2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Hi all,

I am a newbie and just got my white FNA about one month plus.

I am wondering whether I should go do the paint protection thingy.

Any comments or recommendation?

BTW, thanks all for your valuable sharing and knowledge - learnt a lot abou the car from you guys  [thumbsup]

Cheers

Hi Chan,

Paint protection is indeed good but within expectation of its usefulness.  It surely make maintenance of especially white car easier to keep it swee swee.

Forget about spending 1.5k on coating with those 3 years warranty type but if you are willing to spend such big $, sign up to autoglym for about the same 1.5k with quarterly maintenance ... waxing does not last as well as coating but repeatedly layers will be the best of the best.

If you dun not wish to spend such big $ or not into high maintenance needed for continue kim kim, I can recommend detailworks using fireball products from Korea and price list at carousell:

https://sg.carousell.com/detailworks/

https://www.detailworkssg.com/

Cheers,

Richard

Hi,

Have silly question, if you change tires or rims, all the time need to do balancing? 

Thanks,

Long

Hi Long,

Yes.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
↡ Advertisement

Of course. But when the new forester is launched, the pricing wouldn’t be as competitive as it is now.

That’s why I’m comparing between the existing forester vs XV.

Thanks for your input though

Current model is 5 years old, kinda old in today's context.

That is why it is "competitive" now considering MI clearing stocks for new generation model.

if Price competitiveness is a concern, at this price point there other makes to choose from but fozzie obviously very deserving considering the safety and well rounded features. 

Comfort wise I have mine reservation with evident body roll and jittery ride.

Even if the new model cost more, say $20k it is still a good and value choice considering the likes of Rav4 (2019 if its coming to Singapore), CRV, CX5, Harrier.

IMHO if no urgent to replace existing ride, good to wait out the new platform since new model and enjoyment of "latest" car and mayb better resale value if want to change car in the future.

• Praise 2

Hi Richard, thanks for the reply. I understand that.

But what about the other key features of the Forester which the XV may lack (besides the obvious and most significant advantage, boot size)?

1. Boot size

2. Electric chair

3. Sunroof

4. Apple carplay (?)

On the other hand, the XV has the following but Forester don't:

1. Eye-sight

2. New platform

3. GPS navigational system

4. Direct-injection

Appreciate if any sifus can provide further insights.

XV other than eye-sight with new platform, think the rest us not a concern, esp GPS, any HU can be changed/upgraded. When I went to MI Leng Kee, the first car I was looking at is XV, end up chosen FNA.... lolzz..... cos i need spacious for boot n comfort for rear passenger.... no regret... like and luv it...

If spacious is not your concern, then go for XV then since you seem like prefer eye-sight car.... of cos add safety on road and also got electronic handbrake, interior look better than FNA... [thumbsup]

Hi,

Have silly question, if you change tires or rims, all the time need to do balancing? 

Thanks,

Long

If you are doing at tyres shop, why they are not providing this services? Shld be included mah? Unless you took the used/swap with other car, lidat you need to pay for labour and of cos balancing..... 

Hi all,

I am a newbie and just got my white FNA about one month plus.

I am wondering whether I should go do the paint protection thingy.

Any comments or recommendation?

BTW, thanks all for your valuable sharing and knowledge - learnt a lot abou the car from you guys  [thumbsup]

Cheers

It is depend on individual preference, there are two types of paint protection, PPS aka coating or PPF aka film. I am having PPS done at SEHSHA, took their 8 years coating costs $630, worth it or not, not too sure, but so far very easy to wash and still running good, still shinning shinning after 6 months [:p] U can look for other PPS provider, nowadays so many package....

If for PPF, if you willing to spend 1.5k or more like what Richard mentioned, I feel is pointless leh, so expensive to do the film, then you might as well use this money to respray the entire car few years later, don't need any protection right now...... [laugh] Unless, you really dun like your car colour or by mistake choose the wrong colour lor....  [lipsrsealed] 

For some bros, they feel no point spend so much $$$$ on either PPS or PPF, let it be and do the respray for entire car 2-3 years later..... [smash]

Edited by titaniclexus
  • Praise 1

It is depend on individual preference, there are two types of paint protection, PPS aka coating or PPF aka film. I am having PPS done at SEHSHA, took their 8 years coating costs $630, worth it or not, not too sure, but so far very easy to wash and still running good, still shinning shinning after 6 months [:p] U can look for other PPS provider, nowadays so many package....

If for PPF, if you willing to spend 1.5k or more like what Richard mentioned, I feel is pointless leh, so expensive to do the film, then you might as well use this money to respray the entire car few years later, don't need any protection right now...... [laugh] Unless, you really dun like your car colour or by mistake choose the wrong colour lor....  [lipsrsealed] 

For some bros, they feel no point spend so much $$$$ on either PPS or PPF, let it be and do the respray for entire car 2-3 years later..... [smash]

Thanks for the advise. Will contact SENSHA and see what promotion they have currently. BTW do you need to re-do or go for maintenance for the SENSHA?

