Takata airbag recall

mcf

Supersonic

When my wife drives, she slides the seat far to the front. Does this exacerbate the problem?

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Just sent my family CRV for servicing over the weekend and was informed agent has changed out the airbags

When u sent for svc, how old was the car (when they swapped the air-bags for you)?
  • Praise 5

Don't think it's limited to Honda. A lot of makes and models are affected.

Yes I know. I've linked the full list many times in this thread before.

Reason why I blame Honda and Takata equally is because they conspired to hide the extent of the airbags damaging effects... the first death didn't occur a full two years from when they first observed the defect.

There's a blog post talking about this... in an earlier post in this thread.

(edited)

Damn sad for the family.

Stupid Takata and stupid Honda for hiding the problem for so many years... resulting in so many unnecessary deaths.

:a-rip:

Reported the deceased suffered chest bleeding, either she wasn't buckle up with safety belt or something hit her chest to cause the cut wound   [:(]

b8dad0f39cd94345984fbcdb7afbf6ba.jpg

View gallery

• be53498e6be643eab008049a2598c1e1.jpg
  • f4084cf7ac9d4ded956ad2a23a7d83c0.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — A Malaysian woman has died after the airbag in her Honda City vehicle ruptured in a minor collision, a safety official said Monday.

The incident Sunday came days after Honda Malaysia announced an additional recall of more than 145,000 vehicles to replace defective front passenger airbag inflators.

Fire and rescue official Rosdi Hainan said the driver-side airbag had ruptured when he arrived at the site of the accident, and the victim was bleeding from her chest.

Rosdi said the woman died a short time later.

Honda Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. said in a statement that it confirmed that the airbag had ruptured in the accident. It said the vehicle had been included in three Takata airbag recalls but the repairs had not been completed.

There have been massive recalls involving Takata airbags in millions of vehicles around the world because of faulty inflator and propellant devices that may deploy improperly in an accident, shooting out metal fragments that can injure or kill.

Worldwide, 11 known deaths and more than 100 injuries have been blamed on exploding Takata-made airbag inflators.

In November last year, a 43-year-old pregnant Malaysian housewife was killed after a collision activated the airbag in her Honda. Honda also confirmed two other deaths that are linked to airbag issues in April and May this year.

___

This story has been corrected to fix model name to City from Civic.

Edited by 2BDriver
  • Praise 4

:a-rip:

Reported the deceased suffered chest bleeding, either she wasn't buckle up with safety belt or something hit her chest to cause the cut wound   [:(]

Yes bro... this was observed in the 1st ever fatal accident involving this Takata/Honda issue in 2009...  I think Takata and Honda knew about the defect since 2006 or 07... don't remember now.

Anyway, it was a minor fender bender at less than 40km/h... but the poor victim was bleeding from her throat after the airbag deployed.

The deployment inflation caused metal fragments to fly out like shrapnel.

Takata Airbag Linked to Another Death in Malaysia

TOKYO — An airbag made by the auto supplier Takata has been linked to a crash that killed a woman in Malaysia over the weekend, the vehicle’s manufacturer said on Monday.

It is the 14th death that has been tied to the ruptures of Takata-made airbag inflaters, which are at the center of a worldwide safety recall. The devices, when they deploy with excessive force, can throw shrapnel-like shards at a vehicle’s occupants.

In the biggest and most complex consumer safety problems in industry history, automakers have recalled more than 60 million vehicles to fix the defect, which has also been blamed for more than 100 injuries. While most of the fatalities have occurred in the United States, four have now taken place in Malaysia.

Worldwide, millions of recalled vehicles are still on the road, as carmakers struggled to cope with the huge numbers of cars involved. Such was the case with the Honda involved in the latest Malaysian crash on Saturday, which resulted in the death of a 44-year-old Malaysia woman.

A spokesman for Honda Motor, which manufactured the vehicle involved in the crash, said the model had been recalled and that the carmaker had sent three notices to the owner. But the vehicle, a 2005 Honda City, had not been brought in to have the airbag component replaced.

The Honda spokesman, Teruhiko Tatebe, said Malaysian authorities were still investigating and had not formally ruled on the cause of death, although he noted that the airbag had ruptured during the crash. The Star, a Malaysian newspaper, reported that the woman suffered chest injuries.

Takata said it was working with Honda to investigate the rupture. “Our heartfelt condolences go out to the driver’s family,” the company said in a statement.

Takata representatives could not be reached for comment.

The 2005 City was recalled in May 2015 to replace the inflaters in the driver and passenger-side airbags, Honda said.

