2013-2015 Volvo S60 T5 Tuning RaceChip

RaceLover

Dear all,

If you have followed my previous thread, (http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2700072-mte-garage-bartley-biz-personal-experience/), you would know that I had a bad experience with an overpriced and un-usable custom tune (my opinion). Well to cut it short, aftermarket tuners haven’t not caught up with the skillset to tune newer Volvos yet. So after wasting $10k on some hot air blowing promises, I decided to just go with piggy back tuning from this company based in Germany called racechip. (http://www.racechip.com/chiptuning/volvo/s60/y20/t5-176kw/index.php). I paid $980 nett inclusive of labour and got the racechip ultimate. You can enquire it from Antz Automobile, Fong Kim, Nightz Concepts .

So to put it succinctly, my previous unstable tune from MTE was full of torque steer (car vibrating when you accelerate too hard), slow pickup from 0-200km/h, little increase from HP and max speed top out at 200km/h. I tested the car in NS highway and these are my feedback. I reverted back to stock for a while and installed the RaceChip. The RaceChip feel was instantaneous. Higher torque from lower rpm, much more stability with no torque steer, way faster acceleration from 0-200km/h and top speed max out at 220km/h. For a mere $980, these improvements are well worth the money.

Attached are the dyno for RaceChip and my previous unstable tune. While the unstable tune numbers look slightly better. It was a tune that was difficult to drive, huge fuel consumption and most importantly stalled the car constantly.

post-163178-0-07312100-1442306071_thumb.jpg

post-163178-0-37525900-1442306075_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ragingbull
↡ Advertisement

Just like to share a post from a real expert at the Volvo forum. I hope owners of newer Volvos have access to this information before believing in a conman's' promise of hardware upgrade.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> re-posted from Volvo forum:

Marcus

I note your thread in MCF and thank you for sharing your tuning experience here in VSG.

I shall remain as objective as possible, and these are my thoughts based on your dyno graphs.

In your quest for more hp, you have 'ventured' from stock to MTE and then back to stock and finally RaceChip.

I assumed that your dynos were done at the same centre under rather similar conditions with the same set of SAE correction factors.

You paid $980 for the RaceChip ultimate which on paper states you'll get 305hp, granted you mentioned abt improved driveability, don't you feel you are being short-changed with a mere peak power at 228.30hp and 281nm? Where are your 'additional' horses? Don't get me wrong - I am merely stating the facts and trying to point you in the right direction.

2013 stock S60 T5 specs are 240hp / 320nm / 230km top speed. There are no available Polestar optimization map for the ko3 turbo... you probably know why.

Don't take my word for it - Below is the compressor map of the ubiquitous BorgWarner KKK KO3 turbocharger.

On the vertical axis is your PR (Pressure Ratio) aka boost pressure. At PR 2.0, meaning 1 bar of boost above atmospheric pressure, you will achieve the furthest point on the horizontal axis, the point where you will achieve theoretical max airflow for the turbocharger, also known as the 'choke line'. This will also meant any boost higher or below 1 bar of boost, you will see less airflow and power created. Of course, you will see some slight variations from applications to applications (different car makes) due largely to the volumetric and cooling efficiencies in different setups. So what is that 'magical' airflow number?

Around 24lb/min, yes 24 volumetric pounds of air flowing thru the turbo compressor wheel per minute. Given that per lb of air would make roughly 9.5 - 10.5 hp in an internal combustion engine (Otto cycle), you will quickly realize that you really have limited potential above 240/250hp.

In a nutshell, I honestly think that you will be better off driving your car stock as all hardwares/maps are probably already optimized. You can spend $ on better flow exos to keep your turbo/engine happy, but save $ on air-intake - crucially, do not modify your air-intake hose after the MAF sensor.

Cheers.

See attached file "K03 Turbo Compress

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

marcuswee wrote:KingKong Bro,

Can I check with you what turbo upgrade would fit the Volvo S60 T5 non Drive-E as none of the so called expert tuners are able to give me an answer. They are only familiar with the older models.

The 2nd generation (starting 2010) Volvo S60 T5 employs a turbo that is integrated into the exhaust manifold, it uses sheet metal instead of casting - what this means is the turbocharger turbine section and the exhaust manifold is 1 piece. See picture below.

n essence, you cannot just swap turbo without changing the exhaust manifold and to be honest, I do not know of any tuning houses big or small, that is clever enough to build a kit with a larger turbo integrated into the Volvo patented sheet metal manifold.

