Donald Trump US President: The next 4 years

Jman888

I'm sure he is. Either he was misled by his inner circle into believing that China already can ownself make everything or he didn't think the U.S. would hurt it's own companies revenue by not selling to China.

Not only chips, still got a lot of top end technology still only available from US, Europe or Japan. Many are more scarce than nuclear technology.

If I were him, and if I want to continue to beat the drums and challenge U.S., I would try to be nice to Japan, Taiwan and even Singapore, the seasoned middle man. I think it will happen. You can't make everyone your enemy and only hang out with countries that leech from you.

I think he want China to develop its own chip & OS le
  • Praise 1

How soon ? 10 years ? 20 years ? The gap is probably 20-30 years. There's no advanced technology in Alibaba. It's an e-commerce company not a high tech company.

Meanwhile, what can be done ?

I think China catching up on AI.

Alibaba, Tencent & Baidu is looking into that.

Unlike US, China lack in scientific R&D which is the basis for commercial application.

Catching up is one thing. Becoming leader is another thing. People only look at the best. Like nobody will buy a Pentium computer or 2G phone now.

That's why they make things difficult for Google, Amazon, and other foreign companies in China. If not, Baidu, Alibaba, etc. won't grow to today's mass. When Apple was not selling in China, people continue to smuggle them from Hong Kong.

China may ban Apple as revenge. Edited by Davidtch

How soon ? 10 years ? 20 years ? The gap is probably 20-30 years. There's no advanced technology in Alibaba. It's an e-commerce company not a high tech company.

How many people working in us chip companies like Intel and and are Chinese or Chinese Nationals?

Chips is only one thing. Aviation engine the C919 uses CRM engine (US/France) and their top end stealth fight plane engine cannot make it, I believe using some old Russian technology. The best engines are US, UK, ..

These things are not easily replicated by just copying. Material engineering for example.

Chips nowadays very cheem liao. You know SoC ? System on a Chip. 7nm. I think China still making 28nm, taking on the old stuff from TSMC.

You might as well say TSMC is Taiwan and Taiwan is part of China.

Then HK will be happy. And we can once again sell our old iPhones at a high price to SLS who will export them to HK. Huat ah.

What u mentioned above requires basic research which is seriously lacking in China.

If China ban Apple, maybe Apple will abandon GuaiZhou data center

i believe 20 years ago, nobody has even think of china will become today. 50 years ago, we are sending watches and bicycles to china. the gap is closing faster than you can imagine. if we still have people in Singapore thinking we are more advanced than china, then better go over to take a look yourself. 

• Praise 1

It's got nothing to do with whether China is more advanced or not. The global village is an open competition. In fact, no country can compete solely on their own. Even the U.S. needs to work with other countries. Old mentality of one great country doing everything by themselves and winning everyone else must be erased. Just look at the country that has shut its citizens out from the rest of the world. Do not let history repeat itself.

Singapore also need to relook at our own competitiveness. In terms of core technology, we have practically nothing. So should we go around beating the drums ?

i think US is going toward the old way of shutting itself out.

every thing also sanctions ,

dun sell u this and that.

dun buy from u this and that.

this type of action kill 1000 , ownself die 800.

if doing this to every 1, sooner or later ownself die first.

i believe 20 years ago, nobody has even think of china will become today. 50 years ago, we are sending watches and bicycles to china. the gap is closing faster than you can imagine. if we still have people in Singapore thinking we are more advanced than china, then better go over to take a look yourself.

I thought Singaporean is the most well travelled country?

China got the money it amassed during the communist era. With money everything can be replicated to look just as good as the original.....but will it work the same? Now they are very dependant on the traditional chipmaker and leading technology provider that is the US and its allies. US is feeling the challenge from China and China is feeling the squeeze from US. Last blow will be a full out trade war.........if it happen we as the small middleman will be in deep shite!

i think US is going toward the old way of shutting itself out.

every thing also sanctions ,

dun sell u this and that.

dun buy from u this and that.

this type of action kill 1000 , ownself die 800.

if doing this to every 1, sooner or later ownself die first.

FYI ZTE is self inflicted wound.

If anyone even got any interest and bother to try understand what is happening now, can consider reading up about the trade wars between Japan and US back in the 80's/90's.

I would recommend reading the nationalistic book "The Japan That Can Say No: Why Japan Will Be First Among Equals" written by Shintaro Ishihara and Akio Morita (Sony founder) back in 1989 at a peak of Japan's economic rise and nationalistic sentiments, before they went into depression. In this book, Ishihara calling on his countrymen to stand up against the U.S., kind of similar to China's Global Times today.

There are so many interesting similarities in the actions taken by both China and U.S. today.  The republican government back then was led by Ronald Reagan and George Bush, and now Donald Trump. 

PS: For those who still read news, and not just social media headlines, may recall Shintaro Ishihara as the extreme right-wing Tokyo governor who triggered the Diaoyu island dispute between China and Japan, by proposing to buy the islands a few years ago. 

thanks, will read up on it... 

• Praise 1

Supersonic

You are right. A lot of countries will be affected including Singapore.

Though on this specific matter, you should look into why "dun sell u this and that", it is not a trade sanction.

