Another Travel Agency Run-Road - Asia Euro Holidays

Berncsp76

Twincharged

i wonder if the authorities are going to do anything about this ?

seem like businesses are folding up suddenly and affected customers are automatically told to go cry to their insurers or SCT.

it seem more like a legal loophole and like as if the business have planned the closure beforehand but still wanted to collect more monies before closing shop suddenly and making the customers suckers.

Please don't, do you know that if authorities start to regulate this and that, it will make cost of running a business even more expensive.. Those travel agencies already facing a very challenging time and you still want to add in more pressure for them to comply and increase in expenses?

That's the reason what insurance is for right? If buy insurance, at least can claim insurance..

You cannot because of a few rotten eggs and make everyone suffer.. It will do no good for the whole community..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Won't the increase in price be more than buying travel insurance (which most people already buy anyway)?

not really, nowadays I don't those 3rd party sites offers to be very much better. 

Travel agents, if biz is good, will actually be in possession of lots of cash paid up by customers. If they have serious cash-flow problems (like if got failed investments, embezzlement, boss gambling, etc etc.) despite good biz, then it is actually very risky for all the customers, as there is potential of large chunks of $$ being 'lost' should they fold up.

This is the reason why I'm always apprehensive of booking holidays way in advance, as there can be lots of uncertainties involved with the travel agency - and these are on top of other natural or man-made 'issues' like disasters, terrorism, wars, etc.

All make for  [sweatdrop]  [sweatdrop]  when planning for holidays.

Hypersonic

Depends on where u are going. If u are going china, Chan Brothers and SA are very good.

My parents have been to china many times, ownself kaki kia, take china internal tour via Shanghai or HK and via SG tour agencies.

They say going via Chan/SA is significantly better.

Of course if u are just going the tier 1 cities then don't bother lah. 

Turbocharged

wtf , school holidays just started.

those who had bought ticket, hotels, tours sure kan cheong.

hotels or land tour operators that havnt receive payment from misa travel will kick out these paxs when they turn up for check-in or at the airport.

sure many sob story appear on newspaper.

• Praise 1

That's why must buy travel insurance with travel agent insolvency.  I think it includes airline close shop.

Since 2 years ago, it is a standard benefit for travel insurance sold through travel agency.

Hypersonic

wtf , school holidays just started.

those who had bought ticket, hotels, tours sure kan cheong.

hotels or land tour operators that havnt receive payment from misa travel will kick out these paxs when they turn up for check-in or at the airport.

sure many sob story appear on newspaper.

Unless booking package tour, who still book air ticket or hotel through agent.

Turbocharged

Unless booking package tour, who still book air ticket or hotel through agent.

have....

there are many promotional air-tickets which are not available at the online Airlines website.

only travel agency system have it.

At least 17 complaints made against defunct travel agency Misa Travel

SINGAPORE - Singapore's consumer watchdog has received at least 17 complaints against Misa Travel since the travel agency closed suddenly on Wednesday (May 31).

In total, customers were out of pocket by $18,000 for packages that had not been fulfilled, said the Consumers Association of Singapore (Case).

The 23-year-old Misa Travel shut a day after the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) revoked its travel agent licence for failing to "fulfil its obligations towards its customers".

Misa Travel, set up in 1994 by Mr Kenny Chew, ran ticketing portals such as airfares.com.sg and cruises.com.sg, and had been held up as a role model for traditional travel agencies looking to migrate online.

In 2014, Mr Chew sold the company to private equity firm Zana Capital. Zana Capital and Misa Travel could not be reached on Thursday (June 1). 

Dynasty Travel said it was prepared to help affected consumers find alternative travel arrangements so that their travel plans are not disrupted, said its director of marketing communications, Ms Alicia Seah.

Case is a consumer watchdog ... since when ?   [:p] 

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/at-least-17-complaints-made-against-defunct-travel-agency-misa-travel

Misa Travel apologises to customers affected by closure, seeks patience

SINGAPORE: Local company Misa Travel on Friday (Jun 2) apologised to customers hit by its closure, saying that it is working with business partners and travel agents to sort out alternative travel options for those affected.

"After 23 years in business, it's with regrets that our major shareholder has to make the business decision to close Misa Travel Pte Ltd," the company said in a statement. "We are deeply sorry and understand the disappointment and frustrations of our customers who are affected by the closure."

The company added that it is trying its best to help customers continue with their travel plans or to get redress for their claims.

Misa Travel revealed that "the main bulk" of its affected customers had bought tickets to Hong Kong as part of a DBS travel deal, and said it is "working very closely with DBS bank and Cathay Pacific to minimise disruption to their travel plans."

