Parking against traffic flow...beware

My case is more ridiculous.. I was fined for parking against traffic flow outside my parent's place which is a semi detached.. Cos their car is in car pouch, I got to park outside,L their gate, but still "flush" with the side curbs. I try my luck by appealing, and it was successful.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

I saw one parked against traffic at Race Course Rd, also kena booked.

Pls understand it's an offence to park against traffic flow.

Tough luck. This rule is not commonly enforced.

No excuse though, you should know this rule.

Imagine when you get out of your lot, it is quite dangerous to other cars and yourself too.

I got hit before on my right by some [gorgeous] doing exactly that....

Small dents but the tall kor repair was more than 10K! All paid for by her insurer.

Whenever I visit my in-law, about 2x or 3x a month, I always parked against the flow of traffic. It has been about 7 years and so far no ticket. Farther up the road is a minister house and the area is quite well patrolled.

• Praise 1

Parking against the flow of traffic is as good as driving against the flow of traffic. So be careful next time. Make the effort to do a 3-point turn and park.

Yes, several years ago, I saw at least 8 cars parking against the traffic flow with offence notice note on the windscreen. It was just a low traffic two-way small road in landed property neighborhood. The next day, all parked in opposite direction.... I believe those cars belonged to the residents of the houses. .. :(

Whenever I visit my in-law, about 2x or 3x a month, I always parked against the flow of traffic. It has been about 7 years and so far no ticket. Farther up the road is a minister house and the area is quite well patrolled.

But don't take it for granted, you are at risk of being fined. :) ....It is always correct to be a law-abiding citizen.. :)

• Praise 1

(edited)

not just the fine thingy, my relative did exactly the same thing and some guy knock into his stationary car.

and guess what, the other guy claim insurance gao gao against my relative as my relative was already wrong to park against the flow of traffic as stated by his insurer in the first place..

Edited by Kiario

... those parking wardens might have thought you were a family member or friend of the minister then...

My case is more ridiculous.. I was fined for parking against traffic flow outside my parent's place which is a semi detached.. Cos their car is in car pouch, I got to park outside,L their gate, but still "flush" with the side curbs. I try my luck by appealing, and it was successful.

I do that pretty often outside my house for convenience. Luckily nothing all these years...

Supersonic
(edited)

I have to say that, as traffic laws go, this is one of the sillier ones.

The actual risk from parking "against the flow" is actually minimal. The car emerging from the spot is only travelling counter to traffic for a brief period, and unless the road is a busy one, it shouldn't pose too much risk.

To say that travelling against the flow is *always* unacceptable is ridiculous, since every car has done that at some point. Reversing into or out of a parking spot = brief travel against the flow.

It all goes by common sense. I have no issue with them booking drivers who do this sort of thing on busy roads, where this is an actual element of danger (i.e. a head-on-collision) when pulling out against the flow. But along minor roads and especially small residential roads, all this overzealous enforcement does is inconvenience people and piss them off.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 4

Supersonic
(edited)

I do that pretty often outside my house for convenience. Luckily nothing all these years...

You're living on borrowed time my friend. All you need is a dick neighbour to complain or some warden who needs to hit his/her quota.

I have to take especial pains to park our 4th car (no space in driveway) in the direction facing the flow of traffic, despite the fact that 90% of the time, we need to make a three-point turn or detour to get to the direction we want to go when we take the car out.

Edited by Turboflat4

this happens everywhere ALL the time lah, esp in private estates or private carparks. Sometimes its just some a**holes who complained.

It's an offence but like a bro pointed out - seldom enforced. So just consider yourself unlucky

It all goes by common sense. I have no issue with them booking drivers who do this sort of thing on busy roads, where this is actual element of danger (i.e. a head-on-collision) when pulling out against the flow. But in minor roads and especially small residential roads, all this overzealous enforcement does is inconvenience people and piss them off.

agree. take for example behind my condo is a private estate. 2 lane road BUT no lane markings or any lines on both sides. So everyone falls in line and park on one side (deemed the "right side"). If one fine day 1 kuku bird decides to park on the other side and jam up the place, he's not wrong.

But those that parked against the flow will kenna. Make sense ? NO.

You're living on borrowed time my friend. All you need is a dick neighbour to complain or some warden who needs to hit his/her quota.

I have to take especial pains to park our 4th car (no space in driveway) in the direction facing the flow of traffic, despite the fact that 90% of the time, we need to make a three-point turn or detour to get to the direction we want to go when we take the car out.

borrowed time for 16 years now... [:)]

Frankly I'm not sure how all this works. My estate is one of the worst, with cars parked right up to the junction blocking view, at sharp corners, even perpendicular to the road. And patrol cars make regular patrols but no booking.

Do traffic wardens patrol private estates with no roadside parking lots?

Usually if the street is small with no centre marking and little traffic, you will be fine... Not fined.

Perhaps the street where you kena is a busy street?

Park at Clive Street. Very short no through road and only 4 parking lot each side.

Maybe early morning and warden need to fill "quotas" :a-aggressive::a-aggressive::a-aggressive: or so I heard [shakehead][shakehead]

Park at Clive Street. Very short no through road and only 4 parking lot each side.

Maybe early morning and warden need to fill "quotas" :a-aggressive::a-aggressive::a-aggressive: or so I heard [shakehead][shakehead]

why this quota theory still spreading? hahaha

Supercharged

I have to say that, as traffic laws go, this is one of the sillier ones.

The actual risk from parking "against the flow" is actually minimal. The car emerging from the spot is only travelling counter to traffic for a brief period, and unless the road is a busy one, it shouldn't pose too much risk.

To say that travelling against the flow is *always* unacceptable is ridiculous, since every car has done that at some point. Reversing into or out of a parking spot = brief travel against the flow.

It all goes by common sense. I have no issue with them booking drivers who do this sort of thing on busy roads, where this is an actual element of danger (i.e. a head-on-collision) when pulling out against the flow. But along minor roads and especially small residential roads, all this overzealous enforcement does is inconvenience people and piss them off.

I would believe that having such rule is to ensure that everything is in orderly manner?

some parallel lots are along roads that are quite busy too. if everyone does that, it may causes bad traffic?

↡ Advertisement