Blackvue beware!

Jimmychan62

HI all,

Recently I had it installed but the agent kept saying it depends on how you use it.

Appreciate your advise on Blackvue Power Magic Pro whether is it useful & does it drain the battery?

Eg, is it advisable to use it for the whole day when park at office car park? How fast does it drain the battery?

Hope someone would advise.

Thank you so much!

That's the function of the magic pro. i.e. It prevent your car battery from being drained as it cuts off/shut down the BV unit when the battery voltage drop below the preset level (typically 11.8vol) or preset timing (in hours).

What all this mean is that, car battery is protected. But this also mean, parking mode recording is off.

Previously I use this set up. My observation is that it is good for about 10-12 hours of parking mode before it get shut down. My sense is that the car battery get really 'strained' as it gets drained on a daily basis. I suspect overall shelf life for the car battery could be affected. because of this also, I felt that I need to get nearer the car before the car remote control would work. Not sure if this is due to the 'weaken' battery.

For my current ride (changed car last week), I changed to using the Cellink B battery pack to power the 2 Chanel DR650. New car so much more electronics stuff, so I feel it's better not to mess with the car bat.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

thanks Lucile for clarifying.

By using Cellink B battery pack to power the 2 Chanel DR650 & magic pro, how long does the battery last? That means it will be an external source & doesn't rely on the car right?

How much is Cellink B battery?

sorry, I'm really very new to car camera

Blackvue DR650 + Cellink B + installation around S$1k.

Depends on how long you drive and how much your Cellink B gets charged. For normal weekdays I drive 30 mins to work at 9am, the BV will die after lunch. When I drive 30 mins back home at 6pm the BV dies around midnight. However when I drove more than 2 hours during the day BV will last the whole night until the next morning.

Blackvue DR650 + Cellink B + installation around S$1k.

Depends on how long you drive and how much your Cellink B gets charged. For normal weekdays I drive 30 mins to work at 9am, the BV will die after lunch. When I drive 30 mins back home at 6pm the BV dies around midnight. However when I drove more than 2 hours during the day BV will last the whole night until the next morning.

Guys! There's a new brand for the battrey in the market! Its called carecell. It takes an hour of drive to fully charge the battrey & 40mins of driving to charge it @ 90%. As compared to cellink b it takes 1.2 to 1.5 hours to fully charge. Carecell is a product from Korea too! Discharge for 2 channel camera is the same as cellink b up to 17 hours. Discharge for 1 channel camera is 30 hours. You can visit the main distributor's website at autopia.com.sg they will be in the upcoming comex show too! Good prices i heard! :)

Edited by Fizal82
  • Dislike 2

Neutral Newbie

That's the function of the magic pro. i.e. It prevent your car battery from being drained as it cuts off/shut down the BV unit when the battery voltage drop below the preset level (typically 11.8vol) or preset timing (in hours).

What all this mean is that, car battery is protected. But this also mean, parking mode recording is off.

Previously I use this set up. My observation is that it is good for about 10-12 hours of parking mode before it get shut down. My sense is that the car battery get really 'strained' as it gets drained on a daily basis. I suspect overall shelf life for the car battery could be affected. because of this also, I felt that I need to get nearer the car before the car remote control would work. Not sure if this is due to the 'weaken' battery.

For my current ride (changed car last week), I changed to using the Cellink B battery pack to power the 2 Chanel DR650. New car so much more electronics stuff, so I feel it's better not to mess with the car bat.

after getting Power Magic Pro, I hesitate to use it. Fearing that it might drain the car battery. Really regret getting it.

after getting Power Magic Pro, I hesitate to use it. Fearing that it might drain the car battery. Really regret getting it.

huh???? [confused]

that's the whole intention and design of Power Magic Pro... its to prevent draining the car battery.

or are you referring to turning on Parking Mode recording? if yes, only then does your statement make sense.

Parking Mode recording need energy/electricity right? Engine not running right? so of course it will suck juice from car battery or stand alone battery pack like Cell Link B / T Power equivalent.

Neutral Newbie

huh???? [confused]

that's the whole intention and design of Power Magic Pro... its to prevent draining the car battery.

or are you referring to turning on Parking Mode recording? if yes, only then does your statement make sense.

Parking Mode recording need energy/electricity right? Engine not running right? so of course it will suck juice from car battery or stand alone battery pack like Cell Link B / T Power equivalent.

Yah, i'm referring to the parking mode recording. How long can i leave the car in parking mode? I understand that it will cut-off when it's below certain voltage. can you still drive the car or need to top up immediately?

