Tiger Mom Amy Chua sets up enrichment centre in Singapore!

Mason016

Yale law professor and author Amy Chua, better known as the iron-fisted Asian-American Tiger Mom, is exporting her parenting style to Singapore, with the launch of an after-school enrichment center in the tuition-crazy city-state.

The Keys Academy, which focuses both academics as well as soft skills such as creativity and leadership, aims to groom secondary-school students for university and "jobs of the future," with classes in robot-building and computer-coding as well as externships with global corporations and college admissions programs.

"It's the best of both worlds," 52-year old Chua, who is one of four advisers to the center, told CNBC on Thursday. "I like that Keys Academy preserves the hard core 'you need to know the basics, and there's no way around that hard work.' But, [it equally focuses on] personal communication skills, how can you be interesting and dynamic, because that's really what it takes now."

Click for full article. https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/queen-tiger-moms-takes-singapore-043201601.html

↡ Advertisement

2 decades later, robot building and coding will still be unique in those kids' future meh?

u mean sg not stress enuf? need tiger mama here?

I foresee Buangkok hotel gonna open an extension wing soon....

and the morgue gonna have to go underground as well to cater for SPACE with potential 'unnatural deaths'

dun worry......bet there'll still be a long Q of sadistic parents who want to code their kids into robots.

• Praise 1

2 decades later, robot building and coding will still be unique in those kids' future meh?

i think learning some coding will be helpful in understanding logic and problem solving skills.

Sort of like how engineers can solve problems.

I outsource to my wife, she's a computer engine graduate.

But if my kids have no interest, i won't force them.

why build robots, when u can just have lego?

Turbocharged

i think learning some coding will be helpful in understanding logic and problem solving skills.

Sort of like how engineers can solve problems.

I outsource to my wife, she's a computer engine graduate.

But if my kids have no interest, i won't force them.

why build robots, when u can just have lego?

Agree on the problem solving part. But the way they are portraying it as if coding and robot building are the panacea for the kid's future.

It's like how IT and Comp Science were the glamour thing early 2000 and parents were signing up their kids for anything IT.

A decade or so later (give and take), with hindsight, we all know how that turned out: Chennai-gi Business Park.

Agree on the problem solving part. But the way they are portraying it as if coding and robot building are the panacea for the kid's future.

It's like how IT and Comp Science were the glamour thing early 2000 and parents were signing up their kids for anything IT.

A decade or so later (give and take), with hindsight, we all know how that turned out: Chennai-gi Business Park.

yeah it's focusing on the methods rather than the aim.

I agree we can't know what's going on in 20 years time,.

I think understanding multi-disciplinary approaches will be more successful.

For eg, this case, someone who knows coding but can also build/market his own app to be an entrepreneur.

Turbocharged

yeah it's focusing on the methods rather than the aim.

I agree we can't know what's going on in 20 years time,.

I think understanding multi-disciplinary approaches will be more successful.

For eg, this case, someone who knows coding but can also build/market his own app to be an entrepreneur.

True that!

Karlie 'Giraffe' Kloss is also taking coding class, so it must be good right.

On a serious note, as an engineer, I think robot building & some basic coding is good for the mind.

Coding is all about logic (if you take away the syntax), no opinions, or subjective, you are either right when teh logic is correct, or wrong. When wrong, there is systematic ways to solve the issues.

Countries like germany is strong in Engineering as a lot of hands focus in school & real life. So I think robotic is a good hands on way to learn.

u mean sg not stress enuf? need tiger mama here?

I foresee Buangkok hotel gonna open an extension wing soon....

and the morgue gonna have to go underground as well to cater for SPACE with potential 'unnatural deaths'

You are right. Already we are seeing more and more siao lang walking around, as evidenced by the jurong mcdonald's case...

whatever..... [sleeping]

at the end of the day, its the parent's choice whether to sent their kids to suffer and lose their 童真。

my philo is simple for my kids. All i want is for them to be happy in whatever they do and that i am always there to advise and encourage them

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1