Parking against traffic flow...beware

i saw those Electric cars along Peck Seah Street parking against the road direction (Those designated parking charging area).

Once I walk pass the area around 1pm, around 5pm i walk pass again. Same car parked against the traffic direction.  Yet they dont receive any summon. 

Unless there isnt any summon aunty within that 4hrs period or is it these designated parking charging area cannot fine?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

You can try reasoning this way to LTA. I guarantee your appeal will not go through.

If you think your reasoning is a bigger offence, feel free to stir the nest and call LTA to give free flow of tickets to all cars parked in any private estate every time you park in it.

Not only will you satisfy your reasoning, you will also not get to park there anymore :D

I understand the danger if it is multi lane dual direction roads. I had never parked against the traffic flow in such situation, and would not even consider it.

Now try to apply this to an effectively single lane situation with one side full of parked cars. I am driving along the flow of traffic in the free lane before parking, and once more driving in the flow of traffic in the free lane after drive off. In between I am parked along the side against the flow of traffic.

Compare this to another car coming the opposite way. It is driving against the flow of traffic before parking, and once more driving against the flow of traffic after drive off. In between, it is parked along the side of the road in the flow of traffic.

What's your take on this now? Which if a bigger offence?

You can try reasoning this way to LTA. I guarantee your appeal will not go through.

If you think your reasoning is a bigger offence, feel free to stir the nest and call LTA to give free flow of tickets to all cars parked in any private estate every time you park in it.

Not only will you satisfy your reasoning, you will also not get to park there anymore :D

I know it would be pointless arguing with LTA on this, and I had mentioned before I would not be appealing using this point. Using first offender and appeal for leniency. Mayor may not work, just try.

Just wanted to bring this up for discussion.

In a single lane situation, if 2 cars going in opposite direction have an accident, the one driving against the flow of traffic will bear the brunt of it. 

If a moving car hits a stationary car parked against the flow of traffic, is the moving car absolved of responsibility?

My usual practice is to give way to oncoming cars if my lane is blocked by parked cars. Basic etiquette.

Sadly some don't practice this and they muscle through expecting everyone to give way to them.

Moving car is at fault if it hits a parked car, regardless legal or illegally parked. The onus is on driver of moving car to avoid obstacles on the road. Parked cars or other stationary objects can't move aside by themselves, right? :D

I know it would be pointless arguing with LTA on this, and I had mentioned before I would not be appealing using this point. Using first offender and appeal for leniency. Mayor may not work, just try.

In a single lane situation, if 2 cars going in opposite direction have an accident, the one driving against the flow of traffic will bear the brunt of it. 

If a moving car hits a stationary car parked against the flow of traffic, is the moving car absolved of responsibility?

My usual practice is to give way to oncoming cars if my lane is blocked by parked cars. Basic etiquette.

if your lane is blocked then you are overtaking on the opposite lane.  nothing to do with basic etiquette.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

if your lane is blocked then you are overtaking on the opposite lane. nothing to do with basic etiquette.

Well you sure like to take things out of context when this paragraph is linked to the next one.

Usually traffic wardens dun go around private estates to give presents, most of the times its a result of a complaint.

At the end of the day, some drivers chose the easy way out cos lazy to park further away (including myself). Park wrong direction, along unbroken single white lines.... Can argue till the moon turns blue, but FACT is some traffic rules are broken. No 2 ways about it.

Just received a ticket for parking against the flow of traffic. It is at a private residential estate, 2 lanes in opposite direction.

Parking allowed on one side of the road, this road always full of cars parked on that side, making this effective a one lane road. Because of this fact, any and every car that entered on the wrong side of the road would be driving against the flow of traffic, and have to give way to cars that came in on the right side of the road.

So if parking against the flow of traffic is an offence, does not travelling against the flow of traffic makes it a worst offence? A stationary car vs a moving car. But there is no other way as this road is effectively a single lane road, so every day cars skirt in and out to give way to the car that has the right of way.

The irony is this, consider back to back cars parked on one side of the road. When I park against the flow of traffic, the moment I leave to go to the other clear lane, I am driving in the flow of traffic. All cars that are parked in the flow of traffic commit immediate offence when they move out as they are then driving against the flow of traffic. Which offence is more serious?

Many a times, laws and rules are set as a catch-all condition and may not be suitable for all situations. 

I would be appealing against this ticket but using first offence as excuse and ask for leniency. I know it is fruitless reasoning with the authorities and there is a very remote chance they can add any level of discretion to the traffic warden on such cases.

I just want to bring this up again for discussion and see if anyone agrees with my views.

When a car is moving and has to go against traffic because one lane is blocked, the driver is in the car and should be able to judge whether it is safe to go into opposite lane and over take these stationary cars. Whereas, if you are parked against traffic, what if all the other cars leave? Won't you be parked in the opposite direction and have to drive against traffic when you start driving after that?

• Praise 1

When a car is moving and has to go against traffic because one lane is blocked, the driver is in the car and should be able to judge whether it is safe to go into opposite lane and over take these stationary cars. Whereas, if you are parked against traffic, what if all the other cars leave? Won't you be parked in the opposite direction and have to drive against traffic when you start driving after that?

If a car is parked against the traffic and moved off when there are no other cars, the first thing he should do is to drive to the other side of the road along the traffic. Because he know he had parked against the flow, and have to move off regardless of whether there are any other parked cars on the side. No sensible driver would think he has the right to drive against the flow of traffic just because he had parked this way.

Just out of curiosity, this morning I drove around the Telok Kurau area and in just 2 streets I can count easily at least 12 cars that had parked against the flow traffic.

Looks like there are many drivers that are not aware or conscious of such rule. Especially in an effectively single lane road where it should not make a difference which direction a car is parked.

Well, I don't disagree with you. But the question is, where do house owners park their car? It's not like HDB or even condo with communal parking lots. For house owners it's either in your house or outside. No way of saying if I have two cars and you have none, I park one in my house and one in yours.....

So it's kind of a no choice situation. But you have a point. If an accident occurs because you were driving against traffic flow because of the parked cars, is it fair for one driver to bear more responsibility?

I support it that it is an offence to park against the flow of traffic because in order to park there and move off, you have to drive against the flow of traffic. Provided there is no confusion on the flow of traffic. How can there be confusion? I see a few times because of construction, half a road is blocked up and people are directed to the other side of the road so a Lane that is one directional becomes two directional temporarily and it is not impossible that people park on the right side of the road if there is a lot there cos they think the road works will be long.

Or if a police officer waves you into a lot where you park against the flow of traffic. I DON'T THINK this will happen but after a customs officer guided me into a barrier, nothing is impossible. He was still waving when I heard the soft thunk of the barrier being hit (it's a soft barrier luckily so no damage). I stare at him and he looked with an oops as I reverse (and he nearly guided me into the rear car ).

Well, I don't disagree with you. But the question is, where do house owners park their car? It's not like HDB or even condo with communal parking lots. For house owners it's either in your house or outside. No way of saying if I have two cars and you have none, I park one in my house and one in yours.....

So it's kind of a no choice situation. But you have a point. If an accident occurs because you were driving against traffic flow because of the parked cars, is it fair for one driver to bear more responsibility?

I support it that it is an offence to park against the flow of traffic because in order to park there and move off, you have to drive against the flow of traffic. Provided there is no confusion on the flow of traffic. How can there be confusion? I see a few times because of construction, half a road is blocked up and people are directed to the other side of the road so a Lane that is one directional becomes two directional temporarily and it is not impossible that people park on the right side of the road if there is a lot there cos they think the road works will be long.

Or if a police officer waves you into a lot where you park against the flow of traffic. I DON'T THINK this will happen but after a customs officer guided me into a barrier, nothing is impossible. He was still waving when I heard the soft thunk of the barrier being hit (it's a soft barrier luckily so no damage). I stare at him and he looked with an oops as I reverse (and he nearly guided me into the rear car ).

"I support it that it is an offence to park against the flow of traffic because in order to park there and move off, you have to drive against the flow of traffic."

I think you might not have understood what I meant. In a single lane dual direction road with one side usually parked full of cars, it becomes effectively a single direction single lane road.

Ironically, in this situation, if you had parked against the flow of traffic, you are actually driving along the flow of traffic on the other side of the road. If you had made a u turn to park along the flow of traffic, you are actually driving against the flow of traffic on the other side, just so that you can park on the flown of the traffic.

Just take a look at this Google map along one of the street in Telok Kurau. I am not trying to get these cars into trouble, but you can see the red van and silver lorry had parked against the flow of traffic, but on the way there they are driving along the flow of traffic. Ironically the blue van had to drive against the flow of traffic in order to end up where it is parked along the flow of traffic.

92 Lor L Telok Kurau

92 Lor L Telok Kurau, Singapore 425530

https://goo.gl/maps/8Kxo3XMQdAU2

Anyway, no end to this discussion point. At the end of it, there is a clear regulation against parking against the flow of traffic and I was caught flouting it. Just made me more aware not to do this again in future.

If you parked against the flow, you parked against the flow.

