Focal old and new set up with video playback @ diff shops

Hachi28

I have bought 2 Focal amplifiers FP4.75 & FP1.800, and a 13" Focal subwoofer ten years ago.

Due to COE law, I am force to get rid of my nicely maintained car and got to transfer these audio component to my new ride.

These Focal amplifiers were much sought after during ten years ago.

After a decade, I am surprise they still sound decent.

The unfortunate thing is that my new car uses a different speakers size of 4" while my previous car uses 6.5" speakers, so I ended up buying a new pair of speakers for my front doors. I was offered to choose either Focal plug n play or K2 Power. The verdict is clear as there isn't much difference in price and so I decided on K2 Power.

I had car audio installation from a small shop(have many trophies) with frequent customers at cheaper price, but this time I went to a slightly reputable bigger audio shop(also have many trophies) with more expensive cars at their workshop and charge a higher price. Total items & installation price can be difference of more than $100++. So, did I pay more for better tuning advise, workmanship, service? A sensitive topic with an easy answer.

Tuning advise is depend on how newbie the customer is. To a newbie, whatever shit the installer says, the customer will agree as he/she has already parted few thousands dollar to buy happiness. To a customer to who has been burned his/her pocket with ICE before, the installer with discuss and give options on sound tuning, which is a rather accessible knowledge from internet these days. In fact, most customers ended readjusting their bass level after the installer knowledgeable tuning.

As for service, most shops are customer service oriented these days.

In car audio competition, judges not only focus on sound but also weight in heavily on presentation and installation. So if you think a good workmanship is worth the extra on your expensive car, then you should pay the difference.

Edited by Lightsabre
↡ Advertisement

I have bought 2 Focal amplifiers FP4.75 & FP1.800, and a 13" Focal subwoofer ten years ago.

Due to COE law, I am force to get rid of my nicely maintained car and got to transfer these audio component to my new ride.

These Focal amplifiers were much sought after during ten years ago.

After a decade, I am surprise they still sound decent.

The unfortunate thing is that my new car uses a different speakers size of 4" while my previous car uses 6.5" speakers, so I ended up buying a new pair of speakers for my front doors. I was offered to choose either Focal plug n play or K2 Power. The verdict is clear as there isn't much difference in price and so I decided on K2 Power.

I had car audio installation from a small shop(have many trophies) with frequent customers at cheaper price, but this time I went to a slightly reputable bigger audio shop(also have many trophies) with more expensive cars at their workshop and charge a higher price. Total items & installation price can be difference of more than $100++. So, did I pay more for better tuning advise, workmanship, service? A sensitive topic with an easy answer.

Tuning advise is depend on how newbie the customer is. To a newbie, whatever shit the installer says, the customer will agree as he/she has already parted few thousands dollar to buy happiness. To a customer to who has been burned his/her pocket with ICE before, the installer with discuss and give options on sound tuning, which is a rather accessible knowledge from internet these days. In fact, most customers ended readjusting their bass level after the installer knowledgeable tuning.

As for service, most shops are customer service oriented these days.

In car audio competition, judges not only focus on sound but also weight in heavily on presentation and installation. So if you think a good workmanship is worth the extra on your expensive car, then you should pay the difference.

I also using focal amps. 4.75 plus monoblock.

But I suspect something is not right or my set-up not tuned properly. (or my speakers kaput).

Possible you can PM me (or post here if you feel ok) any recommendations of a good audio shop for tuning?

I know most shops if you don't buy hardware, they wont really be interested..

Thanks.

Hi, I believe you can pop in and ask for tune up. Most of the well known shops will say that your system is lacking something to improve the sound- which can be a valid answer.

First of all, unless you have an amplifier for your front speakers & mid bass speakers, amplifier for your subwoofer and a processor for the whole set up, plus sound proofing. Or else the shop would suggest you adding one of the missing items as mentioned.

And if you still find it not satisfying, the shop will probably ask you to change head unit.

But if you have all the above and still find it not to your liking, that means you need to upgrade your car speakers.

Hope it helps.

To add on for this topic on different shop price for installation, I have no regrets paying more on the reputable shops on workmanship because I have a clean installation workmanship as compared on my previous car with a cheaper popular shop whereby they cut open my carpet to lay wires; it is a horrible sight to see your Mercedes get cut up this way. I didn't notice it until I remove the floor mat to vacuum my car.

Thanks for sharing! Am new to ICE - I just bought the K2 100 to swap out my stock speakers, and now looking for an installer. Any to recommend and approx pricing to install the front components?  

No idea on that because it depends if your original speaker size at door panel if it is 4" like Focal. And also does your car comes with tweeter bracket. Whatever it is, just take note you bring to a reputable shop to install your Focal.... because there are many fake entry level focal speakers (not sure about K2).

No idea on that because it depends if your original speaker size at door panel if it is 4" like Focal. And also does your car comes with tweeter bracket. Whatever it is, just take note you bring to a reputable shop to install your Focal.... because there are many fake entry level focal speakers (not sure about K2).

Yes and yes. I asked 2 installers but they declined to do the job as it's not a on a jap car)... Agree with Bro Ake109 - if you dont buy speakers from the shop, they may not be keen to do for you...