Kota Bharu to Cameron Highlands-Federal route 66 vs 8

Zyklon

Driving down from Kota Bharu to Cameron.

Will route 66 or route 8 be a better option?

Route 8 seems to be a more major road that is better maintained, while route 66 (d29) seems like the more scenic road?

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
(edited)

Route 66 maintenance OK la , very little traffic , last December got a bridge swept away by floods so need to drive on temporary makeshift bridge , quite interesting. Not done route 8 before.

I suppose you would be taking route 185 Gua Musang to Cameron - that road is one of the most scenic in Malaysia , with nice long sweeping bends . [thumbsup]

Edited by F355
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Cant remember whether this is along Federal Route 66 or State route D29 , but it is still passable via a temporary makeshift bridge.

Supercharged

From the map it's obvious you should take route 8, which is more direct and is a major road from KB to GM.

I've driven before on 8 from adjoining 1744 to GM and I find this road in good condition but heavy traffic.

(edited)

In the end I went via route 66.

The bridge was a lot more scary than it looked in the photo. Very steep entrance and exit ramp. Probably no MSCP ramp in Singapore can even come close to the gradient.

18921572301_9f6ba637b8_z.jpgIMG_1027 by calvin lin, on Flickr

A section of route 66 (about 10-20km before this bridge) was closed from landslide). A temp bypass was created from the mud and gravel road. An exciting and nervous experience especially when you see the road closed and the only choice is to take the gravel and mud road or to U-turn. I was so concerned that I forgot to take photo of this temp bypass.

Edited by Zyklon
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3