SSD upgrades other PC/laptop issues interest thread

RadX

After downloading this and that to try and upgrade the BIOS, now I cannot log in liao. I think my laptop kena hacked and password was changed. How to reset password for Windows Vista.

Now what???

A simple upgrade has turned into a nightmare now. :lll._.:

hahha..haiz. Rebuild the pc.

My think Pad T series, i got fr Amazon all no issues

@jman888. your lappie, give karang guni, he will charge you for taking it

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

After downloading this and that to try and upgrade the BIOS, now I cannot log in liao. I think my laptop kena hacked and password was changed. How to reset password for Windows Vista.

Now what???

windows restore? Lenovo lappy should have a recovery drive

i wouldnt get a hybrid ssd because you'll still get that bottle neck in terms of a regular hdd. because they are 2 different portions, your hdd now has 2 different points of failure (either the ssd part or the hdd part) - i know this because i had a hybrid fail on me in the first 9-10 months of ownership. could have been just my luck but the controller between the ssd and hdd failed permanently.

would still recommend 100% ssd.

also, dont forget to run windows update people - get your windows 10 registration done.

have been using windows 10 for about 2 months now. the current build already very, very stable. and on an ssd, the thing flies!!

yup! SSd FTW. and altho the SSD cycle apparently has a life, we dun really hit that unless we running google drive as a provider...hahaha

my SSD from 2012 still working very well. Use it as an external drive..

I'm currently looking at Samsung Evo 850 256GB (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAJ412U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) to replace the 1TB HDD in my lappy.

Anyone with experience with Samsung SSDs?

one of the better ones. FAster one is the PRO. I use crucial and so far has been good

This deal not bad

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TIJMEV2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Worse come to worse... then buy a USB cable and boot from USB... does your BIOS support that?

2007 may not be able.

Not sure how big is that power adapter , I know the hp z-book power adapter is huge....

Most laptops with 15" screens and more powerful graphics card need a big adaptor.

Quite common with all gaming laptops.

Turbocharged

one of the better ones. FAster one is the PRO. I use crucial and so far has been good

This deal not bad

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TIJMEV2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I ordered the 850 EVO 500GB from amazon last week. It should arrive in the next few days

Planning to switch out the 1TB HDD in my laptop now and use the SSD as master drive. And then put the 1TB as storage in the optical drive slot

(edited)

That time my dad's PC (which was assembled by me) HDD crashed.

The mobo isn't even that old, i assembled it when D3 first came out to play D3. Gigabyte.

Ok so no biggie right. New HDD bought, thumb drive with bootable windows ready. Go there set up, WTF can't detect bootable thumb drive? After much googling, found out that the mobo can't detect bootable thumb drive (this was like long after bootable thumb drives became the norm).

I actually went to challenger, paid like $3 bucks for one DVD-R to burn myself a copy of windows 7 to install windows for that pc.

LOL.

Edited by Lala81

(edited)

Now what???

Restore/Rebuild

or

Use Hiren's BootCD to reset windows password (Lots of other way as well to recover)

Edited by Holdenutessv
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

I will need to really go and have a search of my storeroom to find it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Now trying this : http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/passrecovery.htm

why dont you just upgrade to windows 10? you can download the ISO from microsoft.

then just install onto the ssd instead of wasting time looking for windows cd key.

those who are running the technical preview should be upgraded automatically to a full windows 10 home license automatically.

edit: link here: http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-preview-users-will-get-a-1712774167

Edited by Sp4wn

why dont you just upgrade to windows 10? you can download the ISO from microsoft.

then just install onto the ssd instead of wasting time looking for windows cd key.

those who are running the technical preview should be upgraded automatically to a full windows 10 home license automatically.

edit: link here: http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-preview-users-will-get-a-1712774167

Me trying to get the current laptop to recognise the SSD first before changes to the OS. Not sure if the 2007's BIOS can read a SSD. Currently it wont.

Me trying to get the current laptop to recognise the SSD first before changes to the OS. Not sure if the 2007's BIOS can read a SSD. Currently it wont.

cannot b leh, my 2006 laptop can detect

if you have the USB-SATA. can you detect?

See if there is a bios upgrade that you can run

Turbocharged

@adrianli what sata cable u using? the existing one? can u post a pic of the cables you are using?

if you have the USB-SATA. can you detect?

See if there is a bios upgrade that you can run

USB-SATA can detect. Already clone the drive.

Was trying to find my bios upgrade so download all the crap software to find a free upgrade. But none was found.

Bios upgrade not free one. Lenovo no longer support my Y300 laptop.

@adrianli what sata cable u using? the existing one? can u post a pic of the cables you are using?

No cables used. Plug into the laptop.

(edited)

At BIOS, boot menu.

Press enter into boot device priority, can see your SSD?

If can press enter and use +/- and move it up to the 1st.

Edited by Holdenutessv
  • Praise 1

At BIOS, boot menu.

Press enter into boot device priority, can see your SSD?

If can press enter and use +/- and move it up to the 1st.

Cannot move to the first one. Only those in black then can change settings.

post-2654-0-88883300-1434810970_thumb.jpg
↡ Advertisement