Toshiba leaving Singapore end of May 2015

Stooky

No more Toshiba products in SG soon

Toshiba leaving Singapore end of May 2015 due to stiff competition
BY CHITRA KUMAR
SINGAPORE - Toshiba will withdraw from the television and appliances market in Singapore at the end of May due to strong market competition.
Chinese evening newspaper Shin Min Daily News reported on Thursday that Toshiba Singapore had recently sent a notice to its retailers, announcing that some products will be withdrawn from the local market.
Reporters from the Chinese daily checked with several retailers and they understand that the retailers received the notice via e-mails and letters a few weeks ago.
Toshiba said that due to a highly competitive environment in Singapore, they had to make an "extremely difficult" decision to withdraw from the local television and appliance market.
In a statement, Toshiba said after-sales customer service will continue until further notice.
Small retailers have expressed concerns over Toshiba's exit.
A retail shopowner said about half of her electrical products are from Toshiba and several of her regular customers are fans of the Japanese brand.
She also said small retailers are not doing well now and Toshiba's withdrawal will add to the problem.
One industry insider said that regardless of technical specifications, South Korean products are slightly better in comparison.
Shin Min reported that a Toshiba spokesman was unable to provide further information about their withdrawal.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

NB....recently just bought a Android Toshiba TV.

3yrs warranty...claim from who?

Till end of May mah. Quickly go dump the tv back to them and ask for refund.

I have a Toshiba system 4 aircon at home. Its compressor is made in Japan, FCUs in Thailand.

i know toshiba sells washing machine. What else ?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Actually Toshiba exit doesn't mean they quit the business, just that they move their operation out from here. Singapore is too expensive for manufacturing. The concern is the people who will lose their jobs.

Nope.. in the Sh1ty times article it's already mentioned that they will withdraw their home appliances from local market.

Actually Toshiba exit doesn't mean they quit the business, just that they move their operation out from here. Singapore is too expensive for manufacturing. The concern is the people who will lose their jobs.

• Praise 2

Toshiba TV I remembered, in the 90s is a pop choice for TV and a reliable one

Hope our fellow s'poreans affected will find new jobs too

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Was still thinking of getting a Toshiba washing machine few mths back, lucky never proceed.

I have a Toshiba laptop brought donkey years ago. Jest recently upgraded from Vista to window 7. Toshiba very reliable lah.

• Praise 3

NB....recently just bought a Android Toshiba TV.

3yrs warranty...claim from who?

After sales will continue as per normal I think.

Sigh. Sad. Toshiba quite an established name also suffering. Jialat.

The koreans r getting better these days. Japs have been complacent, a lot of jap brands r not doing well

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

They only said until further notice but when is that notice no one knows.

Quality too good that's why nobody buying?

Like Sony in the yesteryears. Then Sony farked itself up and made everything in China. I remember my last Sony product was a discman that broke on the final night of warranty. Pissed me off TTM. From then on I never touched a Sony crap again.

↡ Advertisement