Advice needed for New Zealand road trip

Bluepica

Thanks. I'm wondering how come booking through those booking sites (who will keep a cut) is cheaper than direct at the rental companies... But if it's good, then good lor. [laugh]

I see.

OK, thanks then. Will go for the hertz direct offer per your advice.

Not too sure as well, everything goes smoothly from booking to picking up the car and returning. nothing to complain about. the rental company i used eventually was Thrifty. a pretty established rental company in oz and kiwi. 

↡ Advertisement

Hertz is about like that also...

Not my competitor....I different part of market

I dun understand economics of booking engine.

Best I can guess...Hertz give them commission 10% is standard for travel agent and they are using that commission for lower price

I kinda distrust booking engine...all too often they hide things....which is what I see in the office where I work

I kinda distrust booking engine...all too often they hide things....which is what I see in the office where I work

I can also advise a very good service, i have been using this service for about a year, and so far there are no complaints against it. In addition, support in Thailand is from this service, six months ago traveled there with his wife, and would be pleasantly surprised

• Dislike 1

Bear in mind that you may see a certain car for that price, but in the end they have the right to give you something else.. so don’t go nuts measuring the boot space

• Praise 1

Bear in mind that you may see a certain car for that price, but in the end they have the right to give you something else.. so donât go nuts measuring the boot space ð

Depends...

Some go by class some go by guaranteed model.

Generally guaranteed model more expensive

Must read fine print carefully

i used rentalcars.com for recent wellington trip. they are basically a booking site for various rental companies. the quote was much cheaper as compared if you go direct with the rental company. I booked a previa (aka estima) for about 7 days, around S$600 all in. 

BTW, when did you go to wellington?

2 questions:

1) did you get a SIM card at NZ? Changi connects is $12 per day, so that's quite ex for a 2-wk trip. I'm wondering whether there's cheaper alternative. Last time i went Perth, got Optus promotion card A$20 for 12 Gb.

Now i only heard got

- S$18 for 1.25 gb

- NZ$29 for 1 gb

- NZ$49 for 3 gb

- NZ$99 for 8 gb

2) for travel insurance, did you get any that covers car rental excess? Or did you choose any excess waiver option with the rental company?

2 questions:

1) did you get a SIM card at NZ? Changi connects is $12 per day, so that's quite ex for a 2-wk trip. I'm wondering whether there's cheaper alternative. Last time i went Perth, got Optus promotion card A$20 for 12 Gb.

Now i only heard got

- S$18 for 1.25 gb

- NZ$29 for 1 gb

- NZ$49 for 3 gb

- NZ$99 for 8 gb

2) for travel insurance, did you get any that covers car rental excess? Or did you choose any excess waiver option with the rental company?

Bro, I went June this year. I got a local sim card which give me some convenience cause we came up some hotel prior to our arrival. It helps to have a local number when getting reservation on some popular restaurants.

I bought travel insurance with AIG, I think it has some coverage for rental excess.

• Praise 2

2 questions:

Now i only heard got

- S$18 for 1.25 gb

- NZ$29 for 1 gb

- NZ$49 for 3 gb

- NZ$99 for 8 gb

For me I bought my SIM card from ishopchangi. They were having some promotion. Collection is at departure side after clearing customs. Plug and play, no need to do any set up

I got insurance that covers rental and at the same time paid for zero excess with car rental company

Kia si

• Praise 2

Those bigger rental companies, their cars r more ex most likely is because their car is newer. I rented a SUV and its mileage is like just 40km. 

• Praise 1

Going for a trip to North Island this June.

Will be landing at Wellington.

Total of 13 days. Current plan is to go at a slower pace as my parents will be travelling with my family.

Other than Glowworm caves, Rotorua, Hobbiton, are there any must-visit places in the North?

Need some advice from experienced bros here as it will be my first trip to New Zealand.

Thanks.

Hi,

How was your trip.  My family will be going to the North Island for 10 days next June.

could you share where are the places that you been to?  Observed that this thread has lots of info on South island but not the North island.

thanks

Thank you for sharing.

I read from their website that there is a daily data limit of 500MB and the Fair Usage Policy will kick in upon hitting this limit for that day.

I suppose you had been to NZ. Let's say our usage is limited to Whatsapp and reading e-mails most of the time (no watching video nor download video clips), is 500MB easily hit?

And will internet access slow down or completely not accessible till the next day when data usage limit reset to zero?

North?

Rotorua for sulphur

Cambridge for farm stay

Wellington for flying and and Auckland for sea aquarium

Glow worms

Sheep shearing

Slower pace and less traveling - great for kids.

Lots of activities

• Praise 1

Cable car from Wellington CBD up to Kelburn for a nice view of Wellington

Cuba Street Wellington for coffee, street art, buskers and the quirky

North of Wellington, Southward Car Museum for classic car lovers

Army Museum near Tongariro National Park

Lake Taupo for fishing and sky-diving. Picturesque place to stay the night.

Matamata to visit Hobbiton site where the LOR was filmed

Rangitoto Island reserve. Take ferry from Auckland CBD

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1