IRoad In-Car Camera Recorder Users

Johny_walker

thanks for taking the time to answer those questions sufficiently. I have not got to fitting one yet, haha.

?what size SD card should the shop give? 32GB, 64GB... or

and it works with android phone as well?

would it be good to ask for a manual on/off switch as well or the system already have it?

There is no on/off switch leh. My installer told me if vehicle not driving for few days, it's safer to pull out the connecting cable from the front cam, then it won't drain the batt...

but it'll mean no recording lor...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hey guys

Not too sure if anyone encountered the same thing and if so would appreciate any help.

I just boughta new car and it came with a iroad Q7 installed. Recording on the drive was okie and i can access the saved videos.

However when the minute i switch off engine, the iroad powers off too. I am hoping it can go into recording mode in parking . I have turned on impact/parking/motion modes and also set sensitivity as medium. Power wise i have turned on LBP and set power off at 11.3vols

However the minute i off my engine, the cam just powers off.

How do i work this out?

Appreciate any help. Or can i drive to iroad authorised distributor to seek help?

One more thing to add, am using android phone so is there any differemce or bug in setting?

Since your camera is new, should still be covered under warranty. No harm driving down to the authorised distributor to check if your camera is faulty.

• Praise 1

Hey guys

Not too sure if anyone encountered the same thing and if so would appreciate any help.

I just boughta new car and it came with a iroad Q7 installed. Recording on the drive was okie and i can access the saved videos.

However when the minute i switch off engine, the iroad powers off too. I am hoping it can go into recording mode in parking . I have turned on impact/parking/motion modes and also set sensitivity as medium. Power wise i have turned on LBP and set power off at 11.3vols

How do i work this out?

Appreciate any help. Or can i drive to iroad authorised distributor to seek help?

One more thing to add, am using android phone so is there any differemce or bug in setting?

Few issues here.

1) as far as i know, most if not all ADs will discourage or outright not allow parking mode recording for car cams. This is becos they will likely give warranty for 2 yr on the car batt. And the parking mode recording will drain the batt. So naturally they dun wanna end up having to replace the batts for free too often...

2) if the cam was already installed when you collected the car from the AD, it means it was arranged by the AD. Understanding #1 above, you will be able to guess that the AD would have told the installer NOT TO install the cam to be able to do parking mode recording. They will ask for it to be installed only for recording when engine is on, and no more recording when engine is off. This way, no impact on the car batt which they provide warranty for.

3) the installation for this 'normal' mode and that which allows parking mode, are different. It involves wires connection to the batt and dunno what way to connect. Simply changing the configuration using the phone will not solve the problem, as the wiring doesn't allow parking mode now.

4) you will need to go back to the installer to make the necessary change. But as stated in #2 above, the installer will likely be under the instruction of the AD, and they will likely say cannot change... You can ask your AD, of course, but high chance they will tell you cannot too, and that it will void your new car warranty (actually it's only the new batt 2 yr warranty, but they will make it sound super jialat).

5) alternatively, you can take some risk and go to any iRoad installer and pay them to help you with the change. The risk is that should the batt really be affected by the cam within the 2 yr, and you call you AD, and they checked that you've done this, then they can of course play punk and argue with you on the warranty (of the batt).

thanks for taking the time to answer those questions sufficiently. I have not got to fitting one yet, haha.

?what size SD card should the shop give? 32GB, 64GB... or

and it works with android phone as well?

would it be good to ask for a manual on/off switch as well or the system already have it?

Standard SD size given was 32GB. Its sufficient to record up to 24 hours for me though. Any incidents can be downloaded directly to my mobile. Should be able to work for Android as it is stated in the manual. The device does come with a power button. Can power off the device, no need to unplug any cable...  

• Praise 1

Mine also 12.3v

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20180712-215242_IROAD-picsay.jpg

How old is your car battery? You might want to check it with a ciggy socket volt meter. If it is persistently low means it's time to change your battery. Try to up spec your battery to the largest one that can fit your battery holder space. 

Thanks!

then maybe 12.3v is the recommended/standard setting?

mine is

post-17508-0-95901300-1531445582_thumb.jpg

My car collected end apr 17, so it's 1 yr 2.5 mth old only leh... and i never mod anything to load the batt... so koyak meh?

In any case, my TPMS got show the batt level, which fluctuates betw 12.8 and 14.2 when engine is on. 14.2 is when first on engine, later after moving, will go down to 12.8.

post-17508-0-52646300-1531445590_thumb.jpg

Then when i first cut the engine, the cam will say it's going into parking mode, and the white light in front will still blink/move.

