Better router or wifi extender

Stratovarius

mean so use for peasant staying in HDB?

Plenty of use.

You get a chance to live the high life and pay more.

For me is $30 tplink use as access point

$30 is local set Hor

popular challenger have already

i use a tp-link travel router for my room. Downside is that it's slower and can't serve as a purely AP. Only wireless-N.

And it can be irritating cos the main router and it  can't hand off properly to each other. 

But it works still after almost 3 years, so will continue to use it.

i use a tp-link travel router for my room. Downside is that it's slower and can't serve as a purely AP. Only wireless-N.

And it can be irritating cos the main router and it can't hand off properly to each other.

Can lah

I don't need so much speed

Coverage is so much more impt than speed

I help my colleagues configure $30 router as AP

They happy like mad

Can lah

I don't need so much speed

Coverage is so much more impt than speed

I help my colleagues configure $30 router as AP

They happy like mad

i got an asus during black friday to be my room wifi router.

While u still need to configure it as a different name and still sometimes select it manually on my handphone. But benefit is that since it can function as an AP, i can access my NAS from the room wifi now.

Signal strength also better than my tp-link travel router obviously.

no regrets from upgrading from the tp-link travel router

Bought this to cover a minor blind spot. Works well.

Router is singtel supplied.

this is a wireless extender or what?

And it can be irritating cos the main router and it  can't hand off properly to each other. 

Funny thing is for me my TP-Link in my study gives a speed prolly twice as fast as the speed from my router in the living room.

The TP-LInk is connected to my router.

While u still need to configure it as a different name and still sometimes select it manually on my handphone. But benefit is that since it can function as an AP, i can access my NAS from the room wifi now.

Can you configure it to bridge mode? I'm using an ASUS wireless router(I bought this) as my main and an extra DLink wireless router(provided by SH) in bridge mode.

Advantage is that SSID and password can be set the same as the main router. Don't have to go to settings on devices to do any network selection plus the extended wireless coverage.

Edited by Watwheels

Can you configure it to bridging mode? I'm using an ASUS wireless router(I bought this) as my main and an extra DLink wireless router(provided by SH) as a bridge.

Advantage is that SSID and password can be set the same as the main router. Don't have to go to settings on devices to do any network selection plus the extended wireless coverage.

basically it's not that u can't set it as the same SSID and password with the asus. my travel router last time cannot set it as a bridge or wireless AP but this new one can.

I set it differently cos basically the device i'm using (mainly my S6 samsung) is a bit stupid when it comes to switching. 

So say main router AP is giving only 1 sometimes 2 bar at my MBR while my MBR AP is giving me 4-5 bars, the phone will still stupidly keep trying to access the main router.

So i manually switch at times cos it's faster and so a different SSID makes it easy for me to switch. Whereas if u share the same SSID etc, then u have to wait for the device to give up, before it switches to the MBR AP.

Some models of ASUS supports mesh, go search aimesh

like i mentioned, i think it's the receiving device (my handphone) which is not that smart. less to do with network coverage  [laugh]

Edited by Lala81

My home one all router the Wi-Fi name and password all the same one

If not troublesome lah

wah, I really behind the curve, just only went from bgn to ac. [laugh]

I am still on 200mbps :grin:

basically it's not that u can't set it as the same SSID and password with the asus. my travel router last time cannot set it as a bridge or wireless AP but this new one can.

I set it differently cos basically the device i'm using (mainly my S6 samsung) is a bit stupid when it comes to switching. 

So say main router AP is giving only 1 sometimes 2 bar at my MBR while my MBR AP is giving me 4-5 bars, the phone will still stupidly keep trying to access the main router.

So i manually switch at times cos it's faster and so a different SSID makes it easy for me to switch. Whereas if u share the same SSID etc, then u have to wait for the device to give up, before it switches to the MBR AP.

like i mentioned, i think it's the receiving device (my handphone) which is not that smart. less to do with network coverage  [laugh]

I think you may have misunderstood. Bridge mode is to actually make the 2 routers share the same wireless network. It's different from setting 2 different routers with the same SSID and password. There's a difference. When you make the two routers share the same wireless or wifi you won't have the issue you are facing now. Google bridge mode. You have to go into the router's advance settings to select the bridge mode and have to reset for it to go into bridge mode. Not just set the SSID and PW the same as your main router.

Edited by Watwheels

I think you may have misunderstood. Bridge mode is to actually make the 2 routers share the same wireless network. It's different from setting 2 different routers with the same SSID and password. There's a difference. When you make the two routers share the same wireless or wifi you won't have the issue you are facing now. Google bridge mode. You have to go into the router's advance settings to do the bridge mode. Not just set the SSID and PW same.

bridge mode is essentially making a 2nd wireless AP coming from a main router.

Yes my MBR router is currently acting as a 2nd wireless AP off my living room router 

It's all one system, i can access my NAS from the room router as well (which i couldn't before)

my old system was yes, literally 2 different routers running different wifi.

↡ Advertisement