Otters in Singapore

Jman888

Cull pigs and chickens

Time to cull otters

==============

SINGAPORE: A trip to the Gardens by the Bay took an awful turn for a French family on Saturday (Dec 30) when an otter attacked their 5-year-old girl, leaving her with a bleeding foot.

The father of the family, Mr Julien le Tourneur D'Ison, said they had arrived at the attraction at 12.15pm and were approaching a little bridge at Satay by the Bay when they saw a “bunch of tourists really excited by a bunch of otters swimming back and forth”.

“We saw a bunch of otters swimming towards us. We were about 1 metre away and an otter jumped out and bit my daughter’s foot,” said Mr Le Tourneur.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/5-year-old-french-girl-bitten-by-otter-at-gardens-by-the-bay-9820916

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Cull pigs and chickens

Time to cull otters

==============

SINGAPORE: A trip to the Gardens by the Bay took an awful turn for a French family on Saturday (Dec 30) when an otter attacked their 5-year-old girl, leaving her with a bleeding foot.

The father of the family, Mr Julien le Tourneur D'Ison, said they had arrived at the attraction at 12.15pm and were approaching a little bridge at Satay by the Bay when they saw a âbunch of tourists really excited by a bunch of otters swimming back and forthâ.

âWe saw a bunch of otters swimming towards us. We were about 1 metre away and an otter jumped out and bit my daughterâs foot,â said Mr Le Tourneur.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/5-year-old-french-girl-bitten-by-otter-at-gardens-by-the-bay-9820916

Sounds like the otters targeted and singled them to bite ah.. see which official so stupid to believe and start the culling exercise

Cull pigs and chickens

Time to cull otters

==============

The father of the family, Mr Julien le Tourneur D'Ison, said they had arrived at the attraction at 12.15pm and were approaching a little bridge at Satay by the Bay when they saw a “bunch of tourists really excited by a bunch of otters swimming back and forth”.

“We saw a bunch of otters swimming towards us. We were about 1 metre away and an otter jumped out and bit my daughter’s foot,” said Mr Le Tourneur.

Why they stay so close to them, only 1m.

So many sign board there request visitors to stay a distance away.

The otters may look cute, but they are still animals. Adults otters may think that humans will harm their children and try to protect. Thats normal animals reaction.

Edited by Tohto

they are not regular pets like cats and dogs, parents should keep their kids away from these animals.

however, they are just like wild boar that may get bigger in population, have to control them one day.

Edited by Jman888
  • Praise 1

Where is NEA? These otters getting out of hand.

Spotted at Bedemeer area

You could say, the NEA "Otter" do something. Get it? Ought to?  :grin:

I'll see myself out.

But on a serious note it's sad to see these animals ripped off their homes.

• Praise 1

You could say, the NEA "Otter" do something. Get it? Ought to?  :grin:

I'll see myself out.

But on a serious note it's sad to see these animals ripped off their homes.

they are the new migrant leh but their population sure grow fast   [laugh]

they are the new migrant leh but their population sure grow fast   [laugh]

when they are first spotted.

ppl become super excited. waaa. so cute , so rare.

dun disturb them, cannot catch them, must protect at all cost.

or else kenna wack online jialat  jlaiat.

and they got no natural enemy, when they become over populated, i wanna see wat those animalist gonna say.

when they are first spotted.

ppl become super excited. waaa. so cute , so rare.

dun disturb them, cannot catch them, must protect at all cost.

or else kenna wack online jialat jlaiat.

and they got no natural enemy, when they become over populated, i wanna see wat those animalist gonna say.

Wild boars are also animals.

Why they cull wild boars but not otters leh?

Double standards.

• Praise 1

https://youtu.be/fYQjia3m8ho

I met a lady while running my boat in lower seletar reservoir. She wanted me to inform her if i spotted any otters there. She is an otter fan. She got my number and sent me a link to the video she created.

Actually i have spotted otters at lower seletar reservoir since 2012. These are some photos of a pair of otters i spotted last year October. Apparently this pair of otters have three pups now. The otter lady told me.

post-2654-0-45778800-1520554137_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-98407600-1520554155_thumb.jpg

The otters may look cute but they are becoming like invasive species, just like how snakeheads (toman) are in US. The so-called ottter fans are also becoming too self-righteous and over-zealous to slap blame on others.

For a matter of fact, many leisure anglers have reported to the authorities when we spot illegal netting or trapping but the enforcement response is always slow! Yet when some otters are harmed, the blame is placed on the anglers. Singapore has an incredible blame culture.

Genuine passion for the environment is beyond just conservation. It also involves population control. Using US as an example again, the catch limit for red snappers in their water is adjusted from time to time because the population has exploded so much, the red snappers wiped out all our food source for other species, causing an imbalance instead. So to put it in context, these so called otter-care groups did 50% of the job (conservation) but conveniently kept mum about the other 50% (control).

Whenever I see these "otter harmed" videos on FB, I go - ya right!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1