It added that it is also working with other travel agencies like Dynasty Travel and New Shan Travel to see if they can help to provide alternative travel options to customers.

"As discussions with our business partners and fellow travel industry friends are still ongoing, more updates will be provided directly to the individual customers as we progress," said Misa Travel.

It acknowledged that most of the affected customers have not heard from the company, but added that it would be "progressively responding" to them as soon as possible.

In the meantime, Misa Travel said customers who need to get refunds for plane tickets should contact their respective airlines, while those who have bought travel insurance should go ahead with claims.

"We hereby like to sincerely apologise to the customers once again and seek their patience on this matter."

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/misa-travel-apologises-to-customers-affected-by-closure-seeks-8906926

• Praise 1

(edited)

hearsay, old and reputable = sibei safe leh

23 years old ... if this is a PI with 23 years in biz

many will say buy with confidence ... lol

Edited by Wt_know

Turbocharged

hearsay, old and reputable = sibei safe leh

23 years old ... if this is a PI with 23 years in biz

many will say buy with confidence ... lol

Sa la Bro

3yrs old car with 23yrs old car plate.

New driver (aka Management) cannot handle it, total crash it.

And to ST.....why always use Alicia Seah (ex SA staff)? Is she the only spokeswoman for Singapore travel industry?

• Praise 3

(edited)

Hope that Chan brothers or SA don't have such troubles. My parents going xinjiang in Sept

Make sure you buy travel insurance with travel insurance insolvency NOW.

Actually, best to buy from NTUC which cover pre-existing illness.

Edited by Davidtch

Twincharged

Misa Travel apologises to customers affected by closure, seeks patience

SINGAPORE: Local company Misa Travel on Friday (Jun 2) apologised to customers hit by its closure, saying that it is working with business partners and travel agents to sort out alternative travel options for those affected.

"After 23 years in business, it's with regrets that our major shareholder has to make the business decision to close Misa Travel Pte Ltd," the company said in a statement. "We are deeply sorry and understand the disappointment and frustrations of our customers who are affected by the closure."

The company added that it is trying its best to help customers continue with their travel plans or to get redress for their claims.

Misa Travel revealed that "the main bulk" of its affected customers had bought tickets to Hong Kong as part of a DBS travel deal, and said it is "working very closely with DBS bank and Cathay Pacific to minimise disruption to their travel plans."

It added that it is also working with other travel agencies like Dynasty Travel and New Shan Travel to see if they can help to provide alternative travel options to customers.

"As discussions with our business partners and fellow travel industry friends are still ongoing, more updates will be provided directly to the individual customers as we progress," said Misa Travel.

It acknowledged that most of the affected customers have not heard from the company, but added that it would be "progressively responding" to them as soon as possible.

In the meantime, Misa Travel said customers who need to get refunds for plane tickets should contact their respective airlines, while those who have bought travel insurance should go ahead with claims.

"We hereby like to sincerely apologise to the customers once again and seek their patience on this matter."

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/misa-travel-apologises-to-customers-affected-by-closure-seeks-8906926

I am surprised about Misa travel's closure.  Actually I almost wanted to buy the DBS Hong kong air ticket.  Their promotion was very attractive at S$188 or S$198 per pax (I forget already).  Travel in May or June with selected dates of 4 to 5 days.  End up I never buy because I wanted to go somewhere my kids never been.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Nowadays don't trust any tour agencies.

They can go tits up any time, along with your money.

If you need to make a trip, do everything yourself.

Buy your own tickets, book your own accommodations.

Plan your own itinerary.

It's not that difficult.

I think it is very difficult for travel agencies to survive due to the online technology.   Many people will plan and book their travel themselves.  In fact booking directly with airlines, hotels and etc is so much cheaper.  I have been travelling free and easy since 15 years ago.

Usually those busy, lazy or non-adventurous people and elderly will book the package tour.  Booking package tour means that we have to wake up, return to hotel and have our meals according to their scheduled time which I hate most.   They will  bring us to many "shopping places" to earn comm which I find a waste of time. 

I am surprised about Misa travel's closure.  Actually I almost wanted to buy the DBS Hong kong air ticket.  Their promotion was very attractive at S$188 or S$198 per pax (I forget already).  Travel in May or June with selected dates of 4 to 5 days.  End up I never buy because I wanted to go somewhere my kids never been.

The tickets were going for $199, even cheaper than Jetstar and Tiger. Morning departure from SIN and late afternoon return from HKG. I just travelled on this deal, 4 days in HK.  Misa e-mailed me the e-ticket around 3 weeks before departure. 

Guess no more such lobang already ...  [bigcry]

↡ Advertisement