Better router or wifi extender

Stratovarius

(edited)

Use Powerline adaptor & put another router on the other of your house.

my friend says powerplug is not reliable for him.

Actually guys ... move on with the times, just get mesh if u can afford it.

Powerline adaptor is very old school. Lan cables still got use. 

Haha.

Get the google mesh WiFi and don’t bother with those wireless extender, etc. Tried before.

https://www.techradar.com/sg/reviews/google-wifi

The google WiFi app also very easy to use.

yup just use mesh.

It's definitely the best wireless solution for now in 80% of scenarios.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Mesh is definitely the future if you have a big house, but normal hdb flat, just get a good router with MIMO, should cover the whole flat..

(edited)

Mesh is definitely the future if you have a big house, but normal hdb flat, just get a good router with MIMO, should cover the whole flat..

It's more about positioning. If in the center of the flat. Yes can.

But if near the door or in living room, MBR signal will be weak, even with a mimo-capable router. The wireless access point needs to be in bedroom 3 ideally.

Both my flat and my BIL's flat is the same.

Edited by Lala81

It's more about positioning. If in the center of the flat. Yes can.

But if near the door or in living room, MBR signal will be weak, even with a mimo-capable router. The wireless access point needs to be in bedroom 3 ideally.

Both my flat and my BIL's flat is the same.

In my HDB, router is placed in 1 end of the unit and my bedroom on the end of the unit.

No issue with 2.4ghz signal strength.

For powerplug, my friend uses it in upper storey of double storey home.  The speed is stable le.

In my HDB, router is placed in 1 end of the unit and my bedroom on the end of the unit.

For powerplug, my friend uses it in upper storey of double storey home.  The speed is stable le.

wah 2.4ghz. haha not acceptable ...

no 5ghz no talk.

my friend doesnt like powerplug. to me, i just think not necessary most of the time unless u live in landed. Or u live in a really old place. It's like going back to the days of ADSL.

And nowadays mesh routers are easily capable of reaching multi levels with good coverage with a 2 or 3 unit setup.

• Praise 1

wah 2.4ghz. haha not acceptable ...

no 5ghz no talk.

my friend doesnt like powerplug. to me, i just think not necessary most of the time unless u live in landed. Or u live in a really old place. It's like going back to the days of ADSL.

And nowadays mesh routers are easily capable of reaching multi levels with good coverage with a 2 or 3 unit setup.

Hypersonic
(edited)

Speed from powerline is mediocre. Very lousy. I used it for a few years after I renovated my apartment with new cabling. Drop signals and low speed frequently. Gave up eventually and sold off everything on carousell

Edited by Vid

Twincharged

got a free Asus from M1 when I recon with them 3 years ago … then last year recon to SH and got a Linksys.

after about 2 months, I put the Linksys back into the box and then re-installed the good old Asus.

anyway, I am still old school … cat 7 cables for me all the way ! WIFI is only for my phones.

btw, all new BTOs will have all the rooms fixed with RJ sockets … so don't have to worry about doing it yourself already.

Asus routers are good. I also have a BNIB linksys router from SH.

got a free Asus from M1 when I recon with them 3 years ago … then last year recon to SH and got a Linksys.

after about 2 months, I put the Linksys back into the box and then re-installed the good old Asus.

anyway, I am still old school … cat 7 cables for me all the way ! WIFI is only for my phones.

btw, all new BTOs will have all the rooms fixed with RJ sockets … so don't have to worry about doing it yourself already.

For powerplug, my friend uses it in upper storey of double storey home. The speed is stable le.

I have always have problem inside the toilet. pages take ages to load. eventually switch pm my mobile data. weekend unlimited in m1.

got a free Asus from M1 when I recon with them 3 years ago ⦠then last year recon to SH and got a Linksys.

after about 2 months, I put the Linksys back into the box and then re-installed the good old Asus.

anyway, I am still old school ⦠cat 7 cables for me all the way ! WIFI is only for my phones.

btw, all new BTOs will have all the rooms fixed with RJ sockets ⦠so don't have to worry about doing it yourself already.

Used to be telephone port. Now is lan port face? Last time still have to change the socket.

Twincharged
(edited)

Used to be telephone port. Now is lan port face? Last time still have to change the socket.

post-2854-0-22396600-1561735764_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ysc3