Hate to dampen your hopes. Read more about it here.

see attached file for turbo

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/ ... ases/31621

PS: For info, what expert tuners? Most of the handful of Volvo experts I know are lurking in this forum, you just have to be in here long enough to know. winky.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

post-163178-0-00826400-1443000698_thumb.png

post-163178-0-94725200-1443000773_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Just like to share a post from a real expert at the Volvo forum. I hope owners of newer Volvos have access to this information before believing in a conman's' promise of hardware upgrade.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> re-posted from Volvo forum:

Marcus

I note your thread in MCF and thank you for sharing your tuning experience here in VSG.

I shall remain as objective as possible, and these are my thoughts based on your dyno graphs.

In your quest for more hp, you have 'ventured' from stock to MTE and then back to stock and finally RaceChip.

I assumed that your dynos were done at the same centre under rather similar conditions with the same set of SAE correction factors.

You paid $980 for the RaceChip ultimate which on paper states you'll get 305hp, granted you mentioned abt improved driveability, don't you feel you are being short-changed with a mere peak power at 228.30hp and 281nm? Where are your 'additional' horses? Don't get me wrong - I am merely stating the facts and trying to point you in the right direction.

2013 stock S60 T5 specs are 240hp / 320nm / 230km top speed. There are no available Polestar optimization map for the ko3 turbo... you probably know why.

Don't take my word for it - Below is the compressor map of the ubiquitous BorgWarner KKK KO3 turbocharger.

On the vertical axis is your PR (Pressure Ratio) aka boost pressure. At PR 2.0, meaning 1 bar of boost above atmospheric pressure, you will achieve the furthest point on the horizontal axis, the point where you will achieve theoretical max airflow for the turbocharger, also known as the 'choke line'. This will also meant any boost higher or below 1 bar of boost, you will see less airflow and power created. Of course, you will see some slight variations from applications to applications (different car makes) due largely to the volumetric and cooling efficiencies in different setups. So what is that 'magical' airflow number?

Around 24lb/min, yes 24 volumetric pounds of air flowing thru the turbo compressor wheel per minute. Given that per lb of air would make roughly 9.5 - 10.5 hp in an internal combustion engine (Otto cycle), you will quickly realize that you really have limited potential above 240/250hp.

In a nutshell, I honestly think that you will be better off driving your car stock as all hardwares/maps are probably already optimized. You can spend $ on better flow exos to keep your turbo/engine happy, but save $ on air-intake - crucially, do not modify your air-intake hose after the MAF sensor.

Cheers.

See attached file "K03 Turbo Compress

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

marcuswee wrote:KingKong Bro,

Can I check with you what turbo upgrade would fit the Volvo S60 T5 non Drive-E as none of the so called expert tuners are able to give me an answer. They are only familiar with the older models.

The 2nd generation (starting 2010) Volvo S60 T5 employs a turbo that is integrated into the exhaust manifold, it uses sheet metal instead of casting - what this means is the turbocharger turbine section and the exhaust manifold is 1 piece. See picture below.

n essence, you cannot just swap turbo without changing the exhaust manifold and to be honest, I do not know of any tuning houses big or small, that is clever enough to build a kit with a larger turbo integrated into the Volvo patented sheet metal manifold.

Hate to dampen your hopes. Read more about it here.

see attached file for turbo

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/ ... ases/31621

PS: For info, what expert tuners? Most of the handful of Volvo experts I know are lurking in this forum, you just have to be in here long enough to know. winky.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

GOOD INFO< Thanks.

So the limiting factor of the power increase is down to the turbo itself which is hard to swap due to design in the engine? Sorry just checking if my layman assumption is correct on this?

Dear all,

If you have followed my previous thread, (http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2700072-mte-garage-bartley-biz-personal-experience/), you would know that I had a bad experience with an overpriced and un-usable custom tune (my opinion). Well to cut it short, aftermarket tuners haven’t not caught up with the skillset to tune newer Volvos yet. So after wasting $10k on some hot air blowing promises, I decided to just go with piggy back tuning from this company based in Germany called racechip. (http://www.racechip.com/chiptuning/volvo/s60/y20/t5-176kw/index.php). I paid $980 nett inclusive of labour and got the racechip ultimate. You can enquire it from Antz Automobile, Fong Kim, Nightz Concepts .

So to put it succinctly, my previous unstable tune from MTE was full of torque steer (car vibrating when you accelerate too hard), slow pickup from 0-200km/h, little increase from HP and max speed top out at 200km/h. I tested the car in NS highway and these are my feedback. I reverted back to stock for a while and installed the RaceChip. The RaceChip feel was instantaneous. Higher torque from lower rpm, much more stability with no torque steer, way faster acceleration from 0-200km/h and top speed max out at 220km/h. For a mere $980, these improvements are well worth the money.

Attached are the dyno for RaceChip and my previous unstable tune. While the unstable tune numbers look slightly better. It was a tune that was difficult to drive, huge fuel consumption and most importantly stalled the car constantly.

From the explanation, it seems apparently so.

