Career Advice?

Little_prince

Errrrrrr......how cum even got such a toss up between a Manager n Director position? It's either a case of job title super deflation or super inflation.

some coompany structured differently. e.g banks

compare a manager salary in SIA vs a AVP in a bank.

AVP machiam is asst manager outside nia.

↡ Advertisement

Title is not important because it differs from company to company

Job scope is important, so is salary

Don't calculate by month, evaluate by total package including bonus, 13mth, allowance etc.

Some companies give big title but actually job scope is very small, won't help in your next job

yeah.

but director title might open up more doors in future....

Not true. Your remuneration is negotiated based on per month.

In actual fact, they are calculated and pay out based on per day.

E.g., if that month has 22 working days, you will find that your daily remuneration will be different from those month that has 21 days.

You can find that when you resigned on a odd day and they pro-rate your pay + encashed your leave.

If they don't, you should be questioning them about AWS which should be your entitlemet.

MoM did not elaborate the reason for AWS but it is not compulsory.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/salary/variable-wage-components

So one need to leave that out when negotiating with their basic.

Finally, does the Telco, PUB or TC ask you to pay them 13th month?

13mth is not an entitlement. it's a fall back from the old days when salary was paid weekly.

12mths x 4 weeks = 48 weeks salary. but 52 weeks in a year. the extra 4 weeks is the 13th mth.

(edited)

13mth is not an entitlement. it's a fall back from the old days when salary was paid weekly.

12mths x 4 weeks = 48 weeks salary. but 52 weeks in a year. the extra 4 weeks is the 13th mth.

This topic had been subjected to argument for Eon.

Simple calculation:

1. You nego for a job, you state that your expected basic salary is e.g. $3,000 per mth or $36,000 per year (365 days or 52 calendar week).

2. You started work on 1 Jan and your annual statement shows that you received $36,000 of basic annual up to Dec 31 for the same year.

3. They add in a component of AWS which makes your annual income of $39,000.

4. In this case, is the AWS a bonus or part of your pay? Remember you still work 52 weeks and getting $36,000 for 52 weeks work.

To me it is a component or bonus on how you nego and perceive and which I mentioned that one should consider leaving the AWS out during their nego for their expected basic.

Btw, based on your understanding, 13th month to you should be your right or entitlement since it accounts for the 4 weeks. right?

Edited by Gerrick74

A couple of questions on Career . Would appreciate your thoughts on it.

Scenario 1.

JOB A. Job title manager. higher annual gross salary than job B. high bonus (4-6mths historically)

JOB B. Job Title Director. Overall lower annual salary due to less bonus ( abt 10-15% less overall) but much higher basic.

both are considered reputable MNCs and quite stable.

Which one would you choose and why?

thanks

Definitely Job A

Scenario 1.

JOB A. Job title manager. higher annual gross salary than job B. high bonus (4-6mths historically)

JOB B. Job Title Director. Overall lower annual salary due to less bonus ( abt 10-15% less overall) but much higher basic.

thanks

Firstly should look at the company structure and access how high is the position. Most company Director level is high but some company still using manager title and the manager is very senior.

Next needs to access the prospect of the post offering. Whether anyway to climb higher. Like Government job, on top of Director is Senior Director and then Group Director. So the Director post may not really be senior in this sense.

Lastly access whether how many overseas trip the post will have. Of course the more the better.

My choice is I will choose one with more senior post and more relax job scope. My take is working should be happy and why want to stress out ourselves?

• Praise 2

Firstly should look at the company structure and access how high is the position. Most company Director level is high but some company still using manager title and the manager is very senior.

Next needs to access the prospect of the post offering. Whether anyway to climb higher. Like Government job, on top of Director is Senior Director and then Group Director. So the Director post may not really be senior in this sense.

Lastly access whether how many overseas trip the post will have. Of course the more the better.

My choice is I will choose one with more senior post and more relax job scope. My take is working should be happy and why want to stress out ourselves?

I rather have less travelling though. but regional portfolio is a given at this level.

Current job confort is gd. Coy culture . Work life balance is relatively ok. Boss also likes me. Pay not fantastically high but still comfortable on the annual package.

New coy. Basic high. But only 13mth. So annual will be abt 10%less. More travelling . Bigger portfolio. Need to build up my street cred from scratch. But might open more opportunities in future.

Hence my dilemma

Internal Moderator

Scenario 1.

thanks

Congrats on having this tough choice.

Free MEAL from you for all MCFers who commented on this thread? [grin]

I will be moderating this space. [sly]

• Praise 4

Supersonic

commenting for free meal!

i think Job A not bad, Job B also good [thumbsup]

Hypersonic

Since you have provided only pay and title details. Suggestions can only be made base on these two criteria. Bigger title don't matter much to me as the pay. Bigger title may also suggest higher responsibilities.

Bigger wallet wins...Job A..

I rather have less travelling though. but regional portfolio is a given at this level.

Current job confort is gd. Coy culture . Work life balance is relatively ok. Boss also likes me. Pay not fantastically high but still comfortable on the annual package.

New coy. Basic high. But only 13mth. So annual will be abt 10%less. More travelling . Bigger portfolio. Need to build up my street cred from scratch. But might open more opportunities in future.

Hence my dilemma

One more thing to note is the immediate superior you will be reporting to. You should at least make sure you like this person. Similar to your current job, your boss like you and therefore the new job should probably has got someone like you too.

Supersonic

One more thing to note is the immediate superior you will be reporting to. You should at least make sure you like this person. Similar to your current job, your boss like you and therefore the new job should probably has got someone like you too.

But such things are difficult to know before you actually join and interact with the person.

Supersonic

some coompany structured differently. e.g banks

compare a manager salary in SIA vs a AVP in a bank.

AVP machiam is asst manager outside nia.

Oic.....in that case, go for the bigger sounding post. One gotta get thru the threshold to be poised for bigger things ahead. Some c-suite headhunters wun bother looking up someone whose extg title doesn't suit their client's prerequisite.

bro. won't know new boss's pattern until start work. lol

but new boss is zar bor. that one i a bit scared scared. i worked for very extreme female bosses.

good ones very good. they are more considerate for staff well being and career progression and generally more loyal to staff.

the jialat one usually very jialat. 30 days a month PMS type and super micromanager. down to presentation fonts they will ngiam.

my current ang moh boss quite like me. shield me from most office politics. coy culture is ok. colleague also nice. and I think still got career growth opportunity in the short to mid term. while the director role i think very hard to progress upwards further. but director title might open more doors in future.

haiz.

↡ Advertisement