Adv needed: new brake pad cause rim to heat up more.

Spawnstar

Just replaced my rear brake pad and noticed that it "bite" more and car is more reluctant to move .
E.g have to step on accelerator before the car will move while previously it will slowly move ... Likewise it will slow down faster than previous.

Also the brake disc , rim and tyre are now much hotter compare to the front .

I know that it will take a while before the brake pad is "seasoned" but should I be concerned as the high temperature may affect the brake hose etc....

Is this normal or I should go back to see if something can be done.

↡ Advertisement

Best is to go back to the workshop who changed your rear brakes and have them checked again.

• Praise 1

It's normal when it's newly changed.. Brake pads need to season to the disc grooves.. Monitor for couple of weeks. You may also hear some screeching sound when braking. When the additional "bite" feeling is over, it means it's seasoned.

May drop by the place again but not expecting much out of them . Went to them as they are near my house and the car only have 8 months to go and I might change car earlier than expected.

I just can't stand the screeching sound and since changing pad is not too expensive else I would had leave with it .

Just worried about over heating if I travel long distance and later get featured in Stomp.

Any workshop to recommend in Yew Tee Ind area if I need 2nd opinion.

May drop by the place again but not expecting much out of them . Went to them as they are near my house and the car only have 8 months to go and I might change car earlier than expected.

I just can't stand the screeching sound and since changing pad is not too expensive else I would had leave with it .

Just worried about over heating if I travel long distance and later get featured in Stomp.

Any workshop to recommend in Yew Tee Ind area if I need 2nd opinion.

Eng hup auto.. accepts only cash Btw..

Quick update. The inexperience/lazy mech did not grind off a protruding back part of the brake pad.

After checking by other mech , he do the grinding and all is well now.

Supersonic
(edited)

It seems you may not have the exact correct part for the brake pads.

Some pads come with little protrusion to either fit into certain slots or make noise when the pad wears down.

But in any case, after changing pads, the first thing the mech should do is manually turn the wheels with the brakes off. If it's stuck, refuse to move smoothly or make noise, then something is not done correctly.

My fren went to a JB ws and after changing pads, the rear was making noise during braking. Went back and the shop boss says his mech overtighened the parking brake.

Edited by Kb27

Partially my fault , did not go to stockist to buy and get it done at workshop. All I did was to call a few stockist to check on market price for the pad.

Went to a place near my home which can supply and replace the pad , guess the mech I gotten is inexperience and lazy . He was " educated" today by the person who had to clean up his shit ....

Supercharged

Quick update. The inexperience/lazy mech did not grind off a protruding back part of the brake pad.

The other mech who grind away the pin on the back of the pads is no better.

The pin is there to fit in a groove on the caliper piston face so that the piston won't rotate when the parking brake (hand brake) is applied. Otherwise the self adjusting mechanism of the parking brake (hand brake) won't work properly.

I saw many local mechs grind away this pin when installing new rear brake pads. Either they don't understand the purpose of this pin or they don't bother to rotate the piston to align it properly.

58237-2004-vdp-brake-pads-front-rotor-ch

never hear before need to grind off any pin at the back of pad.

seriously that pad is not meant for your model in the very first place. Please name the workshop for the sake of all here.

Rear disc brake piston cannot be push back to home position with a spreader like the front disc brake unit. The only way to get it back is to turn it with a special tool and adaptor so that the replacement pad can be placed into position with sufficient running clearance.

post-272-0-38685800-1440850118_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement