New Renault Megane - very 3 series

Sdf4786k

Bro.. i did Amazing Glaze. Stayed with them on several cars already over many years. $ charged progressively increased. Service consistent & careful. Also.. me a creature of habit! LOL.

You might want to check out other "new technology" alternatives..

Thanks for the info bro.  [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

Not petrol. Diesel. 1.5 Privilage

I'm so tempted to get the sedan diesel but I'm seriously worried government will add taxes or whatever they call it every yr since they are talking about VES / pollution etc... wonder if they will take the chance to add this and that ... if so how to afford....

I'm so tempted to get the sedan diesel but I'm seriously worried government will add taxes or whatever they call it every yr since they are talking about VES / pollution etc... wonder if they will take the chance to add this and that ... if so how to afford....

There is sedan petrol
  • Praise 1

No diff..

with "green" vision, all govt dept n stats boards will push to meet kpi's.

So it will increasingly be more difficult & expensive to own/drive private transport.. all fossil fuel types petrol or diesel, there will be "reasons". Maybe electrics less so as they are currently looked at in favour.

Just how they force changes and whether they consider "playing out" current owners/drivers in the process.

Just my view..

I don't think diesel passenger cars will be singled out in the future. My sense is the government's plan is to slowly kill diesel vehicles over a period of several years. With the new VES from next year on diesel passenger cars will already be a lot less attractive than petrol cars as they will be more expensive. So market forces will naturally kill diesel passenger cars over the next 10 years. 

I also think the shift towards taxation by usage has begun. Just look at the tax increase for diesel fuel this year. They increase tax per litre, but also reduced diesel road tax so for the average user cost was the same. Only if you drove more then you pay more. But the signal sent is clear.

I don't think diesel passenger cars will be singled out in the future. My sense is the government's plan is to slowly kill diesel vehicles over a period of several years. With the new VES from next year on diesel passenger cars will already be a lot less attractive than petrol cars as they will be more expensive. So market forces will naturally kill diesel passenger cars over the next 10 years.

I also think the shift towards taxation by usage has begun. Just look at the tax increase for diesel fuel this year. They increase tax per litre, but also reduced diesel road tax so for the average user cost was the same. Only if you drove more then you pay more. But the signal sent is clear.

Yeah it looks like that too... but it may backfire as it did with the commercial vehicle when they imposed the Euro 4 standard and everyone scrambled to get viable models which the Japanese didn't have, and the European models were too expensive... and so most renewed COE and we're stuck with very polluting Euro 2 diesel engines that are more than 10 years old, many close to 20 years old...

I'm afraid of a repeat of that for passenger cars... cos diesel is really very cost effective... and it's unlikely that the tax will be exorbitant since businesses rely on diesel powered transport... otherwise will kill all the SMEs...

Yeah it looks like that too... but it may backfire as it did with the commercial vehicle when they imposed the Euro 4 standard and everyone scrambled to get viable models which the Japanese didn't have, and the European models were too expensive... and so most renewed COE and we're stuck with very polluting Euro 2 diesel engines that are more than 10 years old, many close to 20 years old...

I'm afraid of a repeat of that for passenger cars... cos diesel is really very cost effective... and it's unlikely that the tax will be exorbitant since businesses rely on diesel powered transport... otherwise will kill all the SMEs...

Yeah it's definitely more complicated if you think about diesel commercial vehicles. I think that's a separate issue. Certainly far fewer non-diesel options there so the gov't will have to think carefully about what to do there. For that reason I also don't think there will be anything dramatic done to the diesel fuel tax as this will affect business bottomlines. 

But for our diesel passenger vehicles, I don't think anything else will be done. The nudge to move away from them has already begun - higher VES and higher diesel fuel tax. Signal is clear. I don't even think car dealers will be bringing in many diesel options from next year on. Especially if European car companies aren't going to be manufacturing new diesels because of gov't regulations there. So just let diesel cars die naturally ....

As you point out the possibility of owners renewing after 10 years is there, but I think in the larger scheme of things, diesel passenger cars are also still a small minority of the overall passenger vehicle population. Nothing on the scale of commercial vehicles which caused that mass COE renewal. So it may be better for the gov't to just let market forces reduce the population over maybe 10+ years rather than intervene too directly. I suspect they're more interested in the overall big picture than the diesel passenger vehicle population specifically. As long as it doesn't grow (which I'm sure it won't) the gov't should be happy with that. 

• Praise 1

Yeah it's definitely more complicated if you think about diesel commercial vehicles. I think that's a separate issue. Certainly far fewer non-diesel options there so the gov't will have to think carefully about what to do there. For that reason I also don't think there will be anything dramatic done to the diesel fuel tax as this will affect business bottomlines.

But for our diesel passenger vehicles, I don't think anything else will be done. The nudge to move away from them has already begun - higher VES and higher diesel fuel tax. Signal is clear. I don't even think car dealers will be bringing in many diesel options from next year on. Especially if European car companies aren't going to be manufacturing new diesels because of gov't regulations there. So just let diesel cars die naturally ....

