Beware of potential scammer - pose as car buyer via pay pal

Kchew21

Supersonic

Just for FYI and sharing....gotten this message via web sms.

What they will do is either of the following:

1. As you to send the car first

2. Fake an email from paypal (or a fake PP website) trying to trick you into believing that you've received the payment

3. Dispute with paypal later - PP is known to side buyers (highly unlikely as that means he will actually have to give the money to PP)

Why not play along and update us on what happens?

• Praise 2

Didnt want to waste my time on such artists...

Just wanted to share this...hopefully no one will fall for such tactic

use Pay Pal to buy car?? where they want you to send the car to?

their appetite are getting bigger [laugh]

Actually, how does it work? It is your car. They want to buy your car. So you post, they say they want to buy, they give you the money, someone pick up the car? And the car is his? I think this is not a scam. Cause I don't see how he can scam you. He needs to be present to sign over the car. Once the car sign over, all records in LTA system. I don't think there are criminal that is so stupid.

• Dislike 1

Turbocharged

this one is even more flaky if you are not selling car at all in the first place! :a-happy:

Turbocharged

I think scam artists should be more professional and do their due diligence. This method of scam does not work in Singapore's context.

Actually, how does it work? It is your car. They want to buy your car. So you post, they say they want to buy, they give you the money, someone pick up the car? And the car is his? I think this is not a scam. Cause I don't see how he can scam you. He needs to be present to sign over the car. Once the car sign over, all records in LTA system. I don't think there are criminal that is so stupid.

This is how the scam is supposed to work :

1. Seller will received an email payment notification for the amount [eg. S$100K + S$5K]. Clicked the Paypal link [phished/fake website] to see the payment as successfully in Seller account.

2. The Buyer informed that the additional S$5K is to be paid [on Buyer behalf] to their Freight Forwarder [overseas account provided].

3. If the unsuspecting Seller transfer the S$5K to the Freight Forwarder, the Seller will say goodbye to the S$5K.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4