Career Advice?

Little_prince

Depends. U will jump eventually? Cos if so, choose B. The reason is that with a higher basic, u can negotiate for a raise in your next company which also pays higher bonus.

If you choose the one where basic is low and your annual is higher, when u jump, your increment is less and assuming this MNC pays a good bonus, how likely are u to find another company that pays better bonuses? But if u plan to stay long then go for it.

Another point. Your annual increment is based on your basic pay and not your annual package.

And some MNCs might not pay 13th month bonus and hence it seems like they offer higher basic. Y no 13th month? Cos is USA UK so on, ppl are paid every two weeks unlike us, every calendar month which means we are paid only 48 weeks of salary and hence 13th month since there are 52 weeks a year.

Thanks bro. Bloody hell. You did a much better job than my HR explaining this part!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

A couple of questions on Career . Would appreciate your thoughts on it.

Scenario 1.

JOB A. Job title manager. higher annual gross salary than job B. high bonus (4-6mths historically)

JOB B. Job Title Director. Overall lower annual salary due to less bonus ( abt 10-15% less overall) but much higher basic.

both are considered reputable MNCs and quite stable.

Which one would you choose and why?

thanks

For the Director post, can employ personal secretary or not? [blush]

• Praise 4

Hypersonic

For the Director post, can employ personal secretary or not? [blush]

Wah lao Eh. All the ruling here...

congrats bro!!.. i feel should take up offer (B) since higher basic, title..

now is your current position needing a replacement??.. since you are leaving present company... [:p] [:p]

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

If you take B, tell us where is job A

some of us can apply.

:D

[laugh] [laugh] [thumbsup]

And vice versa isn't it :D

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Let's go back to mcf standard first

Manager min 15 to 20 k per month

Director min 30 to 50 k per month

If no have, reject both jobs

😂

• Praise 2

Jack Ma Charts Out What Your Life Should Be Like Between 20 And 60 Years Old

On a television show broadcast in May by South Korea’s KBS, Jack Ma spoke to young and eager South Koreans about how to be successful in life, as well as the regrets he faced. According to him, there is a timeline that we must all face in our lives; it starts from the time we turn 20, and lasts all the way till our 60s.

This is what he said (you can watch the full video here):

Before you turn 20 years old, be a good student.

…just to get some experience.

Before you turn 30 years old, follow somebody.

Go to a small company. Normally, in a big company, it is good to learn processing; you are part of a big machine. But when you go to a small company, you learn the passion, you learn the dreams. You learn to do a lot of things at one time. So before 30 years old, it’s not which company you go to, it’s which boss you follow. A good boss teaches you differently.

Between 30 and 40 years old, you need to think clearly whether you want to work for yourself, if you really want to be an entrepreneur.

When you’re between 40 and 50 years old, you must do all the things that you are good at.

Don’t try to jump into a new area, it’s too late. You may be successful, but the rate of dying is too big. So when you’re between the ages of 40 and 50, think about how you can focus on things that you are good at.

But when you are 50 to 60 years old, work for the young people.

Because young people can do better than you. So rely on them, invest in them, and make sure they’re good.

When you are over 60 years old, spend time on yourself.

On the beach, sunshine, it’s too late for you to change.

This is my advice to the young people: 25 years old, make enough mistakes. Don’t worry! You fall, you stand up, you fall…enjoy it! You’re 25 years old, enjoy the show!”

On Regrets

“Well, I regret a lot of things. I regret meeting the media. I regret that I speak in public. Because I could have my own privacy. I regret that I work so hard and spend so little time with my family.

And if I have another life, I would never do things like this. My wife said, “you do not belong to me, you belong to Alibaba.”

But, life is so short. It’s all about experience. People seek different views. Some people think you’re rich, you’re successful, but you’re not! Some people say this guy does not have money, he’s a terrible guy, but maybe not! Everyone chooses their own life.

I cry [because]we had a lot of problems that nobody ever [imagined]. Because I’m running a company, running 4,000 young people, operating a company for more than 500 million people. [With] 500 million people, if one percent are bad guys, then you have 5 million bad guys. So, it’s [a]headache.

But it’s too late to regret, forget about regret! Just think, “I’ve got 10-20 years to go”, enjoy the show, enjoy the ride.”

• Praise 3

Supersonic

Errrrrrr......how cum even got such a toss up between a Manager n Director position? It's either a case of job title super deflation or super inflation.

Title is not important because it differs from company to company

Job scope is important, so is salary

Don't calculate by month, evaluate by total package including bonus, 13mth, allowance etc.

Some companies give big title but actually job scope is very small, won't help in your next job

• Praise 3

Scenario 1.

JOB A. Job title manager. higher annual gross salary than job B. high bonus (4-6mths historically)

JOB B. Job Title Director. Overall lower annual salary due to less bonus ( abt 10-15% less overall) but much higher basic.

thanks

higher basic

Actually the better question is what happened to the predecessor of the said positions. Did he/she got sacked or got promoted? LoL...

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Errrrrrr......how cum even got such a toss up between a Manager n Director position? It's either a case of job title super deflation or super inflation.

Most of the time, I would assume director to have a stake in a company.

Hypersonic

Scenario 1.

thanks

10 to 15% lower annually is seriously a lot of money

Every 100k you make annually is 10k to 15k lower

Depends. U will jump eventually? Cos if so, choose B. The reason is that with a higher basic, u can negotiate for a raise in your next company which also pays higher bonus.

If you choose the one where basic is low and your annual is higher, when u jump, your increment is less and assuming this MNC pays a good bonus, how likely are u to find another company that pays better bonuses? But if u plan to stay long then go for it.

Another point. Your annual increment is based on your basic pay and not your annual package.

And some MNCs might not pay 13th month bonus and hence it seems like they offer higher basic. Y no 13th month? Cos is USA UK so on, ppl are paid every two weeks unlike us, every calendar month which means we are paid only 48 weeks of salary and hence 13th month since there are 52 weeks a year.

Not true. Your remuneration is negotiated based on per month.

In actual fact, they are calculated and pay out based on per day.

E.g., if that month has 22 working days, you will find that your daily remuneration will be different from those month that has 21 days.

You can find that when you resigned on a odd day and they pro-rate your pay + encashed your leave.

If they don't, you should be questioning them about AWS which should be your entitlemet.

MoM did not elaborate the reason for AWS but it is not compulsory.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/salary/variable-wage-components

So one need to leave that out when negotiating with their basic.

Finally, does the Telco, PUB or TC ask you to pay them 13th month?

lol. no lah. still considering.

still got other factors like travel % etc.

congrats bro!!.. i feel should take up offer (B) since higher basic, title..

now is your current position needing a replacement??.. since you are leaving present company... [:p] [:p]

manager 15-20k? definitely not common lah. that one sibei senior manager level liaoz. lol

Let's go back to mcf standard first

Manager min 15 to 20 k per month

Director min 30 to 50 k per month

If no have, reject both jobs

😂

↡ Advertisement