Better router or wifi extender

Stratovarius

I assume your new asus router is connect to your main router via rj45 line?

I have Asus AC88U as the main and an el-cheapo TP-link  wireless router acting as AP in my master bedroom to solve the 1bar signal strength of the main router.

Both wireless names are different and sometimes I have to manually switch from one to another when I bring my tablet/hp in or out of the master.

i got an asus during black friday to be my room wifi router.

While u still need to configure it as a different name and still sometimes select it manually on my handphone. But benefit is that since it can function as an AP, i can access my NAS from the room wifi now.

Signal strength also better than my tp-link travel router obviously.

no regrets from upgrading from the tp-link travel router

↡ Advertisement

I assume your new asus router is connect to your main router via rj45 line?

I have Asus AC88U as the main and an el-cheapo TP-link  wireless router acting as AP in my master bedroom to solve the 1bar signal strength of the main router.

Both wireless names are different and sometimes I have to manually switch from one to another when I bring my tablet/hp in or out of the master.

yup. yeah can name the wireless AP another name also. So i name it differently so i can manually switch faster when i'm going into my MBR and i know my HP is still on the living room router.

I don't really like tp-link. my old travel router has the software to become a AP but it hangs when u set it as a AP. my father used a wireless-N TP link. up lorry after 1 year +

similarly a linksys (cisco) one also up lorry after 1 year +.

Switch to asus, tian xia tai ping (ie i don't have to help settle these problems) for a few years...

Asus routers recently introduced a new function whereby the wireless 2.4 and 5 ghz are managed autonomously by the router. You just long on to one wireless channel with one password and the router will decide if it assigns you the 2.4 or 5ghz channel according to network load and strength. Works pretty well for me.

Bought this to cover a minor blind spot. Works well.

Router is singtel supplied.

I got the same model. Did not worked too well for me. Got a tplink 850re instead.

Asus routers recently introduced a new function whereby the wireless 2.4 and 5 ghz are managed autonomously by the router. You just long on to one wireless channel with one password and the router will decide if it assigns you the 2.4 or 5ghz channel according to network load and strength. Works pretty well for me.

my living room asus has always only been on a combination one. but somehow i have to set separate ones for the wireless AP one. But i didn't really go into much detail also cos the only wireless N legacy device i have is my old laptop. 

Since i'm in the MBR or MBR toilet, just use 5ghz lor.

as long got coverage, mai hiam liao.

We all grew up in 56k modem era. I don't really mind slightly slower internet haha  [laugh]

Edited by Lala81

Asus router is best!!! Some models are meshable....did that using 3 Asus Routers ...AC 86u as main , 2x Ac 68u as nodes in my bedroom and living room...now no more blind spots.

There is rumour that Asus is developing a new firmware to allow all their old routers to become meshable.

Edited by Elepoo
  • Praise 1

netgear has good reviews as well on amazon. But they only had black fri promotion on the big ass router (haha dunno 6-8 antennas) whereas i wanted only a basic AC router for my room  [laugh]

bridge mode is essentially making a 2nd wireless AP coming from a main router.

Yes my MBR router is currently acting as a 2nd wireless AP off my living room router 

It's all one system, i can access my NAS from the room router as well (which i couldn't before)

my old system was yes, literally 2 different routers running different wifi.

I have only 1 AP which is connected to the main router. I think use diagram is easier to explain. I believe most of you have 2 AP wired to your 2 wireless routers. Mine is connected with only 1 AP and using wifi to link to the extra router.

post-18163-0-50817900-1519357458_thumb.jpg

This is bridge mode example. Only one AP wired on the left. The one on the right the router is not wired to anything. It's connected wirelessly.

I got the same model. Did not worked too well for me. Got a tplink 850re instead.

I just re-contracted recently and am using the generic Singtel router which has the auto 2.4 and 5.0 feature.

Works well for my place save for a part that is behind a wall mirror, so bought a Xiaomi WiFi extender to cover that spot. 

El Cheapo solution.  :D

I just re-contracted recently and am using the generic Singtel router which has the auto 2.4 and 5.0 feature.

Works well for my place save for a part that is behind a wall mirror, so bought a Xiaomi WiFi extender to cover that spot. 

El Cheapo solution.  :D

My xm sometimes got problem esp when streaming video. Sometimes stream halfway will stop even at full signal bars. Maybe mine's a lemon. Ya, the xm is really cheap. I got it like 14 bucks.

Edited by Stratovarius

My xm sometimes got problem esp when streaming video. Sometimes stream halfway will stop even at full signal bars. Maybe mine's a lemon. Ya, the xm is really cheap. I got it like 14 bucks.

I watched youtube and it was ok.

for some "ahem" streaming sites I noticed at night 9+ onwards will lag at times.

if you need to get another Xiaomi WiFi Extender can try Shopee. I bought mine for around $7+ during flash sale. Local seller.

• Praise 1

I got a question: can I connect an access point to another access point?

M = modem

R = router

AP1 = access point 1

AP2 = access point 2

S = network switch

———— = lan cable

Can I do this?

M——-R——-AP1——-AP2

Or do I need a network switch between the two AP and the router?

M——-R——-S————AP1

.......................|————-AP2

The ..... doesn’t mean anything. I just have to put it there to show that AP2 is connected to S

Edited by Mustank
  • Praise 2