SSD upgrades other PC/laptop issues interest thread

RadX

I bought Laptop with only SSD but boot up still 1min...

why ah?

Where you bought it from? Got kena con or not?

↡ Advertisement

Imo, it's not advisable to clone.

First, the size is not a perfect match. You may lose a bit of disk space.

Then the hardware and drivers may not matched up properly.

In some cases, you may still need to reinstall drivers.

Reinstalling a new OS from scratch is much cleaner and some times may be faster than the cloning.

Well, the Pro-part of scratch install is of course its cleaner.

But the Con-part is, its not just installing the OS, the applications will need to be re-installed as well, follow by any customisation.

Then the data for the apps to be restored next (that is if we assume everything in the same SSD).

Its the time involved lar.

I've clone 3 systems using a free cloning software :

1. Self-built desktop - cloning takes less than 30mins, using internal SATA2

2. Asus Netbook - this one is long as the netbook is very slow to start with, using USB2

3. Lenovo Notebook - hit into some problem during the cloning, but eventually got everything up in 2 hrs, using USB3

None of the systems had shown any problem ever since, yet (at least)...

• Praise 1

Supercharged

why ah?

What is the processor? i3, i5, i7?

Mine, i5 with SSD also needs 1min to power up and login. But mine already over 3 years.

Actually, the benefits of SSD is not so much on the speed. But the power consumption.

The battery will last longer.

Well, the Pro-part of scratch install is of course its cleaner.

But the Con-part is, its not just installing the OS, the applications will need to be re-installed as well, follow by any customisation.

Then the data for the apps to be restored next (that is if we assume everything in the same SSD).

Its the time involved lar.

I've clone 3 systems using a free cloning software :

1. Self-built desktop - cloning takes less than 30mins, using internal SATA2

2. Asus Netbook - this one is long as the netbook is very slow to start with, using USB2

3. Lenovo Notebook - hit into some problem during the cloning, but eventually got everything up in 2 hrs, using USB3

None of the systems had shown any problem ever since, yet (at least)...

Your software license.....

• Praise 1

Not sure what software license you are referring to, but as far as I can think of, its only the Windows license.

After cloning and upon first bootup, the system will detect a change of harddisk, and potentially request to re-register.

I don't remember it happening to both the branded netbook/notebook, but it did prompt me on my desktop.

Well if we re-install the OS, it will prompt us to register as well.

Rest of software, no re-prompting, and since all software are still used in the same system, it shouldn't pose any licensing issue, I hope.

Thanks guys for the cloning tips!

But hor, although its easier to do a new install, the prob is newer laptops dun give out the o/s in cd for install anymore. So left with cloning lor, right?

Where you bought it from? Got kena con or not?

I bought Lenovo one hokay the China IBM!

What is the processor? i3, i5, i7?

Mine, i5 with SSD also needs 1min to power up and login. But mine already over 3 years.

Actually, the benefits of SSD is not so much on the speed. But the power consumption.

The battery will last longer.

Yes I must say one charge can last 12 hrs!👍

You got enable ahci on your bios page?

Way so chim what is Ahci ?

My laptop only has SSD - no HDD.

You got enable ahci on your bios page?

Comes from the manufacturer, should have been done nicely liao lar.

I bought Lenovo one hokay the China IBM!

Ok ok, chill bro. hahaha

But hor, although its easier to do a new install, the prob is newer laptops dun give out the o/s in cd for install anymore. So left with cloning lor, right?

Yar lor, that's what happen to my Lenovo notebook, so got to clone.

But must be prepared for major recovery, if clone fails, and current hdd screwed up hor.

Anyway, as long as current system got no 'residual' issues, cloning shouldn't have any problem wan lar.

Turbocharged

I see the Sim Lim price list, like the SSD that use the PCI-e slot is the most ex. But last time I think OCZ made PCI-e SSDs, but now SSDs mostly use SATA. So how come PCI-e SSDs never caught on? Is it because will use up a PCI-e slot?

Since we are on this, I have no idea what those shorter slots that are between the PCI-e slots are for (I think have fewer bus, that's why shorter, right?) What cards will use those slots?

Sorry I not techie.

why ah?

Lenovo? Bloatware :D

Go uninstall useless Lenovo programs they bundled.

OR

Go task manager > Startup tab and disable those unwanted programs which you don't need to run right at startup.

(edited)

I see the Sim Lim price list, like the SSD that use the PCI-e slot is the most ex. But last time I think OCZ made PCI-e SSDs, but now SSDs mostly use SATA. So how come PCI-e SSDs never caught on? Is it because will use up a PCI-e slot?

Since we are on this, I have no idea what those shorter slots that are between the PCI-e slots are for (I think have fewer bus, that's why shorter, right?) What cards will use those slots?

Sorry I not techie.

Shorter slots go to sound/videocapture/tvtuner/wireless cards.

Edited by Holdenutessv
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Nowadays no more CD given... Have to download the iso file, burn into a CD and use it to reinstall.. just make sure you get the correct version( example: win7 home or pro version, 32 or 64bit) match to your cdkey...

Turbocharged

Shorter slots go to sound/videocapture/tvtuner/wireless cards.

Oh. I used to have a Creative soundblaster card that went to the PCI-e slot though. So maybe for the rest bah.

Sorry I not techie.

Yes you're right, as those are also PCI-e slots, but @ x1 speed.

Depending on the motherboard, there may be x4, x8 and x16 slots.

X16 are mainly for GPUs.

Turbocharged

SSD is over-rated. Apart from fast boot up there is not much advantage over HDD, and it is not cost effective. If SSD spoils the data is unrecoverable unlike HDD, and yes, SSD will spoil also.

Hypersonic

SSD is over-rated. Apart from fast boot up there is not much advantage over HDD, and it is not cost effective. If SSD spoils the data is unrecoverable unlike HDD, and yes, SSD will spoil also.

Fast boot is the main reason why I switched over. But I still have normal HDD for documents.

Nowadays no more CD given... Have to download the iso file, burn into a CD and use it to reinstall.. just make sure you get the correct version( example: win7 home or pro version, 32 or 64bit) match to your cdkey...

Hi bro

Can further elaborate on this?

Cuz I've been wanting to reformat my Asus laptop, bought year end, 2013. I did not receive any recovery disc as well.

It's using windows 8 so i can find the iso on windows website?

↡ Advertisement