Fact. Pay up and move on. No amount of reasoning is gonna change anything.

There are times where I'm so tempted to park against the flow all because I'm feeling lazy. The thought getting fine because of my own laziness makes me think twice and better to make a proper u-turn or sometimes go big round back to park properly.

• Praise 4

"I support it that it is an offence to park against the flow of traffic because in order to park there and move off, you have to drive against the flow of traffic."

I think you might not have understood what I meant. In a single lane dual direction road with one side usually parked full of cars, it becomes effectively a single direction single lane road.

Ironically, in this situation, if you had parked against the flow of traffic, you are actually driving along the flow of traffic on the other side of the road. If you had made a u turn to park along the flow of traffic, you are actually driving against the flow of traffic on the other side, just so that you can park on the flown of the traffic.

Just take a look at this Google map along one of the street in Telok Kurau. I am not trying to get these cars into trouble, but you can see the red van and silver lorry had parked against the flow of traffic, but on the way there they are driving along the flow of traffic. Ironically the blue van had to drive against the flow of traffic in order to end up where it is parked along the flow of traffic.

92 Lor L Telok Kurau

92 Lor L Telok Kurau, Singapore 425530

Anyway, no end to this discussion point. At the end of it, there is a clear regulation against parking against the flow of traffic and I was caught flouting it. Just made me more aware not to do this again in future.

I know what you are talking about but I was thinking of my place when I replied. :D

Not sure about telok kurau but my relative used to live at highland road near lady of lourdes school and it was a terror to drive and park there. But no wardens there so maybe I was lucky.

NPNT

talk until cow comes home also no use.

best to have a pix that sees it all.

My situation is almost the same as this location in this Google Map link.

My car is parked the same way as the red van,there is another car parked in the silver lorry position but along the flow of traffic. Hence my car is face to face with the other car.

Edited by Mlee01

If you parked against the flow, you parked against the flow.

Fact. Pay up and move on. No amount of reasoning is gonna change anything.

There are times where I'm so tempted to park against the flow all because I'm feeling lazy. The thought getting fine because of my own laziness makes me think twice and better to make a proper u-turn or sometimes go big round back to park properly.

Look at the link to the map. There is always cars parked at that side of the road at all times. Yes, it is still a lane but there is no car traffic flow on the side of the road because cars are always parked there. This is effectively a single lane road.

Did not intentionally choose this location to prove my point, just happened to pick a place I am more familiar and shows the actual situation. If you look closer, out of the 6 cars around the red van 4 had parked against the flow of traffic.

Still this does not make me any less guilty. There is indeed such regulation on and I flouted it. So will live with it.

Just received a ticket for parking against the flow of traffic. It is at a private residential estate, 2 lanes in opposite direction.

Parking allowed on one side of the road, this road always full of cars parked on that side, making this effective a one lane road. Because of this fact, any and every car that entered on the wrong side of the road would be driving against the flow of traffic, and have to give way to cars that came in on the right side of the road.

This is your thinking.   One lane in either direction, will forever be as such.  It will not suddenly become one lane in one direction.

So if parking against the flow of traffic is an offence, does not travelling against the flow of traffic makes it a worst offence? A stationary car vs a moving car. But there is no other way as this road is effectively a single lane road, so every day cars skirt in and out to give way to the car that has the right of way.

Would you rather you get summon for driving against the traffic or parking against flow of traffic?  Like I said,  the effectively part is your thinking.   The cars skirting in an out are overtaking. 

The irony is this, consider back to back cars parked on one side of the road. When I park against the flow of traffic, the moment I leave to go to the other clear lane, I am driving in the flow of traffic. All cars that are parked in the flow of traffic commit immediate offence when they move out as they are then driving against the flow of traffic. Which offence is more serious?

The car that is parked in the flow of traffic when it move off driving against the flow of traffic is unlikely to constitute as an offence because it is moving off in the direction of traffic and overtake the parked cars.  Similarly, a car parking against traffic  will likely commit 3x offences from parked until moving off.  1st, going against traffic to park the car,  parking against traffic and going against traffic when moving off. 

Many a times, laws and rules are set as a catch-all condition and may not be suitable for all situations. 

I would be appealing against this ticket but using first offence as excuse and ask for leniency. I know it is fruitless reasoning with the authorities and there is a very remote chance they can add any level of discretion to the traffic warden on such cases.

I just want to bring this up again for discussion and see if anyone agrees with my views.

I guess the bottom line is,  when one do not know, by choice or other wise,  do what others do.   Don't be special and prominent. 

Edited by Kklee
↡ Advertisement