Advice needed: Parking in Condo

Extremme

Hi,

I wil like to seek advice or if anyone has encountered this issue.

I parked my car in my condo basement parking and unknowingly the pipe above my car leaked (Who would expect the pipe would leak and who would check) and now there are now stains (covers almost the entire ceiling - exterior) which cannot be washed away. I wrote to my management agent and they said they are not liable and that owners are to park their car at their own risk. ??!!

I mean if they have indicated that there is a leakage and I still park there then I admit its my fault but the fact is that when I parked there, it was perfectly fine.

Advise is appreciated. Thks.

↡ Advertisement

Actually all condos have some form of insurance to cover 3rd party liability risk, so for the MA to brush you off without any consideration does seem harsh.

Maybe you shld email your Managing Agent that you would like to claim against the MCST insurance & have their insurer do an assessment, instead of just hearing from the MA

Who knows the pipe leak could be a result of poor maintenance ? or if your condo still new (even if after DLP), it could be improper installation ?

No harm trying I suppose.

The "Park at your Own Risk" clause is basically cover ass. If car got broken into or acts of God - then fair enuf. Now its caused by the condo's leaking pipe which I thought deserve some consideration.

Edited by oceanicmanta
  • Praise 2

Bro, I know what u mean and feel, my condo car park same, I seldom drive my 2nd car , park and got leakage from top,don't know it's what also, kana stain and can't even polish off by DIY. I just leave it. Like many bros said, LAN LAN suck thump it's truth. We stay condo must got title, sign a package and polish off if it's really bothers you.

The parking place I like to use in my newish HDB has pipes overhead.

My car bonnet got many drops of a black gooey liquid and also on the concrete floor just in front of car bonnet.

I've investigated as best I can but just can't see the black gooey stuff coming from any of the pipes.

I informed the Town Council and a guy came and looked but just like me he couldn't see any dripping.

Although I still use the same car parking place I park so that I'm out of range of the drips which still show up now and again on the concrete.

Very strange.

Negotiate nicely & firmly with ur MC see can reach some kind of solution bo.

That's what i will try first. If they Kuai Lan or Bo Hiu then u have 2 choices:

1) Access damage for respray - ($500 should be sufficient)

2) Appoint lawyer sue your MC - (Might cost in the thousands)

So, end of the day could boils down to being pragmatic or ego saving.

Sorry to hear about ur woes.

Rgds

Try not to use the word "claim", prefer to use "enquire whether reimbursement is possible".

Several years ago, I reversed park at shopping mall and their fire-fighting piping broke the rear light housing. I explained that the piping "intruded" into the parking lot, painted grey matching parking surface, suggested to relocate the piping and repaint red, enquired whether reimbursement is possible. Fortunately, the mall responded and requested me to check the repair costs for them to make a decision. Less than S$500, told to submit original repair receipt for them to reimburse.

Lucky for my case, the mall did not use the "Park at own risks" clause on me. And the repair costs was not too high.

• Praise 2

Try not to use the word "claim", prefer to use "enquire whether reimbursement is possible".

Several years ago, I reversed park at shopping mall and their fire-fighting piping broke the rear light housing. I explained that the piping "intruded" into the parking lot, painted grey matching parking surface, suggested to relocate the piping and repaint red, enquired whether reimbursement is possible. Fortunately, the mall responded and requested me to check the repair costs for them to make a decision. Less than S$500, told to submit original repair receipt for them to reimburse.

Lucky for my case, the mall did not use the "Park at own risks" clause on me. And the repair costs was not too high.

It seems like goodwill on their part. Carparks all have a "park at own risks" clause, plus you reversed into the pipe yourself. Lucky you!

• Praise 1

yes,

use nice word

speak politely and no aggresive manner

be naive

as long as can achieve your "objective"

deep down you can ~!@#$%&*

learn from the best .... it's a honest mistake ... move on

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

Almost every place puts this "At own risk" signage. It's put up for the precise reason that most people are cowed into not taking any legal action when things go wrong. But such signs generally do not affect your legal right to start a civil suit.

Tl;dr: if you think it's worth it, sue their asses.

• Praise 1

It seems like goodwill on their part. Carparks all have a "park at own risks" clause, plus you reversed into the pipe yourself. Lucky you!

It was definitely goodwill from the mall. A lot of times the words "may I ......" soften the situation.
↡ Advertisement