Hi Chan,

Paint protection is indeed good but within expectation of its usefulness.  It surely make maintenance of especially white car easier to keep it swee swee.

Forget about spending 1.5k on coating with those 3 years warranty type but if you are willing to spend such big $, sign up to autoglym for about the same 1.5k with quarterly maintenance ... waxing does not last as well as coating but repeatedly layers will be the best of the best.

If you dun not wish to spend such big $ or not into high maintenance needed for continue kim kim, I can recommend detailworks using fireball products from Korea and price list at carousell:

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Long,

Yes.

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks Richard.

Hi Chan,

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Long,

Yes.

Cheers,

Richard

• Praise 1

if Price competitiveness is a concern, at this price point there other makes to choose from but fozzie obviously very deserving considering the safety and well rounded features. 

Even if the new model cost more, say $20k it is still a good and value choice considering the likes of Rav4 (2019 if its coming to Singapore), CRV, CX5, Harrier.

IMHO if no urgent to replace existing ride, good to wait out the new platform since new model and enjoyment of "latest" car and mayb better resale value if want to change car in the future.

Hi Randy,

Indeed ..  albeit as I found out, our fxt is quite obviously worse than fna in discussion on body roll and jittery ride.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Everyone who bought forester na got a good deal

Everyone who bought xt pre ves got the best deal

Loving every min of my xt

I think at one time, some lucky members here even managed to bag a facelifted pre-ves fxt deal at 110k or less :D

I enjoyed my 8 mth old fxt too but am not thrilled by its cvt. The talk about bodyroll and bumpy ride is well documented and is also apparent to me but this is a high CG (one of the tallest possibly) light off-road capable suv unlike most in its segment and price range.

As for paint protection, indeed respray may also be a good refreshing option compared to the popular pps/ppf options.

• Praise 1

I enjoyed my 8 mth old fxt too but am not thrilled by its cvt. The talk about bodyroll and bumpy ride is well documented and is also apparent to me but this is a high CG (one of the tallest possibly) light off-road capable suv unlike most in its segment and price range.

Hi Scoobyfxt,

Can be significantly improved .... pink/rsr/swift/mann springs with cusco touring A adjustable dampers.

Add in 1.5k worth of sym cox body dampers from yamaha and you are good to go ... I am 1/3 there with pink springs ...  lol !

Cheers,

Richard

Of course. But when the new forester is launched, the pricing wouldnât be as competitive as it is now.

Thatâs why Iâm comparing between the existing forester vs XV.

Thanks for your input though

How do you confirm that the new one pricing will not be as competitive as now? From SE words again? At least 3 times of my experience with them is the other way round. Instead of more expensive, it turn out cheaper. It could be due to other reason (e.g lower coe) but whose care if we are not paying more. Edited by Lotr8445r
  • Praise 1

Hi Scoobyfxt,

Can be significantly improved .... pink/rsr/swift/mann springs with cusco touring A adjustable dampers.

Add in 1.5k worth of sym cox body dampers from yamaha and you are good to go ... I am 1/3 there with pink springs ... lol !

Cheers,

Richard

Hi richard

Thanks. Your generous sharing is also well documented. Haha. What is the damage for those items u mentioned ? Hehe.

Thanks for the advise. Will contact SENSHA and see what promotion they have currently. BTW do you need to re-do or go for maintenance for the SENSHA?

Thanks Richard.

Let them to explain u better... u also can check with other PPS for comparison and comfortable price!

Hi richard

Thanks. Your generous sharing is also well documented. Haha. What is the damage for those items u mentioned ? Hehe.

Hi Scooby,

Based on buying from Yahoo! Japan Auction and shipping via sendico plus gst, it is roughly the follows:

- Pink Spring: 550

- Cusco Touring A: 800

- Sym Cox body damper: 1500

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Eggroe,

As bro lot mentioned, new forester will have more of the already new XV, including rear aircon but you need to decides in my opinion on primarily the size and FC of intended ride when considering current forester FNA or even new forester 2019.

If you do not need the size and wish for lower FC as well as the shiokness of a new release and not having "old" outgoing one with new release just around the corner as well as dun/cannot wait, just get the current XV with due consideration of lack of solar film on windscreen but big factor to me on having a safer car with preferred safety suite of eyesight for my wife.

For me, the lack of solar film overrided all others especially $ and hence dropped the preferred subaru imprezza 5D and booked the mazda6 for my wife instead for another 15k albeit different segment but without preferred AWD.

Just need to bear in mind that both current FNA and XV are really VFM made in Japan cars available and this is last chance to own a different car segment of forester vs XV in a smaller car segment at lower price but it would not matter if you do not need the space primarily while you do not have to get carried away with marketing BS on new platform on stronger chassis, better ride etc. in my opinion as the current XV on new global platform is more bumper than the FNA when I test drove it together with the Imprezza 5D just 4 weeks ago but you have to test drive yourself to see if indeed the case since can be subjective.

Cheers,

Richard

Sorry, noob question, but what is VFM?

Anyway, I don't really know if I need the size or not, but hey, more is always better right? :P

But I guess you're right that I need to test drive the cars first.. I plan on trying both the XV and FNA this weekend back-to-back (tried the XV only so far).. Hopefully will be able to make a decision then.. :)

Current model is 5 years old, kinda old in today's context.

That is why it is "competitive" now considering MI clearing stocks for new generation model.

This would actually be my first car! 

Not urgent, but seeing as the COE is quite low now, thought it's the best timing.. Later COE price goes up, heart pain!

Edited by eggroe

XV other than eye-sight with new platform, think the rest us not a concern, esp GPS, any HU can be changed/upgraded. When I went to MI Leng Kee, the first car I was looking at is XV, end up chosen FNA.... lolzz..... cos i need spacious for boot n comfort for rear passenger.... no regret... like and luv it...

If spacious is not your concern, then go for XV then since you seem like prefer eye-sight car.... of cos add safety on road and also got electronic handbrake, interior look better than FNA... [thumbsup]

Yea.. True on the GPS.. plus, I think need to go back to SC to update the maps (probably at least once a year), and for that, you gotta pay!!!  [smash]

What else did you consider, which made you buy the FNA instead of the XV? You weren't sold by the sleek interior of the XV? I know I am (for now)...  [:p]

Anyway, yes, I have to admit i'm sold by the eye-sight.. But whether or not I will actually use it, is another consideration.. Furthermore, I have this fear that it will accidentally trigger while driving halfway (i.e. jam brake all of a sudden)!!  [dead]

And of course space is a luxury to have!! Who doesn't want more space right? You see my predicament.. :P

How do you confirm that the new one pricing will not be as competitive as now? From SE words again? At least 3 times of my experience with them is the other way round. Instead of more expensive, it turn out cheaper. It could be due to other reason (e.g lower coe) but whose care if we are not paying more.

Yes.. From SE words.. 

But logically speaking, it wouldn't make sense for the FNA to be priced at the same level as the XV right?

On a separate note, how do you do multiple quotes in one reply without having to copy and paste?

EDIT: I think I just did it..  [blush] But strange that it didn't merge with the previous reply.. Must be the time lag..

Anyway, thanks a lot for the comments so far.. Much appreciated!

Edited by eggroe

Sorry, noob question, but what is VFM?

Anyway, I don't really know if I need the size or not, but hey, more is always better right? :P

But I guess you're right that I need to test drive the cars first.. I plan on trying both the XV and FNA this weekend back-to-back (tried the XV only so far).. Hopefully will be able to make a decision then.. :)

This would actually be my first car!

Not urgent, but seeing as the COE is quite low now, thought it's the best timing.. Later COE price goes up, heart pain!

Hi eggroe,

Paiseh .. vfm=value for money.

For me, size is important and yes, bigger ia better but FC or/and pick up driveability will suffer.

Yea, pls go test drive bothband let us know.

Indeed good time to buy new car with low coe $ and many offers from ADs now especially with end of life offer.

Cheers.

Richard

Yea.. True on the GPS.. plus, I think need to go back to SC to update the maps (probably at least once a year), and for that, you gotta pay!!! [smash]

What else did you consider, which made you buy the FNA instead of the XV? You weren't sold by the sleek interior of the XV? I know I am (for now)... [:p]

Anyway, yes, I have to admit i'm sold by the eye-sight.. But whether or not I will actually use it, is another consideration.. Furthermore, I have this fear that it will accidentally trigger while driving halfway (i.e. jam brake all of a sudden)!! [dead]

And of course space is a luxury to have!! Who doesn't want more space right? You see my predicament.. :P

Yes.. From SE words..

But logically speaking, it wouldn't make sense for the FNA to be priced at the same level as the XV right?

On a separate note, how do you do multiple quotes in one reply without having to copy and paste?

EDIT: I think I just did it.. [blush] But strange that it didn't merge with the previous reply.. Must be the time lag..

Hi eggroe,

Please note again that because of eyesight, MI will not fit solar film for front windscreen of xv and you have to live unbearably heat in my opinion or take up risk that MI refuses to especially with insurers when doing claim.

Please ensure you declare this to your insurance company if willing to take the risk and best to have agreement with either MI or insurance company before signing though I do not know how .. hence gave up booking the impreza 5d 4 weeks ago and signed for the mazda6 with similar safety suite with added bsm aka blind spot monitoring albiet 15k more and no awd.

Cheers.

Richard

Yea.. True on the GPS.. plus, I think need to go back to SC to update the maps (probably at least once a year), and for that, you gotta pay!!! [smash]

What else did you consider, which made you buy the FNA instead of the XV? You weren't sold by the sleek interior of the XV? I know I am (for now)... [:p]

Anyway, yes, I have to admit i'm sold by the eye-sight.. But whether or not I will actually use it, is another consideration.. Furthermore, I have this fear that it will accidentally trigger while driving halfway (i.e. jam brake all of a sudden)!! [dead]

Yes.. From SE words..

EDIT: I think I just did it.. [blush] But strange that it didn't merge with the previous reply.. Must be the time lag..

Why not , as it has a lower omv ? Edited by Lotr8445r
↡ Advertisement