Thanks for being patience.

Yah, i'm referring to the parking mode recording. How long can i leave the car in parking mode? I understand that it will cut-off when it's below certain voltage. can you still drive the car or need to top up immediately?

No worries.

How long it can keep in 'Parking Mode' is dependent on the 'health/strength/capacity' of the battery (whether it is car or separate battery pack) that it is being powered by. After that, still can start car. No issue. no need to 'top up' whenever that mean. That's the whole point of the power magic. It prevent any device from running the battery flat.

For my previous set up on my old ride, my car battery can typically tahan for 10-12 hrs before it drop to 11.8 volt where the power magic pro step in to cut off.

My current set up on new ride is using Cell Link B. Can last about 17 hrs of parking mode recording before it run flat.

I have a Blackvue 650 installed with Samsung Evo 64gb Micro SD card and CellLink battery one year back. I have since had to get thr front camera unit replaced 3 times. I am on my 4th unit now and when there is extreme heat (e.g. Under the got sun) the camera will go haywire and you will not be able to see any footage. I will then have to disconnect the power supply to let the camera cool down for at least an hour before it is fine. Apparently, Blackvue has never been able to solve the heating issue since a few models back.

As for the battery, I was advised to take the CellLink. CellLink is able to last for a period of about 24 hours after one full charge. This means that you will have to drive everyday if you are using the camera when parked.

As for the Micro SD card, if u do a format every week, it should work fine.

In my opinion, this product is not made for our hot climate and they have not been able to rectify the major issue cars in Singapore are facing which is the heat issue.

I have been looking around but cannot find a better alternative that I consider worth trying yet.

On BlackVue 650 using Samsung Evo connected to CellLinkB.. so far so good.

thanks for your info.

I have a Blackvue 650 installed with Samsung Evo 64gb Micro SD card and CellLink battery one year back. I have since had to get thr front camera unit replaced 3 times. I am on my 4th unit now and when there is extreme heat (e.g. Under the got sun) the camera will go haywire and you will not be able to see any footage. I will then have to disconnect the power supply to let the camera cool down for at least an hour before it is fine. Apparently, Blackvue has never been able to solve the heating issue since a few models back.

As for the battery, I was advised to take the CellLink. CellLink is able to last for a period of about 24 hours after one full charge. This means that you will have to drive everyday if you are using the camera when parked.

In my opinion, this product is not made for our hot climate and they have not been able to rectify the major issue cars in Singapore are facing which is the heat issue.

I have been looking around but cannot find a better alternative that I consider worth trying yet.

Thanks for your info.

I have the BW550 and sometimes it konks out if I park too long under the sun too (3-4 hours), one thing I dislike is the system will just turn off unknowingly and you need to disconnect the camera and reconnect about an hour or so to get it working.

If you're open to trying out other brands I can suggest Lukas camera's, they are rated to operate up to 90 degrees compared to Bw 60/70 degrees.

huh???? [confused]

In my experience and that of a lot of other BMW drivers, Power Magic Pro doesn't do enough to protect the battery from draining in our cars. You can do a search for power magic under my name to look at the discussion of issues.

Celllink B is the only surefire solution in our cars.

In my experience and that of a lot of other BMW drivers, Power Magic Pro doesn't do enough to protect the battery from draining in our cars. You can do a search for power magic under my name to look at the discussion of issues.

Celllink B is the only surefire solution in our cars.

Must have either power magic pro or cellink b? I have neither leh. How?

• Praise 1

If you want to leave it in parking mode, better get ready a jump starter.

Those lithium-ion jump starter is good enough for saloon cars.

Don't trust those power magic to cut-off.

First, the voltage may be set too low. When the main battery goes below 12V, it is unlikely to have enough juice to turn over the engine.

2nd, your battery may be old already. As it gets older, it's capacity reduces. Meaning, electrically, it gets smaller.

So even with the same cut-off voltage that used to work previously, it may not work anymore.

Get the jump starter ready.

If you want to leave it in parking mode, better get ready a jump starter.

Those lithium-ion jump starter is good enough for saloon cars.

Don't trust those power magic to cut-off.

First, the voltage may be set too low. When the main battery goes below 12V, it is unlikely to have enough juice to turn over the engine.

2nd, your battery may be old already. As it gets older, it's capacity reduces. Meaning, electrically, it gets smaller.

So even with the same cut-off voltage that used to work previously, it may not work anymore.

Get the jump starter ready.

Oh, that doesn't sounds good. does Cellink do the trick by reserving the battery then?

↡ Advertisement