Sabah quake tragedy

Enye

Hypersonic

Hope for the best....

SINGAPORE: A group of students from Tanjong Katong Primary School were on an excursion at Mount Kinabalu when a 6.0-magnitude earthquake struck on Friday (Jun 5), Channel NewsAsia understands. At least eight of them are uncontactable, along with two teachers, Mr James Ho, a parent of one of the students, said. This was later confirmed by the Education Ministry.

The 12-year-old students and their teachers were understood to have departed Mount Kinabalu on Wednesday for a leadership programme and were expected to return on Monday afternoon.

Anxious parents were seen rushing into the school for a meeting with teachers on Friday afternoon. One woman said her daughter was injured and is "on the way to hospital".

Mr Ho told Channel NewsAsia that his 12-year-old daughter Rachel is one of eight students stranded at the via ferrata route on Mount Kinabalu. He said he has received no news about their well-being. "This happened in the morning and it's been more than 12 hours. And the frustrating thing is we are not getting any updates on the rescue operations," he said.

Another 19 students from the school have returned to safety, Mr Ho added, and five of them and one teacher suffered minor injuries.

Mr Sadri Farick, whose child had leg injuries after the quake, also expressed frustration at the lack of information. "I sympathise with my friends whose children are missing. We got news from one of the boys that there are boulders dropping in front of them, and they have been cut off, so we are expecting the worst but still have hope."

MOE WORKING TO CONTACT MISSING STUDENTS AND TEACHERS

In a statement, MOE confirmed that 10 people from Tanjong Katong Primary have yet to be accounted for.

"Three schools, Fuchun Secondary School, Greenridge Secondary School and Tanjong Katong Primary School, are in Mount Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia on overseas learning journey.

All students and teachers from Fuchun and Greenridge have been accounted for and arrangements have been made for them to return to Singapore.

Of the 29 students and eight teachers from Tanjong Katong Primary School, 21 students and six teachers have been accounted for. MFA and ISOS are rendering assistance for their safe return to Singapore. We are continuing efforts to contact the remaining eight students and two teachers. Parents have been informed and kept updated on the situation."

COLD NIGHT FOR THOSE STRANDED: PARKS DIRECTOR

Earlier, Sabah Parks director Jamili Nais told Channel NewsAsia over the phone that 38 Singaporeans had begun climbing Mount Kinabalu at about 2am to 3am on Friday morning before the earthquake hit.

"Up there, it is getting colder. We are in touch with the staff and in touch with some of the stranded climbers. It's getting cold but the weather is slightly better now. Three helicopters are on the way to drop food and warm clothing," Dr Jamili said. "But Im really fearful because before long, its going to be very cold and tonight therell be hypothermia, so we are working very hard at least to drop the food and warm clothing as well as camping equipment," he added.

Paramedics, doctors and ambulances are waiting at base for those rescued, he said.

In a statement, Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said majority of the more than 100 Singaporeans in Sabah at the time of the quake are safe, and that it is still working to reach those who are uncontactable. It has also despatched a Crisis Response Team to Sabah to render consular assistance.

- CNA/ly

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Hypersonic

Poor children. I pray for their safety. I'm sure they will be fine. The parents must be worried sick.

• Praise 7

Turbocharged

Now even Malaysia also have earthquake. Likely maybe our turn soon. [shocked]

Do hope everyone there can come out alright [sweatdrop]

• Praise 6

Ppl should read up how mountains are formed. LoL...

I hope the rest of the children and teachers are ok. I have been there before. The mountain can get quite cold be it night or day. It's good to hear helicopters are sending food and warm clothing.

I think should be quite ok. From the base camp or office upwards it's all staircase, shelters and water fountains except for the last 300-400meters to the peak that is quite difficult to navigate and sometimes need some climbing on the rocks but there are ropes for ppl to hold on to. And every group is compulsary to hire a local tracking guide to guide them along the way up and down.

I hope other climbers are ok too. Not just Singapore students

• Praise 8

I prayed that all 8 students and the 2 teachers can come home safely. I also prayed for all climbers to be safe and return to their home. Praying to the Goddess of Mercy.

• Praise 8

Hope everyone will be alright & stay strong till they're reached...

Just wondering how come for primary school students, though already P6 being plan to go to Mt Kinabalu? I tot this mountain is pretty challenging for ordinary folks, not to said for 12 yrs old who i'm not sure have even hike for more than 5km before in their life.

• Praise 4

My nephew was one of those students on the mountain when the quake struck. Spent the day calling the Kinabalu National Park office and my Sabahan friends to get information on the whereabouts of the group. Information was scarce. Finally this evening, managed to speak with him. He's now resting at Gleneagles KK Hospital. Kudos to the rescuers and caregivers!

• Praise 6

Any update whether everyone ok? Hope everyone can make it safely home.

The quake strike at a time popular by climbers. At the base camp everyone would wake up around 4am plus ascend to the peak for the amazing Sun rise view. That probably why some climbers still can't be contacted.

• Praise 4

Heard about this on radio while driving today

Very sad especially got fellow Singaporeans....didn't know Sabah got earthquakes

Hope rest of the group can be back to SG safe & sound

Parents of the girls must be so worried and anxious

My nephew was one of those students on the mountain when the quake struck. Spent the day calling the Kinabalu National Park office and my Sabahan friends to get information on the whereabouts of the group. Information was scarce. Finally this evening, managed to speak with him. He's now resting at Gleneagles KK Hospital. Kudos to the rescuers and caregivers!

Glad he is back safe & sound! Wish him speedy recovery & get well soon!

• Praise 4

Hypersonic

Worrying....

We are praying for the safe return of our fellow Singaporeans, the safe accounting of the 8 students and 2 teachers ....

Hopefully it's just the non functioning of the telecom lines that is delaying the communication.....

Pls get back soon ...

• Praise 8

Turbocharged

Condolences to the parents.

This is really tough and unexpected. Hard luck that this befell their kids. No one could have predicted this and hope they could accept this fate peacefully.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5