So the limiting factor of the power increase is down to the turbo itself which is hard to swap due to design in the engine? Sorry just checking if my layman assumption is correct on this?

Ouch that's gotta suck, thanks for pointing it out. I always had the impression TC cars always had a fair bit of "extra" give thru chipping/changing DP etc.

From the explanation, it seems apparently so.

For the Volvo S60 T5, I understand that it has been optimized at factory for the turbo provided.

If u see from the Volvo expert post, he suggest to keep everything stock. So I guess things have moved on beyond the norms of tuning.

Ouch that's gotta suck, thanks for pointing it out. I always had the impression TC cars always had a fair bit of "extra" give thru chipping/changing DP etc.

RaceChip Ultimate is definitely more reliable dan any of the local tuners. And if you add an aftermarket short ram intake or open pod it will even perform even better.

Many car makers are moving towards the turbocharger integration with the exhaust manifold. One, they are able to monopolise that part. Two, it prevents ppl from modifying or changing to a bigger TC. If they want to do it they still can with customised pipe works for the exhaust manifold but LTA not approved one. And provided there's space to do it.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Interesting,

For my car the F30 N20 engine seems to be quite tunable in regards to squeezing out extra horses with a tune, I'm not considering it due to concerns on the engine stress it causes.

That said I saw some discussions on how replacement engine (B48) for the N20 will be less tunable in comparison (similar turbo/piston restrictions). I believe manufacturers are moving towards this direction towards restricting individual power mods by design.

For the Volvo S60 T5, I understand that it has been optimized at factory for the turbo provided.

If u see from the Volvo expert post, he suggest to keep everything stock. So I guess things have moved on beyond the norms of tuning.

Meaning you blew another 1k for nothing?

😅

RaceChip Ultimate is definitely more reliable dan any of the local tuners. And if you add an aftermarket short ram intake or open pod it will even perform even better.

Many car makers are moving towards the turbocharger integration with the exhaust manifold. One, they are able to monopolise that part. Two, it prevents ppl from modifying or changing to a bigger TC. If they want to do it they still can with customised pipe works for the exhaust manifold but LTA not approved one. And provided there's space to do it.

Short ram open pod very noisy and take in hot air from engine bay

Is it really useful?

Hi Racelover.

I am on Racechip ultimate and definitely second you that the feel is instantaneous. Got the same ride as you S60T5. I would say that the car is more responsive at pickup. I think that is enough for driving in SG. I would like to check if you change the S2 dial inside from (stock) 0 - 8 (max). I am on 6 now and wondering what level are you on now?

Cheers!

Dear all,

Hi Iainyeo,

I have not toogled with the settings yet. Is there a major difference with a setting of 6 compared to 0?

Hi Racelover.

I am on Racechip ultimate and definitely second you that the feel is instantaneous. Got the same ride as you S60T5. I would say that the car is more responsive at pickup. I think that is enough for driving in SG. I would like to check if you change the S2 dial inside from (stock) 0 - 8 (max). I am on 6 now and wondering what level are you on now?

Cheers!

Yes bro, my car is more responsive! I was advised to do step by step. For me 0 -> 2 -> 4 -> 6. It is also indicated in the installation guide book. But for each step, try to let the car adapt for 2 days, watch out for warning lights, means it has reached the car optimum. Tune back if necessary. Mine is fine at 6 so far. Have fun and good luck!

"Disclaimer : Tune up at your own risk. It works for me but not sure about your ride... [thumbsup] "

Hi Iainyeo,

I have not toogled with the settings yet. Is there a major difference with a setting of 6 compared to 0?

Yes bro, my car is more responsive! I was advised to do step by step. For me 0 -> 2 -> 4 -> 6. It is also indicated in the installation guide book. But for each step, try to let the car adapt for 2 days, watch out for warning lights, means it has reached the car optimum. Tune back if necessary. Mine is fine at 6 so far. Have fun and good luck!

"Disclaimer : Tune up at your own risk. It works for me but not sure about your ride... [thumbsup] "

do you mean racechip recommended setting for your car is 0 and you changed it to 6?

Racechip recommended me to adjust the settings. [cool] Like I said it is also mentioned in the installation guide book that comes with it. But they are not able to advise what is the best settings for me.. I have to experience it myself. But again.. there is risk involve...

do you mean racechip recommended setting for your car is 0 and you changed it to 6?

Racechip recommended me to adjust the settings. [cool] Like I said it is also mentioned in the installation guide book that comes with it. But they are not able to advise what is the best settings for me.. I have to experience it myself. But again.. there is risk involve...

from what i know, racechip has a recommended optimum setting for every stock vehicle. This setting is stated on the racechip invoice out of the factory.

to change the setting to more or less aggressive is up to the user.

Edited by Enye
↡ Advertisement