• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
46 replies to this topic | 195 praises

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:03 AM

No_worries
  • Premium member
    No_worries
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Was traveling along the CTE towards Ang Mo Kio yesterday evening at around 645pm at the third lane, i.e extreme left lane.

The second car in front of me, a greenish silver BMW E90 with SGJ plate suddenly emitted a lot of white smoke from his exhaust and the effect was almost like a smoke bomb, enough to decrease visibility to almost zero across 3 lanes.

The car in front me braked suddenly and I almost crashed into him, the thick white smoke also almost cause a chain collision on my right.

Not angry or anything, but I hope the BMW driver's vehicle is ok and not too expensive to fix. The amount of white smoke emitted is really scary!

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:21 AM

nazerath
  • nazerath
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Engine kaput?

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:25 AM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Usually in older BMW & Mercedes Benz this smoke is cause by a leak in the vacuum line link to the gearbox,the smoke is cause by the ATF,entering the engine.

Mazda 6..2.5.

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:29 AM

F355
  • F355
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

He almost caused a chain collision and your first thought is hope that his vehicle is OK and not too expensive to fix ???

nazerath, Othello, Opel17, Holdenutessv, Vinyl, Count-Bracula, Kennnny and 2 other members praised this

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:31 AM

nazerath
  • nazerath
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Isn't the transmission a seal unit? How could it get to the engine?

He almost caused a chain collision and your first thought is hope that his vehicle is OK and not too expensive to fix ???

Lol
FourZero, Byteslurve, Toothiewabbit, Raymondism and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:19 AM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Engine kaput?

One possibility is head gasket blown.

Coolant gets into the engine and burned as white smoke.

Oil burns as blue smoke.

Edited by Kb27, 05 June 2015 - 08:20 AM.

nazerath and F355 praised this

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:25 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Must be blown head gasket. Coolant enters the hot combustion chambers to produce the white smoke. SGJ plate I think left approx. 1year before scrap. Must overhaul the engine to repair and clean it up. Big job.

I want to be a nice person but....there are just too many people around who are not smart.

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:28 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888

TS is a kind and gracious man [thumbsup]
Silver_blade praised this
骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:46 AM

No_worries
  • Premium member
    No_worries
    6th Gear
    Author Image

We will just give the driver the benefit of doubt. These days really a lot of old cars on the road and unlike the mid 2000s where almost every other day, you see someone chut sin chia (register new car).

So purpose is just to warn drivers here to look out for one another and have a bit more alert. [:p]

Silver_blade, Baal, Tohto and F355 praised this

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

Lowrider
  • Lowrider
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Must be blown head gasket. Coolant enters the hot combustion chambers to produce the white smoke. SGJ plate I think left approx. 1year before scrap. Must overhaul the engine to repair and clean it up. Big job.

Coolant and most probably engine oil, too...

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:28 AM

Eviilusion
  • Premium member
    Eviilusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

We will just give the driver the benefit of doubt. These days really a lot of old cars on the road and unlike the mid 2000s where almost every other day, you see someone chut sin chia (register new car).

So purpose is just to warn drivers here to look out for one another and have a bit more alert. [:p]

only in SG is a car less than 10 yrs is considered old....maciam antique.....overseas u can see cars older than 20 yrs and still running!
F355, Davidtch, Benarsenal, Camrysfa, Tohto, Nolicense, S4vtec and 1 Anonymous member praised this
Together We stand Alone

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:34 AM

Throttle2
  • Throttle2
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

One possibility is head gasket blown.
Coolant gets into the engine and burned as white smoke.

Oil burns as blue smoke.

Most people cant tell white smoke from blue smoke becos its just a light tinge of difference.

There is actually low chance of gasket blowing, unless the engine has been subjected to really a lot of stress and heat. Likelihood is AOS malfunction so engine oil got into the system.
Silver_blade praised this
Targetting to truly retire by 2028
Give away my CPF
Travel the world and smoke those Cubans!

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Most people cant tell white smoke from blue smoke becos its just a light tinge of difference.

There is actually low chance of gasket blowing, unless the engine has been subjected to really a lot of stress and heat. Likelihood is AOS malfunction so engine oil got into the system.

Wah sei......first time hear u talk tech. Thot u gonna suggest to the E90 owner to buy a new M5 and pay full cash. Lol....
Kangadrool praised this

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

Chucky2007
  • Premium member
    Chucky2007
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Will the BMW catch fire?
有❤️就好👌
多做少说,多听👂少讲
做人吃点亏,莫占人便宜

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:31 AM

Throttle2
  • Throttle2
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Wah sei......first time hear u talk tech. Thot u gonna suggest to the E90 owner to buy a new M5 and pay full cash. Lol....

Not first time lah, dude....
I quite hands on type.
Otherwise let PML, C&C, Stuttgart,.. Carrot........

Muayhahahaha
Targetting to truly retire by 2028
Give away my CPF
Travel the world and smoke those Cubans!

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

Angcheek
  • Premium member
    Angcheek
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

有眼不识 哦一哦。。。

Not first time lah, dude....
I quite hands on type.
Otherwise let PML, C&C, Stuttgart,.. Carrot........

Muayhahahaha

樹多總有枯枝,人多總有白痴

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

Othello
  • Premium member
    Othello
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

look at his nick !!!  :grin:

F355 and Raymondism praised this
"O, devil, devil! If that the Earth could teem with woman's tears, Each drop she falls would prove a crocodile. Out of my sight!" (Act IV Scene I)

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:51 PM

Bezbee
  • Premium member
    Bezbee
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Pardon me... What shd be the reasonable reaction ?

Since this is not intentional action by the driver, I also see no reason to be angry or upset le... unlike that joker who jam brake and really cause chain collision and one death

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:22 PM

Camrysfa
  • Premium member
    Camrysfa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Pardon me... What shd be the reasonable reaction ?

Since this is not intentional action by the driver, I also see no reason to be angry or upset le... unlike that joker who jam brake and really cause chain collision and one death

The question is also - did the driver take due care of the car - in terms of maintenance.

example, If a driver don't care about his tyres - and is driving with bald tyres, it is not good.

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:54 PM

_h_r_
  • _h_r_
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I drive an e90, and it is truly a problematic car. The operating temperature is ~110 degrees Celsius, and this high operating temperature causes a lot of parts to fail. Oil and coolant leaks are commonplace. Once oil and coolant are empty, engine overheats and kaput!

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: volkswagen, white, smoke, bmw and 3 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users