But when i lock the car (both by pressing the door handle button, and by pressing the remote), the white light will stop already. I gathered it must mean it stops recording liao...

dunno is it the voltage will drop once the car is locked...

Is yours doing the parking mode fine? And how old is your wife's car/batt?

Hey guys

How do i work this out?

If everything is set correctly and still unable to record in parking mode, you might want to check with your car dealer or the installer. Possibility of connecting to the wrong cable...

• Praise 1

Thanks!

mine is

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20180712-193431_IROAD.jpg

My car collected end apr 17, so it's 1 yr 2.5 mth old only leh... and i never mod anything to load the batt... so koyak meh?

In any case, my TPMS got show the batt level, which fluctuates betw 12.8 and 14.2 when engine is on. 14.2 is when first on engine, later after moving, will go down to 12.8.

attachicon.gif20180713_081739.jpg

Then when i first cut the engine, the cam will say it's going into parking mode, and the white light in front will still blink/move.

But when i lock the car (both by pressing the door handle button, and by pressing the remote), the white light will stop already. I gathered it must mean it stops recording liao...

My power on is set at 12.9v and power off at 12v. My installer claimed this set up works well. So far mine is working well...

• Praise 1

Just nice...

Did you configure/install it to record for parking mode too?

If so, what is the min voltage that was configured to cut off recording so that the batt will not conk off?

My installer set the min at 12.3v, and now i realise that once i arm my car's alarm only, the parking mode recording will stop...

I have a dedicated stand-alone Voltmeter in my car.  It's accurate.

My car has Stop-Start system.  When the engine stops, I can see the voltage dropping from 14V+ all the way down to 11.5V (or so) within a minute or two.  

The engine nevertheless fires up readily even at 11.5V.

So... 12.3V is really high if you ask me.  :-p

• Praise 1

My power on is set at 12.9v and power off at 12v. My installer claimed this set up works well. So far mine is working well...

oh, so yours is off at 12v...

What about the other iRoad users who uses parking mode? Can pls share what's the min voltage level where it will cut off and stop parking mode recording?

And does anyone know what is considered the min safe voltage level that our car batts are supposed to be at?

tks...

I have a dedicated stand-alone Voltmeter in my car.  It's accurate.

My car has Stop-Start system.  When the engine stops, I can see the voltage dropping from 14V+ all the way down to 11.5V (or so) within a minute or two.  

The engine nevertheless fires up readily even at 11.5V.

So... 12.3V is really high if you ask me.  :-p

This is informative. Thanks!

I also think it might be high, but @vratenza's one also 12.3v leh... In any case, need to gather more feedback first.

Also worried that if later my batt conks, the AD will come and point finger... [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

Few issues here.

1) as far as i know, most if not all ADs will discourage or outright not allow parking mode recording for car cams. This is becos they will likely give warranty for 2 yr on the car batt. And the parking mode recording will drain the batt. So naturally they dun wanna end up having to replace the batts for free too often...

2) if the cam was already installed when you collected the car from the AD, it means it was arranged by the AD. Understanding #1 above, you will be able to guess that the AD would have told the installer NOT TO install the cam to be able to do parking mode recording. They will ask for it to be installed only for recording when engine is on, and no more recording when engine is off. This way, no impact on the car batt which they provide warranty for.

3) the installation for this 'normal' mode and that which allows parking mode, are different. It involves wires connection to the batt and dunno what way to connect. Simply changing the configuration using the phone will not solve the problem, as the wiring doesn't allow parking mode now.

4) you will need to go back to the installer to make the necessary change. But as stated in #2 above, the installer will likely be under the instruction of the AD, and they will likely say cannot change... You can ask your AD, of course, but high chance they will tell you cannot too, and that it will void your new car warranty (actually it's only the new batt 2 yr warranty, but they will make it sound super jialat).

5) alternatively, you can take some risk and go to any iRoad installer and pay them to help you with the change. The risk is that should the batt really be affected by the cam within the 2 yr, and you call you AD, and they checked that you've done this, then they can of course play punk and argue with you on the warranty (of the batt).

Thanks much for the detailed explanation. Yeah think its the connection to battery issue and am asking AD if changing it will still have the warranty covered
  • Praise 1

Thanks!

mine is

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20180712-193431_IROAD.jpg

attachicon.gif20180713_081739.jpg

My wife's car is a mini cooper with start stop. the car is coming to 2 yrs old in Sept. 

the parking mode is fine. My wife will usually be home a few hours earlier than me. the white light will be pulsing slowly whenever I come home at night and park to hers, and can see that it flashes rapidly when it detects my car in front of it while I was doing a reverse parking.

but I think it does not last through the night as by the next morning when I go to get my car, the X9 is not lighted up (which I assume means that it shut down to protect battery with the minimum voltage set)

I suspect your installer might have spliced into the wrong wire. It seem to have spliced into the wire that cuts off all current when you lock your car. By right the wire should be the one that still have constant power when you lock your car.

