Toshiba leaving Singapore end of May 2015

Stooky

Hypersonic

At home I got a few TV sets. LG, Samsung, Toshiba. So far Toshiba most reliable.

I have good opinions on Toshiba bland...

Now, the most important question is... will they have clearance sales to sell off their remaining units ....

I would love to get another unit, say TV or Fridge or Washing Machine .... only at a reasonable discount price :))

On a side-note, hopefully they can give a good compensation package to those employees that may be retrenched due to this ....

Maybe give them the priority to buy the remaining items ...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

TV is one of those things that you buy once, & you can use it for a long time. They try to make 'new' tech like 3D (which failed big time) & 4K to make people buy new ones, but I think most people are happy to live with the TV they had.

Grundig is still alive (but quite limited) still in Germany. I do not think Toshiba or Sony are doing particularly well, or terribly bad, & Philips is always there. (I have a Philips TV by the way, & it does the job), I am not expert on TV, I got it as it was recommended). Korean brands like Samsung & LG seems to be doing pretty good.

Is Ichiban (or whatwever that name) still alive & kicking in Singapore?

(edited)

My dad's Toshiba split unit air-con is still working after 21 years and used quite often. Reliable brand.

Edited by Renegade777
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

TV is one of those things that you buy once, & you can use it for a long time. They try to make 'new' tech like 3D (which failed big time) & 4K to make people buy new ones, but I think most people are happy to live with the TV they had.

Grundig is still alive (but quite limited) still in Germany. I do not think Toshiba or Sony are doing particularly well, or terribly bad, & Philips is always there. (I have a Philips TV by the way, & it does the job), I am not expert on TV, I got it as it was recommended). Korean brands like Samsung & LG seems to be doing pretty good.

Is Ichiban (or whatwever that name) still alive & kicking in Singapore?

I actually like my 3D TV :) well the kids love it at least. Paid $1,700 for a 60" Sony and they gave 6 passive glasses also. Not a bad price for a 3D TV. I also have an old 47" Philips LCD which is going strong after 7 years :D

But 4K seems very gimmicky now with no content. And the price is crazy.

When it comes to branded TV's... I think only Samsung is making any kind of money and huge volumes. Everyone else is suffering... LG, Sony, Sharp, etc.

Philips sold its TV division 3 years ago. They still hold a small minority stake but its a HK based company now.

LG lost money on its TV division but will hang on 'cos they are fighting an existential war with Samsung.

Sony got out of its JV in the tv factories with Samsung and later Panasonic. A year ago they spun out the TV division as a separate company and completely sold the Vaio/computer division. They also spun out the audio and video camcorder business as a separate company.

Sony now is only in music/movie production, playstation and photo sensors (like the one used in iPhones)...

In fact I see less of Hitachi also nowadays.... it was a good brand.... but nowadays anything goes kaput very fast , Even Sansui which used to make good stereo's and Akai and Aiwa (it got bought by Sony and it was a liability) JVC , Pioneer, Teac all down too; Some time back I was surprised to see an AKAI wall fan; Even JVC products are kind of real cheapo stuff too

Yes the Jap brands are going downhill. Thanks to their resistance to change culture. Many jap co has too many eat Liao Bee old men at the top waiting for retirement.

They don't want to rock the boat to ensure safe retirement. Also they make the stupidest investment mistakes like Panasonic investing in Plasma display factory instead of LCD.

Also becuase of so many old bird, their product designs look like shiet and technology backward.

Adding to their demise, they still export their inexperience managers overseas and not embrace globalisation.

Akira is still alive here!

Yes, Akira is the name!

Amazing its still alive with the competitions.

I actually like my 3D TV :) well the kids love it at least. Paid $1,700 for a 60" Sony and they gave 6 passive glasses also. Not a bad price for a 3D TV. I also have an old 47" Philips LCD which is going strong after 7 years :D

But 4K seems very gimmicky now with no content. And the price is crazy.

When it comes to branded TV's... I think only Samsung is making any kind of money and huge volumes. Everyone else is suffering... LG, Sony, Sharp, etc.

Philips sold its TV division 3 years ago. They still hold a small minority stake but its a HK based company now.

LG lost money on its TV division but will hang on 'cos they are fighting an existential war with Samsung.

Sony got out of its JV in the tv factories with Samsung and later Panasonic. A year ago they spun out the TV division as a separate company and completely sold the Vaio/computer division. They also spun out the audio and video camcorder business as a separate company.

Sony now is only in music/movie production, playstation and photo sensors (like the one used in iPhones)...

I actually was looking at 3D TV back when I was looking for a TV. But it seemed every company have their own standard, & they coast a fair bit more. So I just bought a good HD TV & never looked back.

I think Sony is not in a good situation now with competition from the Koreans. Japanese electronics ahve been in a steady decline for a long time. I think so far they still lead in camera section, but most other electronics, they seems to decline a lot.

But the world ic constantly changing & there are freash challenge from China. Chinese brands like Huawei is also gettig a lot of market share already in Europe, & many of my friends have Huawei phones, & they are not inferior to many other brands.

So many European brands also died also, Normende, Graetz, Siera, Telefunken, Saba, SchaubLorenz, RCA and our own home brands like Setron and Acma also went the same way, even Thomson also pulled out but from time to time i see some of their products too; This days no brand can last a life time....though watches brands work differently

Yes my first B&W TV is a Sharp that has the sliding door one. Then the next color TV is Telefunken 21" damn expensive and I remember we bought the Akai VHS player for $2000 in 1980 - a princely sum those days.

After I got married, got the "state of the art" JVC 29" CTV! Biggest screen ! And Panasonice LD player!!!!

Everyone seen to be talking about TV long lasting! Do yours mean TCS program quality improved? We hardly watch nowadays.

Supersonic
(edited)

Everyone seen to be talking about TV long lasting! Do yours mean TCS program quality improved? We hardly watch nowadays.

95% of the time, my TV is a torrented file streaming output device.

4.9% of the time, it's used to view some Starhub output, mainly F1 races, but I also watched the Mayweather-Pacquio fight on PPV.

0.1% of the time, I actually watch something by MediaCorpse, but we're talking just the budget speech and the GE-related stuff here. I've tried valiantly to watch the PM's N-day rally but it invariably puts me into a stuporous state after 10min, so I go back to streaming something more pleasant. I haven't even tried to watch the N-day parade for the last few years - heck, I can't remember the last time I actually watched even a bit of it.

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement