Taiwan: Car Rental (Taipei)

BabyBlade

My family of total 5 pax will be going taiwan in Dec.

Itinaery will be 台北-清境-阿里山-花莲-台北.

Should I drive? Really appreciate feedbacks on this issue. Taking HSR is pretty ex for 5 pax and hiring driver is not cheap either.

Should I drive? Really appreciate feedbacks on this issue. Taking HSR is pretty ex for 5 pax and hiring driver is not cheap either.

Check out this thread. More discussion for car driving in Taiwan.

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2670172-taiwan-road-trip-taiwan/?hl=%2Btaiwan+%2Broad+%2Btrip

If you have not problem driving a left hand drive. I will say go ahead and get a rental car. Especially the location like 清境 & 阿里山 will be very convenient.

You can check some if my post at the mention thread.

• Praise 2

Check out this thread. More discussion for car driving in Taiwan.

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2670172-taiwan-road-trip-taiwan/?hl=%2Btaiwan+%2Broad+%2Btrip

If you have not problem driving a left hand drive. I will say go ahead and get a rental car. Especially the location like 清境 & 阿里山 will be very convenient.

You can check some if my post at the mention thread.

Thanks bro.....

Itinaery will be å°å-æ¸å¢-é¿éå±±-è±è²-å°å.

2 points to take note

1) mountain road not easy to navigate

2) lots of speed cam on the roads with speed limit less than 60

2 points to take note

Driven in two mountains in MY should give me some experience.

Well, speeding is my least concern. I seriously doubt would do that in unfamiliar places.

Btw, GPS input in English or Chinese as taiwan is more biased towards Chinese.

Probably would use Google map

Well, speeding is my least concern. I seriously doubt would do that in unfamiliar places.

remember to give way in the mountains whenever its safe..... we may not take those speeds.. but the locals... know the way very well.. juz let them pass  [;)]

• Praise 1

Problem with mountains are the single line overtaking of slow moving vehicle. Also take into consideration of failing rocks n what to do during earthquake.
  • Praise 1

i calculate the budget and decided to hire a car with driver.

the decision was base on 1) driving on the opposite side of the road in an unfamiliar country side 2) less stress on driving and worrying about the next destination 3) free guide that will tell us more about the country and places, also can take us to some interesting places for food.

i let him arrange for all the accommodation outside taipei where we only do taipei free n easy without car. they will also take care of the logistics like tickets and other details, even have wifi in the car  [laugh]

i wanted to drive, but my wife is more concern about my well being (my knee usually act up in cold weather), and able to focus on enjoying the scenery and spend more time with the family.

I am using google map. which is very accurate. 

Just buy a local Data SIM card at the airport. Very cheap. 10 days unlimited data for TWD500.

• Praise 2

2 points to take note

It is not difficult to drive in Taiwan mountain area. Their road condition are a lot better than Malaysia one.

i calculate the budget and decided to hire a car with driver.

the decision was base on 1) driving on the opposite side of the road in an unfamiliar country side 2) less stress on driving and worrying about the next destination 3) free guide that will tell us more about the country and places, also can take us to some interesting places for food.

i let him arrange for all the accommodation outside taipei where we only do taipei free n easy without car. they will also take care of the logistics like tickets and other details, even have wifi in the car  [laugh]

i wanted to drive, but my wife is more concern about my well being (my knee usually act up in cold weather), and able to focus on enjoying the scenery and spend more time with the family.

I trust my own driving more than getting an unknown driver. 

Some of those driving style will just make me feel tense through out the trip.

Edited by Tohto

Thanks to all Bros for the feedbacks.

Shall find out more through search on car rental and hiring drivers. It's should be a 5day drive and with own transport, definitely more convenient. Gonna be a wish or altis......

Let's see....

I trust my own driving more than getting an unknown driver. 

Some of those driving style will just make me feel tense through out the trip.

it was actually referred by one of the very prominent members here  [laugh]  [laugh]

i have added him in FB and seeing the update of the tour groups that he took since September, can see that he is a responsible host (actually i pay for a driver + him as a guide), and very popular among the SG/MY tourists. He works beyond the normal hours if needed. 

Our plan include going from CJ to YL, and asked if we could take the mountain route via Hua lian, but he rather be safe and take the highway back to Taipei.

it was actually referred by one of the very prominent members here  [laugh]  [laugh]

i have added him in FB and seeing the update of the tour groups that he took since September, can see that he is a responsible host (actually i pay for a driver + him as a guide), and very popular among the SG/MY tourists. He works beyond the normal hours if needed. 

Our plan include going from CJ to YL, and asked if we could take the mountain route via Hua lian, but he rather be safe and take the highway back to Taipei.

HI jman888,

Is the Taiwan driver you referring name as Meeky Yang?

HI jman888,

Is the Taiwan driver you referring name as Meeky Yang?

i google the name and saw many recommendations, but not him.

the guy i engage dun go by day and not THE driver. i will first draft out my itinerary and places that we wish to go, he will then plan the route and give suggestions. we are comfortable to even let him arrange the accommodation. Hence the quote was by per pax (all inclusive except food & entrance ticket if any).

↡ Advertisement