My wife's car is a mini cooper with start stop. the car is coming to 2 yrs old in Sept. 

the parking mode is fine. My wife will usually be home a few hours earlier than me. the white light will be pulsing slowly whenever I come home at night and park to hers, and can see that it flashes rapidly when it detects my car in front of it while I was doing a reverse parking.

but I think it does not last through the night as by the next morning when I go to get my car, the X9 is not lighted up (which I assume means that it shut down to protect battery with the minimum voltage set)

I suspect your installer might have spliced into the wrong wire. It seem to have spliced into the wire that cuts off all current when you lock your car. By right the wire should be the one that still have constant power when you lock your car.

Yes, your description is exactly what i see too. All the same... until i press to lock the car, then the light closed shop...

Oh, got chance it could be wired wrongly? I am clueless about the exact details of the technical part - dunno which wires are involved... If there's a chance that it's not my batt already weak, but is wiring wrong, then I should go back to the installer to get them to relook at it...

Thanks!

Thanks much for the detailed explanation. Yeah think its the connection to battery issue and am asking AD if changing it will still have the warranty covered

What car you driving?

For komoco, they initially insisted changing to parking mode will void warranty. Then when bringing me to the car on collection day, my SE told me say they won't void, but if really want to do, i will need to go outside to do (their installer will not do for me)...

Turbocharged

There is no on/off switch leh. My installer told me if vehicle not driving for few days, it's safer to pull out the connecting cable from the front cam, then it won't drain the batt...

but it'll mean no recording lor...

good info,

suddenly realised my car already half life....

Turbocharged

Standard SD size given was 32GB. Its sufficient to record up to 24 hours for me though. Any incidents can be downloaded directly to my mobile. Should be able to work for Android as it is stated in the manual. The device does come with a power button. Can power off the device, no need to unplug any cable...  

my type like this....

• Praise 2

After reading your post just before lunch, i went to my installer during lunch and told them my problem.

End up they told me they didn't wire it to have parking mode after lock!!! :omg:

So unpro of them. The installer had after the installation told me that if 3 days don't drive, remember to disconnect the cable to avoid draining the batt. If never installed for parking mode, then what for tell me that?

And I learnt something new, in that my cam was set up to still record after engine is cut, but that's not called parking mode (according to the installer). It will stop recording once I locked the car.

Then the installer today spent another 8-10 min to adjust the wires and testing, and now it will record after I locked the car. But only after i left, did i discover later that the recording will last maybe 5 min or so before it stops... then i'm not sure whether is it due to the batt voltage too low, triggering the shut down.

I must try to ask around on what's the normal voltage for a batt when new, and also when old till almost cannot crank the engine liao... see whether wanna be garang and lower the 12.3v cut-off a little bit [laugh]

• Praise 2

Yeah quite unprofessional. Obviously a cover up BS story for a mistake made. A simple test operation involving starting, stopping and locking the car after installation before handing over to you would have avoided all that. 

To minimise the number of times the cam recording is activated and maximise the period of "surveillance" , I will usually park the car in an area where I know will have less car or human traffic going across the front of the car. Eg. End of the no-through way carpark aisle, next to the wall, never park near a junction and especially the gantry or lobby area. 

If you ever want to try lower the cut off voltage, I suggest is better to have a jump starter kit  with your car all the time.... Just in case.

After reading your post just before lunch, i went to my installer during lunch and told them my problem.

End up they told me they didn't wire it to have parking mode after lock!!! :omg:

So unpro of them. The installer had after the installation told me that if 3 days don't drive, remember to disconnect the cable to avoid draining the batt. If never installed for parking mode, then what for tell me that?

And I learnt something new, in that my cam was set up to still record after engine is cut, but that's not called parking mode (according to the installer). It will stop recording once I locked the car.

Then the installer today spent another 8-10 min to adjust the wires and testing, and now it will record after I locked the car. But only after i left, did i discover later that the recording will last maybe 5 min or so before it stops... then i'm not sure whether is it due to the batt voltage too low, triggering the shut down.

I must try to ask around on what's the normal voltage for a batt when new, and also when old till almost cannot crank the engine liao... see whether wanna be garang and lower the 12.3v cut-off a little bit [laugh]