail cutting through Brazil and Peru.

All of these massive infrastructure plans using their trillions in reserves looks like a good way to keep economic activity going on and have their factories chugging.

But shipping will remain relevant and so will SG.

S'pore isn't a maritime hub because of only the port... its the full package... the refining hub... the bunkering hub... the financial hub... and increasingly, an arbitration hub.

Hopefully SG will remain relevant

The massive infrastructure generate jobs for China and profits for their construction companies too

• Praise 1

I believe you are referring to Beijing-based AIIB ?

It is without doubt who will be funding the Kra project considering the entire project, like the High Speed Rail from Kunming to Singapore, are all driven by Chinese state enterprises and $ .

Interestingly, the Bank's founding members (including Singapore and Thailand) are now holding a meeting this week hosted by our Ministry of Finance.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102689065

SINGAPORE, May 19 (Reuters) - Founding members of the China-backed Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) will hold a three-day meeting in Singapore this week to discuss operational policies for the establishment of the institution.

The gathering, called the 5th chief negotiators' meeting, will also discuss the draft articles of agreement for the AIIB in Singapore from Wednesday to Friday, a Singapore Ministry of Finance statement said on Tuesday.

yup this 1, latest report i read, alot of country have already sign up, including sg.

only prominent country that refuse is JAPAN .

look at the way china is expanding , sooner or later they gonna form a strategic partnership like nato.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Not all that insidious lah.

China always wary of being hemmed in by Japan and USA so they will open up more routes even though they may not be the most efficient route..

I did a little research why the Kra canal has such specifications.

Llike the max depth of 25 m ?

Answer: Chinamax Ships.

Chinamax ships are very large bulk carrier which can't be longer than 360m (1,180 ft), wider than 65 m (213 ft) and her draft can't be more than 24 m (79 ft). The deadweight tonnage of these vessels is 380,000400,000 DWT.

Ship's maximum measurements are defined by the Chinamax standars, allowing ports to determine whether they can accommodate ships in this class. As the name suggests, these ships are often used to move cargo to and from China along several trade routes, such as the iron ore route from Brazil to China.

Source: http://maritime-connector.com/wiki/ship-sizes/

chinamax.jpg

CN le keqiang visit Brazil today

I think he wants iron, Brazil wants marnie

• Praise 3

this is a very big frigthening news

what is the realistic impact?

what can we do?

govt say consolidate port in jurong

if 7 years time, kra canal come, then will the new jurong port be wasted?

i am sure govt already considered kra canal before planing to move port to jurong

certain industries need security to operate, and Singapore is poise to that advantage of that.

can the Thai and China govt provide that assurance, only time will tell whether it will be as successful as the Suez or Panama Canals.

• Praise 1

Actually, it is not the shipping lines that will benefit but the customers that need things shipped. Shipping lines will in fact lose out as there will be excess capacity (shorter distance means the ships can do more trips) and pressure prices to go lower (in theory, more than the savings from the shorter distance).

We are talking about the how the canal will impact the GDP of Singapore right?

If we are talking about shipping lines benefiting, beside reducing of fuel cost, ships can carry more.

Drives freight cost lower for direct & indirect competition.

Say fast forward 10 years from now.

Why would anyone use singapore as a hub when there is cheaper alternative with a much lowered cost.

When no one using Singapore as hub, the ships will reduce the frequencies which drive price up.

And a Singapore base company cannot survive with a low margin of say Usd 10 while in other places they can.

We will lost out in pricing competition as well.

Ask someone to quote air tickets Sin/JKT/Sin and JKT/Sin/JKT and you will know why.

• Praise 3

朝秦暮楚 is apt to describe China's act. They are also employing classic Sun Zi's stratagem

I've always liked this aspect of China's 5000 year history better than the PRC's that have came here (mostly)..

The port business contribute 6.5% of Singapore GDP annually. It hurts but I don't think that it will bring the whole economy down...

Firstly, take a 6.5% paycut, then see what you have to cut from your expenditure. If none, then good, but this 6.5% is something that affects another 6.5% or more of the economy. Services that service this industry. I think other bros have put it better than me. All I'm trying to say is that it will have a follow on effect.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1