Parking against traffic flow...beware

The truth is that rules are applied blindly on the ground to keep things simple for the enforcement officers and discretion left to the higher officers or the courts.

If you think your case has merits based on unique circumstances then by all means appeal.

The same situation is observed for bus lane enforcement, once you drive into the bus lane regardless of circumstances, the enforcement officer will just snap and submit the case e.g. you just turned into the main road and the bus lane is there and you can't stop or merge in time.

So the correct approach is to appeal and explain your reasons and hopefully get a waiver.

↡ Advertisement

Same like U-turning at junctions with no U-turn signs. 

Everyone will have reason to argue why they are justified to do a U-turn there.... "checked to make sure no approaching cars"  "am sure I gave enough allowance for the approaching cars to slow down".

Fact is no U-turn sign means no U-turn. 

• Praise 1

"I support it that it is an offence to park against the flow of traffic because in order to park there and move off, you have to drive against the flow of traffic."

I think you might not have understood what I meant. In a single lane dual direction road with one side usually parked full of cars, it becomes effectively a single direction single lane road.

Ironically, in this situation, if you had parked against the flow of traffic, you are actually driving along the flow of traffic on the other side of the road. If you had made a u turn to park along the flow of traffic, you are actually driving against the flow of traffic on the other side, just so that you can park on the flown of the traffic.

Just take a look at this Google map along one of the street in Telok Kurau. I am not trying to get these cars into trouble, but you can see the red van and silver lorry had parked against the flow of traffic, but on the way there they are driving along the flow of traffic. Ironically the blue van had to drive against the flow of traffic in order to end up where it is parked along the flow of traffic.

92 Lor L Telok Kurau

92 Lor L Telok Kurau, Singapore 425530

https://goo.gl/maps/8Kxo3XMQdAU2

Anyway, no end to this discussion point. At the end of it, there is a clear regulation against parking against the flow of traffic and I was caught flouting it. Just made me more aware not to do this again in future.

Just because cars have to drive against traffic to pass these parked cars, doesn't mean that you should leave your car parked facing the wrong way.

Same like U-turning at junctions with no U-turn signs. 

Everyone will have reason to argue why they are justified to do a U-turn there.... "checked to make sure no approaching cars"  "am sure I gave enough allowance for the approaching cars to slow down".

Fact is no U-turn sign means no U-turn. 

This No U-Turn syndrome is uniquely Singapore and reflects our trained mindset of strictly complying to regulations :) Motorists in most other countries are permitted to make u-turns freely where there are no traffic signs prohibiting the action and it is safe to do so.

To cater to some who like to act in defiance of regulations here and would make u-turns at their convenience wherever they perceive the traffic condition to be safe to do so, sometimes at the expense of posing danger or causing road congestion to other road users, "No U-Turn" signs have also been planted at certain junctions where making such turns is strictly prohibited. However, for those who are used to following instructions, junctions where neither "U-Turn" nor "No U-Turn" sign appear then become ambiguous :)

• Praise 1

The no U-Turn policy is to tekan idiots like these who don't use their brain and common sense on the road:

https://www.facebook.com/SGRVigilante/videos/1862335857194456/

This No U-Turn syndrome is uniquely Singapore and reflects our trained mindset of strictly complying to regulations :) Motorists in most other countries are permitted to make u-turns freely where there are no traffic signs prohibiting the action and it is safe to do so.

To cater to some who like to act in defiance of regulations here and would make u-turns at their convenience wherever they perceive the traffic condition to be safe to do so, sometimes at the expense of posing danger or causing road congestion to other road users, "No U-Turn" signs have also been planted at certain junctions where making such turns is strictly prohibited. However, for those who are used to following instructions, junctions where neither "U-Turn" nor "No U-Turn" sign appear then become ambiguous :)

• Praise 1

i don't know what you all are arguing about driving against traffic as opposed to parking against the flow of traffic.

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/SL/RTA1961-R11?ProvIds=P1IV-

White Lines 52.  Where continuous double white lines are painted on a road to separate traffic flowing in opposite directions, you may not overtake at the double white lines unless you keep entirely to the left of such lines.
53.  Never cross double white lines. Making a U-turn or a right turn is not allowed on a road where such lines are painted.
54.  Never cross a single continuous or broken white line along the middle of the road unless you can see that the road ahead is clear.

