Advice needed - Car caught fire mins after selling off..

Winson93

hi all, need some advice here [dead]

went to car dealer, bought a 2nd hand golf, exchanged hands (signed documents, payment all settled) today morning approx 1130am. our civic sold to them as a trade in.

at about 1230pm, dealer called and say the civic caught fire while he was driving on the road OMG :a-SOS:

he took photos to show us, luckily no one injured.

on our side, we definitely didnt sell them the car cause we know got problem and going to catch fire.. but i think they feel like we cheated them . (they are a reputable company, and we have good relations before this incident). we still want to keep the good relations but not sure how we can settle this

so now the question is.... who will bear the costs of this "lemon" car? will insurance do payout for such case? will it be on our side or their company side??

thanks in advance all [dead][dead][dead]

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

wow....drama case.

I guess civic still under yr name since the dealer can come and cry foul.

but if S&P agreement signed, it belongs to the dealer liao.

weather too hot these days. An old Merc also caught fire this morning

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Murphy strike so maybe the company can claim insurance as it is their hand, you can also turn around and say the car may not be in the condition when you handed over or they may have mishandled it.

They are car company they should check if everything is okay before accepting right?

Edited by Rustyz
  • Praise 1

Haha my coolant tank also burst while in jam between the causeway.

Weather really hot!

I saw the poor chap attending to his burnt mercs

The feeling is sad until unspeakable

Think your Insurance will cover the cost of this car as I assume it will be beyond repair.

The tricky part I guess is what's going to happen to the deal ie difference in $ between your agreed sell price and what the insurance company pays. I don't really have an answer but I guess you will have to come to a compromise with the Car Dealer on this. If it's not much then maybe you can consider footing it since you still want to maintain a relationship with them.

However, if it's a lot then it could be a problem as I suspect the Car Dealer will refuse to foot it.

Good Luck!!

• Praise 6

yea.. lucky we were not driving while it caught fire. [sweatdrop]

from the photos look like the fire was near the driver side, the right side of steering wheel aircon vent totally gone

if its this type of fire, is it possible that this could have been prevented by checking for leaks/electricals all intact and in good condition?

Sell means sell liao, not your problem.

They can go claim their car insurance, which usually includes fire.

Give us 4 numbers leh. Sibei heng.

Think your Insurance will cover the cost of this car as I assume it will be beyond repair.

The tricky part I guess is what's going to happen to the deal ie difference in $ between your agreed sell price and what the insurance company pays. I don't really have an answer but I guess you will have to come to a compromise with the Car Dealer on this. If it's not much then maybe you can consider footing it since you still want to maintain a relationship with them.

However, if it's a lot then it could be a problem as I suspect the Car Dealer will refuse to foot it.

Good Luck!!

great advise, thanks! however for such case is it still covered under my insurance of is it under the company's insurance already?

Sell means sell liao, not your problem.

They can go claim their car insurance, which usually includes fire.

Give us 4 numbers leh. Sibei heng.

hahaha, 1576 can?

• Praise 1

as long as the documents are signed, legally you have no obligation to do anything.

put it in another way, do you think the dealer will help you if your newly purchased golf (touch woood) caught fire?

I think they will ask you to claim own insurance....

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

great advise, thanks! however for such case is it still covered under my insurance of is it under the company's insurance already?

hahaha, 1576 can?

敢敢买,拜三拜六礼拜!

• Praise 1

Lucky no one was injured. I had to read twice to be sure that it was a Civic that caught fire and not the golf [lipsrsealed]

Since there is no ill intent on your part, don't have to feel guilty or what. See what the insurance / dealer say lo. Maybe can reach a middle ground each party pay half. Legally you may not be obligated to, but if it helps u feel better then just pay a bit no harm

• Praise 1

Technically I believe if the car has not been transferred yet, it should be your Insurance but maybe you can call your Insurance Company to inform them what has happened and they could advise you accordingly.

Not sure on this but I thought Car Dealers have a General Insurance which covers all cars under them which they pay a fixed amount to cover value up to $x so maybe they can claim under that as well which would mean your Insurance remains unscathed but of course for them to agree to do this may mean you too may have to agree to call off the deal and lose any difference. My 2 cents and I stand corrected on this.

• Praise 6

on our side, we definitely didnt sell them the car cause we know got problem and going to catch fire.. but i think they feel like we cheated them . (they are a reputable company, and we have good relations before this incident). we still want to keep the good relations but not sure how we can settle this

I believe if it was the other way around, you'd feel like they were out to cheat you, even if they had no intention to / no knowledge / bad luck incident.

Talk to them, and see how bad the fire is, and see what the car company is asking for (see how much their insurance will cover, and what the excess is). If they're a reputable company, no harm trying to keep things cordial, in case any issues with your new vehicle *touch wood*.

(edited)

Technically I believe if the car has not been transferred yet, it should be your Insurance but maybe you can call your Insurance Company to inform them what has happened and they could advise you accordingly.

Not sure on this but I thought Car Dealers have a General Insurance which covers all cars under them which they pay a fixed amount to cover value up to $x so maybe they can claim under that as well which would mean your Insurance remains unscathed but of course for them to agree to do this may mean you too may have to agree to call off the deal and lose any difference. My 2 cents and I stand corrected on this.

not transferred but as long as S&P states the date & time - which is BEFORE the fire - nothing dealer can do except claim insurance.

I read before the T&C, and it states that the dealer will not be responsible for anything that happened AFTER the handover date and time. So should be both ways mah <_<

Edited by Othello
↡ Advertisement