As you point out the possibility of owners renewing after 10 years is there, but I think in the larger scheme of things, diesel passenger cars are also still a small minority of the overall passenger vehicle population. Nothing on the scale of commercial vehicles which caused that mass COE renewal. So it may be better for the gov't to just let market forces reduce the population over maybe 10+ years rather than intervene too directly. I suspect they're more interested in the overall big picture than the diesel passenger vehicle population specifically. As long as it doesn't grow (which I'm sure it won't) the gov't should be happy with that.

Actually I would be one of those to renew my diesel car if there were no punitive measures down the road other than higher road tax... but looking at my Dad's Renault Fluence, the car is good but the build quality leaves much to be desired... I wonder if it will still be in good condition internally after 10 years... already there are a lot of creaks and rattles 2 years in...

Actually I would be one of those to renew my diesel car if there were no punitive measures down the road other than higher road tax... but looking at my Dad's Renault Fluence, the car is good but the build quality leaves much to be desired... I wonder if it will still be in good condition internally after 10 years... already there are a lot of creaks and rattles 2 years in...

With the rebate level after 10 years only $2500 i'd be inclined to renew my Renault diesel if my needs are still the same and the car is mechanically sound.

But having been at the 10 year mark once, it's hard to say. I was dead set on renewing my little Peugeot 107. All the way into the 9th year. Then there was a series of small but irritating problems which had to be fixed, and unfortunately, only AutoFrance could fix it. And my backside became itchy (started after I was wandering around the Peugeot showroom waiting for the workshop to be done with my car haha), and I ended up buying a Renault.

Just felt couldn't be sure if the car could tahan another 5 years. Of course I'd driven it 170K km by then, and the 107 is an entry-level car so maybe that's too much to expect.

In general I feel most wouldn't have the guts to renew a small conti player like Renault. If not fear of expensive parts, then fear of unavailability of parts. Esp. if diesel cars will become increasingly rare. Less concerned about the diesel engine parts because commercial vehicles use the Renault-NIssan engine, but more model specific non-engine parts like aircon, cooling, brakes etc. That may be hard to find, or must wait for them.

But as they say, who knows man. Hard to say now 10 years from the event. So much can change by then!

• Praise 1

With the rebate level after 10 years only $2500 i'd be inclined to renew my Renault diesel if my needs are still the same and the car is mechanically sound.

But having been at the 10 year mark once, it's hard to say. I was dead set on renewing my little Peugeot 107. All the way into the 9th year. Then there was a series of small but irritating problems which had to be fixed, and unfortunately, only AutoFrance could fix it. And my backside became itchy (started after I was wandering around the Peugeot showroom waiting for the workshop to be done with my car haha), and I ended up buying a Renault.

Just felt couldn't be sure if the car could tahan another 5 years. Of course I'd driven it 170K km by then, and the 107 is an entry-level car so maybe that's too much to expect.

In general I feel most wouldn't have the guts to renew a small conti player like Renault. If not fear of expensive parts, then fear of unavailability of parts. Esp. if diesel cars will become increasingly rare. Less concerned about the diesel engine parts because commercial vehicles use the Renault-NIssan engine, but more model specific non-engine parts like aircon, cooling, brakes etc. That may be hard to find, or must wait for them.

But as they say, who knows man. Hard to say now 10 years from the event. So much can change by then!

If you noticed other country, dont know why they dont change car often. They can drive a 20-30yrs older bmw honda toyota etc, altho their car is so much more affordable than us and i believe they earn decent amt of money too.

As long as we maintain the car well, i believe is possible to go 10-20yrs. Jus need keep some spare parts in case we need it/ or we know we gonna need it

Edited by Dannnn

If you noticed other country, dont know why they dont change car often. They can drive a 20-30yrs older bmw honda toyota etc, altho their car is so much more affordable than us and i believe they earn decent amt of money too.

As long as we maintain the car well, i believe is possible to go 10-20yrs. Jus need keep some spare parts in case we need it/ or we know we gonna need it

Good point. most cars, especially Japanese are built to last more than ten years with regular maintenance. In this country, it's been made so difficult to own one beyond ten years. Car ownership here is largely meant for the govt to derive taxes,and derive taxes only. If the G didnt force us to pay a second round of Coe at ten years, there'd be so many more of such cars. This way, they can tax you for eternity for the same product you've purchased.

They don't keep cars that are unreliable... those models that are kept are the reliable ones... in addition, many in the West accept a certain level of unreliability as part of the cost of maintaining an old car...

Well you were keeping a Peugeot... not the best example of reliability in the motoring world... in addition, I must say that if you want to keep it beyond 10 years, you have to change many major parts that have become worn... most people spend around $10,000 refurbishing the car so that it can last another 10 years... 

Renault isn't a small brand... they do sell a significant number of cars annually... and the Renault-Nissan alliance (born of Nissan's bankruptcy) has injected Renaults with the same level of reliability as Nissan... I have quite a bit of confidence in the reliability of Renault vis-a-vis Citroen and Peugeot... it's just that their build quality for the Fluence leaves much to be desired...

Renault is reliable ?  Tell that to the owners of Renault cars that have disappeared over the years.  Lol.  From my own experience and of other Renault car forumers, Renault meant every weekend meet at workshop.  Even things like key chamber also can spoil.  Their infamous wheel bearing problem need to repair every few months and timing belt failures resulting in overhauling was common.

Edited by Ingenius
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2