STOPPING AND PARKING
91.  Do not park (which means to bring a motor vehicle to a stationary position and cause it to wait for any purpose) or let your vehicle stand — (a) at a bend, the brow of a hill or a bridge; (b) on a footway or cycle track; (c) near traffic lights or pedestrian crossings; (d) on a main road or on a road carrying fast-moving traffic; (e) opposite or nearly opposite another stationary vehicle across the road, opposite a refuge or other obstruction (e.g. road repairs); (f) abreast of another vehicle; (g) opposite a continuous white line, double white lines or any other traffic sign prohibiting parking; (h) near any road side on which a single yellow line (from 7.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m.) or double yellow lines are painted; (i) within 6 metres of a junction or within 9 metres on either side of a bus stop or within 3 metres on either side of a fire hydrant, or where it will obscure a traffic sign or obstruct any entrance; (j) facing oncoming traffic; (k) on any slip road or filter lane; (l) on a fly-over, underpass or the ramps leading to any fly-over or underpass; (m) on the grass verge of a road; (n) in any bus lane; or (o) at any designated taxi stop.

• Praise 1

The no U-Turn policy is to tekan idiots like these who don't use their brain and common sense on the road:

Whether there are U-turn or no U-turn sign, these idiots still would not use their brain and common sense la.

that SW really kayu to the max!!!........ continous white line for so long distance dare to do U turn though on coming traffic  nothing ?? Dont tell me PHV driver?? .... suddenly got fare in the opposite direction and making a sudden turn as he is busy looking at his HP for the direction after that   

https://www.facebook.com/SGRVigilante/videos/1862335857194456/

Edited by BanCoe

that SW really kayu to the max!!!........ continous white line for so long distance dare to do U turn though on coming traffic  nothing ?? Dont tell me PHV driver?? .... suddenly got fare in the opposite direction and making a sudden turn as he is busy looking at his HP for the direction after that   

Just to clarify or for info, the solid white line in centre of road is a no parking instruction not a no U turn instruction????

• Praise 1

Just the same as we are not even supposed to overtake when its continous white line as it is so it should be no turning.... or U turning

as in no cutting allowed     ..... update.... sorry you are correct Bro  [thumbsup] .....  

Just to clarify or for info, the solid white line in centre of road is a no parking instruction not a no U turn instruction????

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 2

No parking at all times on either sides of a bi-directional road with a continuous white line in the middle, and do not cross the white line unless one is certain that there is no oncoming traffic. 

Refer to line 54 in the Highway Code: https://sso.agc.gov.sg/SL/RTA1961-R11?ProvIds=P1IV-

Edited by kykh

No parking at all times on either sides of a bi-directional road with a continuous white line in the middle, and do not cross the white line unless one is certain that there is no oncoming traffic. 

Refer to line 54 in the Highway Code: https://sso.agc.gov.sg/SL/RTA1961-R11?ProvIds=P1IV-

So making a U turn is not illegal.

Obviously if no oncoming traffic but they should also addcto ensure no following traffic close enough to cause accident.

Obviously if no oncoming traffic but they should also addcto ensure no following traffic close enough to cause accident.

Read sec.66
  • Praise 1

Crossing the white line is allowed for overtaking or turning right when it's safe to do so, but u-turn is permitted only if there's an u-turn sign.

Read sec.66

''U-Turn66.  Do not make a U-turn at any road intersection, junction or any opening in a road divider unless permitted to do so by a traffic sign.''

See for me that doesn't apply to the case in point.

Read sec.66

66.  Do not make a U-turn at any road intersection, junction or any opening in a road divider unless permitted to do so by a traffic sign.

So if it is not a road intersection, junction or opening in a road divider, U-turn allowed as long as not double white lines. Quite sure regarding this cuz I rmb during driving lessons also have to do 3-point turn at a small road with continuous white line.

Crossing the white line is allowed for overtaking or turning right when it's safe to do so, but u-turn is permitted only if there's an u-turn sign.

U-turn sign only applies to junction, intersection or opening in a road divider.

post-65808-0-14280400-1537259626_thumb.jpeg

This is inside a HDB open air car park. Entrance is on the left but parallel parking is on the right. Going by the regulation, are the 2 vans and black sedan behind it parking against the flow of traffic?

Recent incident made me more aware and conscious of this, and I kept seeing this happen in many places. Looks like there are more blur toads like me. If traffic warden strictly enforce this, there would be be many many tickets issued every day.

↡ Advertisement