Malaysian authorities said last month that two previous automobile fatalities this year were caused by ruptured Takata inflaters. Another fatality occurred in the country in 2014.

In Malaysia, car owners can check for open recalls on Honda’s website. In the United States, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration maintains a database of recalls on its auto safety site.

Consumers in other countries should consult their dealers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/business/takata-airbag-linked-to-another-death-in-malaysia.html?_r=0

• Praise 1

Supersonic

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2016/05/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-takata-air-bag-recall/index.htm

Takata Airbag Recall - Everything You Need to Know What this recall means to you and what actions you should take
Last updated: June 21, 2016 03:00 PM

Vehicles made by 14 different automakers have been recalled to replace frontal airbags on the driver’s side or passenger’s side, or both in what NHTSA has called "the largest and most complex safety recall in U.S. history."  The airbags, made by major parts supplier Takata, were mostly installed in cars from model year 2002 through 2015.  Some of those airbags could deploy explosively, injuring or even killing car occupants.  (Look for details below on waits for replacement airbags.)

At the heart of the problem is the airbag’s inflator, a metal cartridge loaded with propellant wafers, which in some cases has ignited with explosive force.  If the inflator housing ruptures in a crash, metal shards from the airbag can be sprayed throughout the passenger cabin—a potentially disastrous outcome from a supposedly life-saving device.

NHTSA has determined the root cause of the problem: airbags that use ammonium nitrate-based propellent without a chemical drying agent.  As postulated early on, environmental moisture, high temperatures, and age as associated with the defect that can improperly inflate the airbags and even send shrapnel into the occupant.  To date, there have been 10 deaths and more than 100 injuries due to this problem in the U.S.

Through various announcements, the recall has tripled in size over the past year.  It currently stands at more than 100 million vehicles worldwide with airbag inflators needing to be replaced before 2019.

The safety agency has not yet announced the vehicles that are included in the expansion.  NHTSA will consult the affected automakers to determine a rollout schedule for the recall, prioritizing the highest-risk vehicles.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2016/05/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-takata-air-bag-recall/index.htm

Is Mitsubishi CVR also using takata airbags? Like that I should consider using a Momo steering instead

Vehicle air-bags are designed and install for head / chest protection upon heavy impact, suppose to save driver and other occupants lives, now they've made it to kill in point blank range with fragments right before the face   [rifle]

Just trusting safety belt for protection is good enough, I may consider to change steering wheel without air-bag ones   [sweatdrop]

CCB TAKATA! They must redeem themselves w HARAKIRI!

Takata air-bag manufacturer is 奸 商  indeed   [thumbsdown]

• Praise 8

Supercharged

When my wife drives, she slides the seat far to the front. Does this exacerbate the problem?

Same issue as my wife who commented her legs is not long enough, and come to think of it we didnt adjust the steering wheel backwards from my driving position. Not to mention the fragment that was shot out by the faulty takata air bag but the impact of the air bag itself is huge enough to cause serious injury if seated too near to the wheel. 

Recently my friend's car rear ended others and his wife got "punch" by the air bag and her face was swollen and her lips was like hotdog. So to sit as far from the wheel the better i feel.

I received a letter from Borneo Motor last year about the recall. Asking me to wait, but until now, no sound no picture.... KNS

Drive safe... dont activate the air bag ... they will take ages to react and wait for the COE to expire to save money.

CCB TAKATA! They must redeem themselves w HARAKIRI!

Where harakiri... I think Takata got fined less than $200m for the defect. Honda got a slap on the wrist for manipulating the bad data.

Pittance for a defect affecting over 40m cars.

Meanwhile... VW agreed to pay $15b for 500,000 cars in the US. This covers only a small fraction of the 10+m cars VW cheated with false emissions...

They should have hired Honda/Takata's lawyers

• Praise 2

Supersonic

I think the defective airbags were those build in Mexico plant.

Someone put in the wrong part.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

Vehicle air-bags are designed and install for head / chest protection upon heavy impact, suppose to save driver and other occupants lives, now they've made it to kill in point blank range with fragments right before the face [rifle]

Just trusting safety belt for protection is good enough, I may consider to change steering wheel without air-bag ones [sweatdrop]

Takata air-bag manufacturer is 奸 å indeed [thumbsdown]

Hence, i read from a link within the consumer report, she called TKT airbag = Scare-Bag. Edited by Baal

Turbocharged

A good question is whether post 2010 manufactured cars are still using these deadly airbags... Haiz.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1