Beware of scammers

Yewheng

I got a call from this guy from my office phone checking fx rate for Westom Union. Told him this is not Weston Union. He called another two times and i gave the same reply. He called the fourth time and insisted he called the correct number. Then i told him i will gladly accept any money he wished to transfer to my own savings account. Then he hung up.

He called another two times but kept quiet. I also picked up his call and kept quiet.

Will i be in trouble if he really transfer money to my personal savings account and i keep the money? The guy wana buy $50k of USD.

There is a law that u are not supposed to keep money that doesnt belong to u so even if someone transfers in by mistake, u are obliged to return it. No go to keep it as u will be prosecuted if evidence is found that u knew of the existence of the funds and deliberately kept it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Hmm.. IP phone surely will leave some trace that it's from certain IP address that spoof the contact number right?

For a IP phone to call a landline or mobile phone, the IP phone will still need to connect to a physical landline exchange or a mobile line exchange or a Telco. The IP phones are connected through SIP servers and these SIP servers will connect the call to physical landline if the call is to a landline or mobile.

There is a law that u are not supposed to keep money that doesnt belong to u so even if someone transfers in by mistake, u are obliged to return it. No go to keep it as u will be prosecuted if evidence is found that u knew of the existence of the funds and deliberately kept it.

But i already told him his mistake. If he wana insist on transferring the money to my personal savings account, cant be my fault right? I am not a scammer hor.

I would say its a gift.

Besides getting sms and WhatsApp, i was called by these people and they even say “i know u need money so don’t paiseh to borrow”

• Praise 2

Probably the scam has already started...I received 3 calls from +65 3663 9966 since the data loss.

The other end remain silent and I hung up.

Twincharged

Probably the scam has already started...I received 3 calls from +65 3663 9966 since the data loss.

The other end remain silent and I hung up.

These irreating pest..

Twincharged

another real life encounter ...

my foreigner staff received a call from his mother last Saturday that his father required some urgent operations for his eyes and needed about $2k.

upon hearing this, he anticipated that after discharge and follow-up, might add up to $3k.

but he did not have the money ....then he remembered seeing fast loans on his FB and then he contacted the "company" called "Empire"

the guy who answered, asked for my staff's particulars and the "loan" was approved almost immediately.

then the problems came : he had to transfer the interests of $300 to the "company" first.

next he was asked to transfer a security deposit of $390.

after that they told him got to transfer yet another $700 for some other issue but my staff already no money so he told the company so and the guy told him to speak the manager. the manager said no problem and then told him to just transfer another $380 will do. so my staff went to borrow from his room mate and asked the room mate to transfer the money to the company again.

after transferring, my staff contacted the first guy again who demanded the $700 again and told him the $380 my staff transferred to the "manager" is not sufficient and he only had another 10mins to do it or else the loan will be cancelled. so my staff asked another for the help with the balance an then made the transfer again.

then the final straw came when yet again the company asked for another transfer for something again and then my staff told the company that he already transferred about $1.5k to them already but yet to receive his loan and the company threatened him saying he is wasting their time and trying to be funny.

so my staff felt not right and told them he wanted to cancel the loan and the company told him there is a cancellation fee of $300 !!

my staff just told them he got no more money and the company sent him warning messages and pics threatening him harm but my staff just ignored the message and blocked the number.

however, the company was so brazen that they actually called up my office in yesterday morning to look for my staff !!

that's when my staff finally opened up and told us what happened.

subsequently, i brought him to the police station to lodge a report.

* i may have remembered the smaller figures wrongly, but total he had transferred $1.5k to the scammers.

** knn ... spent 2.5 hours at the police station making the report some more ... 

• Praise 3

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157809775079408&id=56706929407

post-14834-0-75211200-1536819160_thumb.png

This is worrying, look at the spoofed email address as compared to real email address, they both all identical email address except maybe slight font differences.

Who the hell will notice that it is a spoofed email address in the 1st glance?

Edited by Yewheng

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157809775079408&id=56706929407

Screenshot_20180913-141151.png

This is worrying, look at the spoofed email address as compared to real email address, they both all identical email address except maybe slight font differences.

Who the hell will noticed it is a spoofed email address in the 1st glance?

Last time got spoof mcf account

post-14834-0-66176900-1536821558_thumb.jpgpost-14834-0-37293700-1536821565_thumb.jpgpost-14834-0-16092600-1536821571_thumb.jpgpost-14834-0-46885100-1536821578_thumb.jpg

New way to scam. So hopefully we could educate younger children not to anyhow give hp no to stranger in Facebook and or any social media platform. Wait skally they use the hp no to activate don't know what game or etc.

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement