Martial arts for children

Fishy

I never believe in that movie. Although it's nice to watch wing chun has its short comings. You are defending and attacking in the same move means you cannot put 100% in your speed and strength. It's suitable for females becoz of that reason, they don't have the strength and speed of men. Anyway martial arts isn't all about fighting like yip man said. It also involves philosophy(i.e. like if you can walk away w/o a fight that's a victory in its own). It's about adapting and some social skills. Not aways about fighting or about the moves.

Mr yip man tell your girl to learn some social skills too. It's better to make a friend dan to have an enemy. Dan she don't even have to learn martial arts to defend herself.

Agree, it's important to know when to fight and when to de-escalate.

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

That's what martial arts is about. They have to be conditioned to the tough training(mentally and physically) so that when they get beaten outside to them it becomes a piece of cake coz training is tougher dan that.

It's the same when you are being trained during your NS. All that tough training and humiliation. The enemy is not going to nice to you when you are captured during a conflict. They will beat you, torture you and humiliate you.

imho, too harsh for pri school kids

they should be there to enjoy and learn at same time

if teenagers then still ok

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

i thought this is call discipline? i think usually this type of coaches are those special force one punch kill secret army   [laugh]

i think i spend very little on both kids for past 13 years, $8 a month plus those grading test, the coach sponsored the test fees most of the time and he usually will buy them uniforms from Korea where he visit yearly (with name embroidered) . 

Nice old coach like grandfather to those kids, and i think he loss more money than he make from the fees   [laugh]  [laugh] . My girl is still train and help to coach small kids 2 days a week. 

whenever i fetch my daughter from tuition, there is the malay martial arts lesson 

i see those kids (pri level) jin happy and enjoying the lesson

never see any punishments 

see liao i also jin happy for them  [thumbsup]

• Praise 7

Recently my 8 year old girl has been bugging me to sign her up for martial arts classes, saying that she wants to learn to defend herself.

I have no martial arts background, so wondering if anyone has thoughts on which style is most suitable for kids? Any schools to recommend? I guess I'm after something that is practical and can be learnt by kids.

Hi bro

There are many styles in SG to look at, and it also depends on your aims.

IMHO, as a past karate instructor, and one who competed in kata, and also in kumite (full contact), the main advantages are:

Build core strength

Agility

Discipline - now this one is the controversial one. IMHO, they learn to take the hard knocks in life. In the 80s and 90s, kids were allowed to run about, fall and if something happens, they suck it up and take the meds, then carry on. The present generation of instructors have a harder time, since the parents practically want to put pillows around them.

You can't learn proper skills without cuts, bruises and even broken bones. I used to hit bamboo to split it, knuckle push up were my daily routine and you had your seniors stand on your tummy.

Your sensei will use a stick to hit you, the main reason for it is that during fights, you will get hit, imagine some black belt qualified chap screaming in pain the first time someone hits him / her!

So which style?

IMO, the main thing is how good your instructors are and how systematic is the training. Many CCs have TKD, but the instructors are pretty awful. Nice for parents who just want their kids to spend an hour or two running about and kicking around. But you won't learn anything serious and discipline is lax.

The common ones will be karate, Chinese kungfu, with it's many styles and TKD. Ninjutsu, judo and aikido aren't too practical in daily use for self protection.  

I give you a litmus test of your instructor's capability:

When he does a roundhouse kick, does his arms flail backwards for balance or does he keep his stance and hands up? 

If you are keen, bring your kid to the classes and see how the instructor conducts the class and if you can stomach the training (not your kid, who will be fine) and do you like the idea of sparring. Some classes allow you to reach black belt with little sparring. 

That won't happen in real class. I learn weapons too, and I learnt Jap in preparation to go to Japan for further training, but money and time was the main obstacle that prevented me from going further than 1st Dan. 

I trained with the young chaps who wanted to go for SEA games, KOed people and I told them if they can't take the knocks, they will embarrass the art, the club and the country at the higher levels.

When I went for NS, I found the tekan bearable because of my training, and trust me, back then Gryphon Company was notorious for it's brutality. OCS was ok too as a result. It was satisfying being able to whack the PTI during unarmed combat and he can't punish you for it :)

I made a lot of good friends and I carry on with the basic warm up even now, having retired from it years back.

Downsides, you do get some injuries if you compete seriously. Thank God, I didn't break anything, and I learn more than just how to fight, I learnt to control myself, I learnt about endurance and it has served me well in life.

PM me to talk more if you like, cheers. 

• Praise 4

Hi bro

IMHO, as a past karate instructor, and one who competed in kata, and also in kumite (full contact), the main advantages are:

Build core strength

Agility

Discipline - now this one is the controversial one. IMHO, they learn to take the hard knocks in life. In the 80s and 90s, kids were allowed to run about, fall and if something happens, they suck it up and take the meds, then carry on. The present generation of instructors have a harder time, since the parents practically want to put pillows around them.

You can't learn proper skills without cuts, bruises and even broken bones. I used to hit bamboo to split it, knuckle push up were my daily routine and you had your seniors stand on your tummy.

Your sensei will use a stick to hit you, the main reason for it is that during fights, you will get hit, imagine some black belt qualified chap screaming in pain the first time someone hits him / her!

So which style?

IMO, the main thing is how good your instructors are and how systematic is the training. Many CCs have TKD, but the instructors are pretty awful. Nice for parents who just want their kids to spend an hour or two running about and kicking around. But you won't learn anything serious and discipline is lax.

The common ones will be karate, Chinese kungfu, with it's many styles and TKD. Ninjutsu, judo and aikido aren't too practical in daily use for self protection.

When he does a roundhouse kick, does his arms flail backwards for balance or does he keep his stance and hands up?

If you are keen, bring your kid to the classes and see how the instructor conducts the class and if you can stomach the training (not your kid, who will be fine) and do you like the idea of sparring. Some classes allow you to reach black belt with little sparring.

That won't happen in real class. I learn weapons too, and I learnt Jap in preparation to go to Japan for further training, but money and time was the main obstacle that prevented me from going further than 1st Dan.

I trained with the young chaps who wanted to go for SEA games, KOed people and I told them if they can't take the knocks, they will embarrass the art, the club and the country at the higher levels.

When I went for NS, I found the tekan bearable because of my training, and trust me, back then Gryphon Company was notorious for it's brutality. OCS was ok too as a result. It was satisfying being able to whack the PTI during unarmed combat and he can't punish you for it :)

I made a lot of good friends and I carry on with the basic warm up even now, having retired from it years back.

Downsides, you do get some injuries if you compete seriously. Thank God, I didn't break anything, and I learn more than just how to fight, I learnt to control myself, I learnt about endurance and it has served me well in life.

Yup, many kids are bubble wrapped nowadays.... lol

Yup, many kids are bubble wrapped nowadays.... lol

I think it's a different world and parents are concerned, so the main question will be whether the parents allow the rough and tumble.

And there's no right or wrong.

I recall my friend used to send his kid to A&E every time his firstborn sneezes or says he has some leg pain.

By the time he reaches his third one, it was, throw some plaster at the kid, and some panadol, if it still hurt in the morning, go queue up at the polyclinic yourself :) 

Hi bro

Build core strength

Agility

So which style?

Hmm, sounds like you were from kyokyushin or shitoryu?

No sir, the smallest locally..

My club mates uses to work at Cathay... that was more than 15 years ago..

Been out of it for a long time sadly.. hopefully one day I can pass it on 

Just spray baygon, slow death. 西毒歐陽峰 teach one.

that day i spray like baygon 20-30 seconds on a cockroach before it finally succumbed.   :mellow:

I would have used a slipper but it was hiding below the cabinet so can't hit it directly.

haha i told my wife, buy a new canister, must be the baygon too long never used liao lol

that day i spray like baygon 20-30 seconds on a cockroach before it finally succumbed.   :mellow:

I would have used a slipper but it was hiding below the cabinet so can't hit it directly.

haha i told my wife, buy a new canister, must be the baygon too long never used liao lol

I must be terrible then.  I grab whatever is handy, be it newspaper, magazine and twack!  [;)]

The Baygon these days doesn't seem to be as effective as the older vintages. Can spray like forever and the bugger still carries on walking.   [sweatdrop]

I must be terrible then.  I grab whatever is handy, be it newspaper, magazine and twack!  [;)]

The Baygon these days doesn't seem to be as effective as the older vintages. Can spray like forever and the bugger still carries on walking.   [sweatdrop]

yeah i would have but it's hiding below the cabinet doors in the groove between it and the ground.

haha that day a bat flew into my house also. my wife refused to do anything to it, so i had to capture it and bring it out of the house  [dead]

yeah i would have but it's hiding below the cabinet doors in the groove between it and the ground.

haha that day a bat flew into my house also. my wife refused to do anything to it, so i had to capture it and bring it out of the house  [dead]

LMAO!! I can relate.  My wife will always tell my daughter, "This is why you need a husband in the house".   <_<

Baygon and the likes these days are either inferior or the bugs have gone through some sort of chemical warfare training...天残脚 或 如来神掌 still the best.

One time I set a cockroach trap because the old and fat fellow hide behind cabinet for many days, very smart guy. Many days he won't fall for the trap, probably a very experienced roach. In the end use baygon spray smoke him out, then give him extra isopropyl alcohol treat. Slow but sure death.

There was a time I used this...

.Vintage-MORTEIN-FLY-Insect-SPRAY-PUMP-Ol

And added a lighted candle at the end....BBQ roach :ph34r:

I was a kid  [lipsrsealed]  so don't encourage your kids to do that.    :grin:

Hi bro

Build core strength

Agility

So which style?

Thanks for sharing your views. Maybe I will check out some classes to see how the instructors conduct them.

I fully agree with you that real training must involve some degree of pain. My girl probably doesn't realize the amount of hard work and discipline she needs to put in. I'm happy to let her find out for herself.

Turbocharged

i prefer the Garfield way too. Quick and non toxic. [:p]

But i seldom have the chance to do it. Usually my cats would have already tortured it to half dead status without legs etc. I am just the cleaner to put a final end to its miserable life.