Prevailing Quata premium (PQP) of COE renewal

Kchew21

Hi:

I checked on LTa web site for possible COE renewal for car that's is registered 2006.

Based on moving average of 3 months, It shows only $17.8k....too good to be true. Ya?

Can anyone can share further on this?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi:

I checked on LTa web site for possible COE renewal for car that's is registered 2006.

Based on moving average of 3 months, It shows only $17.8k....too good to be true. Ya?

u shld b entering 2015 Jul or Aug, not 2006 la. [laugh]

• Praise 2

u shld b entering 2015 Jul or Aug, not 2006 la. [laugh]

Oh I see...I thought their system asking about the car registration month...haha

Thank you!

(edited)

Hi:

Cat A 66k and B is 75k

I also waiting... if 40k i might renew

Got 6 months to hope

Edited by Old-driver
  • Praise 3

Cat A 66k and B is 75k

I also waiting... if 40k i might renew

Got 6 months to hope

It's unlikely that PQP at 40k in 6 months. 50k still maybe.

I will renew mine if less than 50k by June next year

• Praise 2

My intention is to buy a Japanese MPV expiring in a few months time and pay Cat B PQP (5-year) i.e. around $20k++

I just checked ... the PQP for Feb 2016 is $56,436...

Worth to do it this way?

Reason becos if buy used car say < 5 year old, it is still quite $ex ... easily >> $80k for a Japanese MPV.

(have to downpayment a lot also)

And i think repair/mainteinance for old Japanese car still not too bad ... i.e. still can manage

Only thing is if I dun pay full amount, can only take personal loan (not car loan) to fund the $20k++ for PQP

Any factors I missed out to consider?

My intention is to buy a Japanese MPV expiring in a few months time and pay Cat B PQP (5-year) i.e. around $20k++

Worth to do it this way?

Reason becos if buy used car say < 5 year old, it is still quite $ex ... easily >> $80k for a Japanese MPV.

And i think repair/mainteinance for old Japanese car still not too bad ... i.e. still can manage

Only thing is if I dun pay full amount, can only take personal loan (not car loan) to fund the $20k++ for PQP

Add the cost of the PARF value to the cost of PQP.  I am guessing a Jap MPV Parf value should be at least $10-12k? If so, then you are looking at about $40k for 5 years' use, plus road tax goes up by 10% each year till 150%.  

• Praise 1

Worth to do it this way?

You have other costs to consider like insurance. Many car insurance companies might be reluctant to cover cars that are more dan 10yo as they see them as a higher risk dan cars that are less dan 10yo.Those who are willing will no doubt come at an extra premium. Coverage wise will depend on their T&C. You got to ask them what's covered and what the claims process will be like for your older car.

Other things to consider will be every year's car inspection, inspection fee. You got to maintain your car to pass inspection. Some ppl scrimp and save to skip maintenance but fail inspection tests, end up have to cough up the money to fix the car to pass inspection. I mean all these are cost factors to consider. Other dan the servicing of loan, fuel bill, servicing, misc cost, you cannot just look at car cost alone. At the end of a year you will have to come up with a lump sum to cover these costs and you got to pay them upfront.

5 years PQP many ppl will say not worth it as after 5 years end you do not have the option of renewal. It's a must deregister/scrap situation.

Worth to do it this way?

those cars expiring in a few months type not cheap

really not cheap

end up PQP + PARF + body value = 7K depreciation

I was also thinking of doing this but what held me back is that you donno the condition of the car

but if I were to buy from my colleague or relative, that one no problem

those cars expiring in a few months type not cheap

really not cheap

end up PQP + PARF + body value = 7K depreciation

I was also thinking of doing this but what held me back is that you donno the condition of the car

but if I were to buy from my colleague or relative, that one no problem

You are right.

There could have been one good option - my wish - but at the 11th hr, i decided to renew COE myself  :yeah-im-not-drunk:

I think my car should be ok. My workshop reassured me (although must take into account the conflict of interest as they sure want me to renew COE instead of buy new car). At 120k mileage, also still not a lot. The only prob is the aircon becomes not cold after taking foot off accelerator for a while...

There were a couple of inquiries, and I would have let go of it near the expiry date for maybe $1-2k above PARF, maybe less (because initially a colleague whose Wish expired 2 mth before me said received firm offer of $2k for body, but later Christopher Tan just 3 wk before my car's expiry said the highest he got was $800)...

But sorry, changed my mind eventually as can't find a replacement MPV that ticks all the boxes now, so decided to wait.

Figured it's cheaper than getting a used car with 1-3 yr left. Super ex...

• Praise 1

In similar situation of deciding on renewing COE for current car (condition still good) or getting a COE "dream" car (probably pay $2-3K above PQP, but car condition not sure).

May risk it, if there is a good COE car that workshop could verify.

Worth to do it this way?

With cat b come down in last few round to $38k, $46k, PQP should be around $50k now, for 5 yrs, let say $25k.

With parf of $10k, $35k to drive for 5 yrs, that is a good deal for now.

Many 10 years old car today is still in very good condition, easily pass vicom, no problem with insurance company as all is fighting for business under bad economy today.

Take good care of your car, last 15-20 yrs is no issue especially reliability of Japanese car.

Even with additional 10% rd tax every yr, is only additional $200-300/yr, no big deal.

Go for regular service, even new car or 5-10 yrs old also need to do the same servicing, repair & maintenance & with CEVS, car is depreciating much more than old one.

Coe will continue to down from here, we will likely see cat b in $20k-30k in next 6-12 months time due to global crashing economy with huge retrenchment & bankruptcy of country & company, be patient, then you will only need to pay $10-15k + parf to use another 5 yrs for your good condition jap car.

Edited by Saag

Twincharged

I have also decided to renew COE. Cuz at the moment, that is the most economical option cuz I know the condition of my car and it gives me the lowest depreciation.

If you are thinking of taking this road of renewing coe, my advice is to buy the car from someone you know. It would be better if the car has about 6 mth remaining period just so you can drive around and assess the condition before deciding to pay PQP.

Basic wear n tear parts to replace is common. Importantly is the chassis and main frame still original (aka no major accident).

↡ Advertisement