Consider this fairy tale:

Once upon a time, Xiao Ming Food Court say they are banning Ah Long Kopitiam from selling his Katong Laksa and Hainanese Chicken Rice in Xiao Ming Food Court because Ah Long's hawkers don't want to share their secret recipe. Xiao Ming is a caring boss, he must check the secret receipt in case his own customers are poisoned. If recipe don't share then cannot sell in his restaurant. So in the end, Xiao Ming Food Court and his hawkers make and sell their own Assam Laksa and Curry Chicken Rice. Business are thriving for these dishes and they became the #1 and #2 top selling dishes in Xiao Ming Food Court, which is 5x bigger than Ah Long Kopitiam. Ah Long protests that this is unfair because his hawkers make good dishes and customers in Xiao Ming Food Court should be allowed to taste them. But protest also no use, ban means ban.

Luckily, Ah Long's chilli crabs is not banned yet, so he can continue to sell them in Xiao Ming Food Court. However, Ah Long sells Chilli Crabs under a contract that they must not be re-sold it to Muthu's Restaurant. This is because Muthu have beaten up Ah Long's customers before.

One day, Xiao Ming Food Court's 2nd biggest tze char stall, Ah Huat Kee decides to buy Ah Long's Chilli Crabs to make their Chilli Crab Bee Hoon because it is very popular in the food court. Because Ah Huat Kee became very popular, Xiao Ming announces to the whole world that they now have the best Food Court in the world, not only can make their own Penang Laksa and Curry Chicken Rice, they can now also make their own Chilli Crab Bee Hoon without the help from anyone.

Later, it was found out that Ah Huat has not only secretly sold Chilli Crab Bee Hoon to Muthu. Ah Long says, ok fine, you promise me you will not do it again and you will pay me $100 and punish your staff who sold it to Muthu the we are quits. Ah Huat agrees to the settlement. Later, Ah Long found out Ah Huat was lying. He said he has punished the tao chew who sold it, but instead he has paid the tao chew a big bonus. Ah Long decides that it will stop selling his Chilli Crabs to Ah Huat.

Suddenly, because Ah Huat can no longer make his world famous char bee hoon without chilli crabs. His own kitchen also cannot make their own chilli crab, and their own salted egg crab were not as popular. Within 24 hours, Ah Huat shuts its doors and closed its kitchen. He later complains that Ah Long was a big bully, a despicable kopitiam because it won't sell them chilli crabs. Ah Huat also complains to Xiao Ming. Xiao Ming went out to tell every hawker that "Xiao Ming is the most open food court in the world, anyone can sell their dishes there. Ah Long is a selfish big bully. Sooner or later, Ah Long will die choking on their own chilli crabs".

Meanwhile, Ah Long's Katong Laksa and Chicken Rice still cannot be sold in Xiao Ming's Food Court, and more and more of his hawkers were banned by Xiao Ming over the years, including Ah Hwa Bak Kut Teh, Whampoa Rojak and the list goes on. Even when Ah Koon, who is popular in Ah Long's Kopitiam, wants to open a stall in Xiao Ming's Food Court to sell Mee Rebus, also must first give out their secret kaya recipe. If not, cannot open shop there.

The End.

Thanks for the effort.

If anyone even got any interest and bother to try understand what is happening now, can consider reading up about the trade wars between Japan and US back in the 80's/90's.

I would recommend reading the nationalistic book "The Japan That Can Say No: Why Japan Will Be First Among Equals" written by Shintaro Ishihara and Akio Morita (Sony founder) back in 1989 at a peak of Japan's economic rise and nationalistic sentiments, before they went into depression. In this book, Ishihara calling on his countrymen to stand up against the U.S., kind of similar to China's Global Times today.

There are so many interesting similarities in the actions taken by both China and U.S. today.  The republican government back then was led by Ronald Reagan and George Bush, and now Donald Trump. 

PS: For those who still read news, and not just social media headlines, may recall Shintaro Ishihara as the extreme right-wing Tokyo governor who triggered the Diaoyu island dispute between China and Japan, by proposing to buy the islands a few years ago. 

Hahaha how ironic.  [thumbsup]

:D

• Praise 1

Share with you a story. Maybe you hear before.

During the 2000's, there was big news about China ownself producing ownself processor by ownself local company collaborating with ownself university. The China Academy of Science got a team of "experts" verified and certified the processor to be "world class". It was said to be completely designed and manufactured in China, and the boss of this company received a lot of gahmen funding, titles and was appointed to lead many national projects. A few years later, employees of this company became suspicious of their own boss. Information leaked out by employees and a renovation company helped expose and explain how it came about. The processor was neither designed or manufactured there. The boss bought the processors from a US-company and then engage a renovation company to ownself sandpaper away the US brand and then print ownself logo onto the chip and called it ownself developed processor.

v2-b3fcfb3cb5c1e4290a8518baa9c08c2a_1200

Yesterday, I read a news about Alibaba acquiring a small chip company to develop their own processors. Then I look at the CEO of this company, the name looks familiar. You look up his name, then you can find more about the above story.

This article pop on FB feed

https://www.secretchina.com/news/b5/2018/04/23/856520.html

The article implicates old & young Jiang.

↡ Advertisement